Aminu Mohammed Commits to Georgetown

KDB

1 hour ago, IU4Ever said:

They're not looking at anything except maybe $ signs.  They're listening to handlers and AAU coaches who have been telling them they're the next greatest thing for far too many years and they believe it.  

Or, they recognize that the opportunity for development and pay in the G-League is at an all-time high and only going to be improving. That the advent of the 2-Way Contracts has been a big development for players on the NBA fringe being able to get more and more opportunity at making the NBA. 

I'm not advocating for everyone leaving, but the idea that these kids are prey being duped by agents and AAU coaches is an extremely old school mentality. There have been many things put into motion over the last 10 years or so (lowering the 1st round guarantee on number of years, expansion of the G-League, 2-way contracts, improved G-League pay, etc., etc.) that have made leaving college early without a 1st round guarantee much less of a risk. 

10 years ago guys like Juwan Morgan, Taco Fall, Tremont Waters, Brian Bowen, potentially even guys like Yogi Ferrell and Seth Curry, probably never step foot on an NBA court, but with the 2-Way Contracts and the lowering of the 1st round contract commitment, 2nd round picks and undrafted guys have a much better opportunity. 

It's not NBA or bust like it was 15, 20, 30+ years ago. 

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 3/30/2020 at 10:06 AM, BGleas said:

Or, they recognize that the opportunity for development and pay in the G-League is at an all-time high and only going to be improving. That the advent of the 2-Way Contracts has been a big development for players on the NBA fringe being able to get more and more opportunity at making the NBA. 

I'm not advocating for everyone leaving, but the idea that these kids are prey being duped by agents and AAU coaches is an extremely old school mentality. There have been many things put into motion over the last 10 years or so (lowering the 1st round guarantee on number of years, expansion of the G-League, 2-way contracts, improved G-League pay, etc., etc.) that have made leaving college early without a 1st round guarantee much less of a risk. 

10 years ago guys like Juwan Morgan, Taco Fall, Tremont Waters, Brian Bowen, potentially even guys like Yogi Ferrell and Seth Curry, probably never step foot on an NBA court, but with the 2-Way Contracts and the lowering of the 1st round contract commitment, 2nd round picks and undrafted guys have a much better opportunity. 

It's not NBA or bust like it was 15, 20, 30+ years ago. 

Agreed. While I would love what staying would do for college basketball and especially IU it is just crazy to pass up the guaranteed money and increased development afforded in the NBA and G-Leauge. I don’t want to look it up again but the numbers prove out. If you are a draft pick (certainly 1st rd but even 2nd rd) you have an excellent chance to make a roster at some point in the NBA. We all know 1st rd picks have guaranteed contracts but in the past 7 years over 60% of 2nd rd picks also received guaranteed contracts and almost 90% had received a guaranteed contact after playing in the g-league. Like you said...the avenue for a successful transition to the NBA and a life changing contract for these kids is better now then ever before.

4 hours ago, Moyeneeded said:

Hope the staff stays on top of this one! With no visitations due to the virus, I like it that he has been on campus before and had an enjoyable visit.

The way I'm seeing things there's really only two ways for kids like Aminu and Trey,etc....to go from here. They've done most of their homework, visited schools,etc...and feel good enough to make the call. Or what could be the worst situation for message board crowd....all things on hold until the fall. The old business saying of "time kills deals" might or could potentially be in play here. Hope not. I need a damn commit. 

10 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

The way I'm seeing things there's really only two ways for kids like Aminu and Trey,etc....to go from here. They've done most of their homework, visited schools,etc...and feel good enough to make the call. Or what could be the worst situation for message board crowd....all things on hold until the fall. The old business saying of "time kills deals" might or could potentially be in play here. Hope not. I need a damn commit. 

I could see these kids putting off their recruitment until the spring of their senior year.

5 hours ago, IU Scott said:

I could see these kids putting off their recruitment until the spring of their senior year.

Possibly...but usually offers start to dry up so they risk losing out their preferential schools. Also injuries could hurt their offers and then You risk transfers taking spots too. There is no rush now but I think by fall we still get commits. I honestly think those coaches that have been on them from the start have the advantage. Without the late summer tournaments teams like Duke and UK etc who usually swoop in the last second won’t have those chances to judge them and make inroads. I think the rankings won’t change a ton and that should mean most of these 50-150 kids should stay in the Indiana sphere and only the Uber elites will get those big school offers.

Per @jakeweingarten on twitter, Aminu Mohammed's guardian, shawn harmon, told Stockrisers that he spoke with Indiana's Archie Miller and their recruitment of him will pick up, heavily.  He had a "great visit" in jan.  Expect a heavy pursuit here.  Kansas St and Louisville also in on Aminu hard

I believe this Jake guy covers for Louisville basketball recruiting

39 minutes ago, gnet550 said:

Think someone said he’s a Louisville writer, so I take it in stride here

22 minutes ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

Yup he recently joined Louisville middle of last year I believe. 

Jake is a young national recruiting guy. He started as contributor for UK middle of last year as well.  I don’t know of any affiliation with UL.

18 minutes ago, CrimsonV said:

Jake is a young national recruiting guy. He started as contributor for UK middle of last year as well.  I don’t know of any affiliation with UL.

I assumed he joined Louisville when he was there for some time last summer following some recruits. 

Seems to know his stuff

I gotta say, I'm really surprised we haven't been hearing more about Maryland being heavily in the mix for Aminu. Obviously, they're still in the running per Weingarten's tweet but it just seems like you constantly hear about IU or Louisville when people are talking about who's really going after him. I don't know if it's just because I'm in the midwest myself and part of it is just my bubble sees more of the Louisville/IU reports, but you'd think there would be a lot more talk about Maryland making a huge push for him with all the misses in transfers Maryland has had so far this offseason, with how good their recruiting classes tend to be (surprisingly their 2020 class appears to be weak though), by finishing the season with a share of the Big Ten regular season title, and the fact that Aminu is from DC.

With all that being said, I'm very happy that it seems to be like us and Louisville are the favorites and people are hinting that things are looking very, very good for us.

6 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Two big things if we land Aminu. First top 50 outside the state recruit for Archie....and second we beat out UL again (Lander)...and then if Trey pops well even the better on the second point! Let’s keep UL off our targets!

I'm still completely in awe or I guess shock that Louisville is even in this thing. I get why Louisville is attractive I do....but don't these players/coaches realize they still have a hammer coming??? 

31 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I'm still completely in awe or I guess shock that Louisville is even in this thing. I get why Louisville is attractive I do....but don't these players/coaches realize they still have a hammer coming??? 

Yeah I'm sure the NCAA is super cereal this time.  I'd be shaking if I was UL.

Archived