Aminu Mohammed Commits to Georgetown

KDB

Well, I'll say this about the kid...

He's athletic, tough, can finish in traffic, and at least has good form on his jumper. He's a willing passer and a good defender from all of the scouting reports I read. 3.86 GPA and a model citizen who helps at youth camps. The recruiting services obviously see something in him.

I said before, the highlights remind me of the Illini's Andres Feliz only taller. Feliz never improved his outside shooting and that limited his game, but he was an able defender and fearless going to the rim...and he had that innate ability to finish.

Sign me up...

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

It's the covid-19 fault I tell ya! Everybody has thin skin now.....

Need to get out more....

Lol maybe but I leave home at 6:20 am and get home around 8:00pm. Busy on weekends but have a little down time. I think I need more time at home but nothing I can do about my commitments

2 hours ago, Cutter said:

I think I need more time at home but nothing I can do about my commitments

2 hours ago, Madison22 said:

Ah, this is easy.  Make silent verbals instead of commitments. 

If pressed further, have someone tweet that you're a heavy lean in that direction.  :coffee:

Or tweet that you'll be announcing your final ten next week

I want to get Aminu. However, there is certainly an added risk right now to getting commitments from top 20 players - especially those with no prior connection to the state/school. Counting on a guy like this only to have him go pro at the last minute could be very damaging. It’s a gamble - Michigan feeling the pain from it right now.

33 minutes ago, Go__Hoosiers said:

I want to get Aminu. However, there is certainly an added risk right now to getting commitments from top 20 players - especially those with no prior connection to the state/school. Counting on a guy like this only to have him go pro at the last minute could be very damaging. It’s a gamble - Michigan feeling the pain from it right now.

If we get Kaufman soon then I don’t see the worry in taking a swing at some big fish. At that point we would have already landed 3 of our top priorities and there’s over like 700 transfers a year with the potential for immediate eligibility.

On 4/28/2020 at 4:41 AM, Cutter said:

This isn’t directed at you but I don’t get the infatuation with this guy. We need players who can actually make a high percentage of their shots as well as being good at other aspects of the game. Other than highlights I don’t know much about him other than he is ranked highly. His scoring and rebounding stats are nice but I don’t think that will transfer to college without being able to shoot better than he does.jmho

I'll acknowledge that I'm biased and a huge Aminu fan. That being said, he's probably one of the most efficient scorers we've looked at. His HS season stats are a bit inflated, especially rebounding and scoring, but that talent is there.  

I watched a ton of his stuff last month while bored during the shutdown -- he's the real deal IMO. I was really excited to see how well he played in AAU this summer given how well he performed playing a year up on a stacked AAU team.  

• In 2019 EYBL summer league:
    • Played a year up on Boo Williams w/ several high profile 2020 prospects (Cam Thomas, Mark Williams, Zion Harmon, JT Thor to name a few)
    • 2nd highest scorer on team w/ a 17.5ppg average
    • Shot a team-high 57.3% FG%
    • Averaged 8.5 rebounds a game
      • Out-rebounded his teammate 7'0 ft. teammate Mark Williams (Duke commit ranked #31 in the 2020 class)
  • Shot 33% from 3P this HS season and supposedly around ~75% FT
    • Given his progression, there's no reason why an optimistic fan couldn't expect him to get to ≥35% 3PT% in his senior season
  • He's got a good mid-range game -- check out some of the full length videos out there on YT from AAU & his HS season. He's definitely not a 10 ft. and in scorer. 
  • He's got a good handle and he's physical with a +5" wingspan.
    • His dribble-drive game is going to be hard to stop, especially as he gets better using his physicality. What really stands out is how well he can finish through contact.  

11 hours ago, Go__Hoosiers said:

Could certainly happen but that's why I love how Archie is building this roster. He's got quality players who can take Aminu minutes (if something like you describe happened) right away and there might not be that much of a drop off.

Regarding Aminu. Can't tell you how important it would be to get a 5 star out of state recruit...not just he's an elite level recruit but it shows Archie's reach is expanding. Very important to future recruits too. 

14 hours ago, Go__Hoosiers said:

In the Michigan case it was rumored that Todd was going to go pro when he committed. The thing is I don’t think a lot of players will jump to the G-league because they want notoriety and I’m sorry but playing at a IU with chance at the NCAA tournament is much more notable for players than playing for the Mad Ants. This G-league deal will get a few guys but there were several players that turned them down this year. Caleb Love turned it down to stick with his UNC commitment.

1 hour ago, DC2345 said:

In the Michigan case it was rumored that Todd was going to go pro when he committed. The thing is I don’t think a lot of players will jump to the G-league because they want notoriety and I’m sorry but playing at a IU with chance at the NCAA tournament is much more notable for players than playing for the Mad Ants. This G-league deal will get a few guys but there were several players that turned them down this year. Caleb Love turned it down to stick with his UNC commitment.

That’s the thing with this new g-league thing. It isn’t really the g-league. They are a select team that isn’t affiliated with any nba team and they will mostly play like international teams practice squads and maybe other g-league teams. They don’t even have a gym to play in or a coach of the team right now. The rumor is they’ll play at the mamba academy but that hasn’t been confirmed yet, so other than the money and I guess being able to work on basketball with no class I don’t see the benefits. 

1 hour ago, IUskim said:

That’s the thing with this new g-league thing. It isn’t really the g-league. They are a select team that isn’t affiliated with any nba team and they will mostly play like international teams practice squads and maybe other g-league teams. They don’t even have a gym to play in or a coach of the team right now. The rumor is they’ll play at the mamba academy but that hasn’t been confirmed yet, so other than the money and I guess being able to work on basketball with no class I don’t see the benefits. 

Those are also great benefits. You forgot to mention that coaching time wouldn't be restricted as it is in the NCAA. It's also expected the coach will be NBA caliber. In one of the articles I read it said the likely pick was an ex-NBA coach whose name I can't recall at the moment. 

This thread is supposed to be about Aminu Mohammed, though. There's another thread on the general discussion that has a similar conversation going on.

3 minutes ago, go_iu_bb said:

Those are also great benefits. You forgot to mention that coaching time wouldn't be restricted as it is in the NCAA. It's also expected the coach will be NBA caliber. In one of the articles I read it said the likely pick was an ex-NBA coach whose name I can't recall at the moment. 

This thread is supposed to be about Aminu Mohammed, though. There's another thread on the general discussion that has a similar conversation going on.

Sam Mitchell is the rumored name. 

On 4/28/2020 at 7:41 AM, Cutter said:

This isn’t directed at you but I don’t get the infatuation with this guy. We need players who can actually make a high percentage of their shots as well as being good at other aspects of the game. Other than highlights I don’t know much about him other than he is ranked highly. His scoring and rebounding stats are nice but I don’t think that will transfer to college without being able to shoot better than he does.jmho

No worries Cutter, the infatuation is due to his size and strength at such a young age that reminds me of Lebron!  No comparison of Lebron but the kid is built to drive and get to the lane as a FR in any league he chooses to play in.  You can't teach size and strength but your right that it might not make him an immediate star that we all see but man I would hate to see him go to MD or any other team and see him dominate because he didn't have an outside shot!!!  Nobody is seeing a great shooter but Everybody is seeing a dominate presence around the rim!

Archived