Aminu Mohammed Commits to Georgetown

KDB

21 hours ago, Go__Hoosiers said:

I want to get Aminu. However, there is certainly an added risk right now to getting commitments from top 20 players - especially those with no prior connection to the state/school. Counting on a guy like this only to have him go pro at the last minute could be very damaging. It’s a gamble - Michigan feeling the pain from it right now.

Have you ever been told "It's better to have lost a love, then to have never been loved at all"?  Let's get him and worry about losing him later.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, BornHoosier said:

Have you ever been told "It's better to have lost a love, then to have never been loved at all"?  Let's get him and worry about losing him later.

Were we better off for landing Noah Vonleh and Thomas Bryant? 

Aminu is so intriguing to me because like others have said, I don't know if I have seen many players look quit so much like a man amongst boys. He definitely has that LeBron or Zion physicality to his game. Dominating while playing up a level in AAU just shows that it will 100% follow him to college.  

58 minutes ago, IndySportsPartizan said:

Aminu is so intriguing to me because like others have said, I don't know if I have seen many players look quit so much like a man amongst boys. He definitely has that LeBron or Zion physicality to his game. Dominating while playing up a level in AAU just shows that it will 100% follow him to college.  

George McGinnis.

I don’t put Thomas Bryant and Vonleh in the same bucket.   I really like Bryant.  He was a true IU guy and still is.  He was committed to the team and wore his emotions on his sleeve.  He was enthusiastic and all in.  Vonleh, on the other hand, was a blur.  He’s a footnote who isn’t remembered.   Yes, he was a good player in the sense that he was picked in the top ten.  He was a good rebounder. But he was on a team that had no synergy and appeared to not get along. Unlike Thomas, he was not all in, and is nowhere to be found as an ex-player.   I just don’t think a Vonleh helps the progress of the program.  I’d pass on him.  Don’t blow the opportunity cost for a player who will help the progress of the program.  My inclination is I’d much rather have a Logan Duncomb type of recruit over Vonleh.   

29 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I don’t put Thomas Bryant and Vonleh in the same bucket.   I really like Bryant.  He was a true IU guy and still is.  He was committed to the team and wore his emotions on his sleeve.  He was enthusiastic and all in.  Vonleh, on the other hand, was a blur.  He’s a footnote who isn’t remembered.   Yes, he was a good player in the sense that he was picked in the top ten.  He was a good rebounder. But he was on a team that had no synergy and appeared to not get along. Unlike Thomas, he was not all in, and is nowhere to be found as an ex-player.   I just don’t think a Vonleh helps the progress of the program.  I’d pass on him.  Don’t blow the opportunity cost for a player who will help the progress of the program.  My inclination is I’d much rather have a Logan Duncomb type of recruit over Vonleh.   

This post made me wonder... Say you had to replace Bryant with either Vonleh or Duncomb.  You’d get Vonleh only for the 2015-2016 season, but you’d get Duncomb from 2015-2019.  All the other players on the roster would remain the same.

Which one would you pick?  I’m honestly not sure.

4 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

This post made me wonder... Say you had to replace Bryant with either Vonleh or Duncomb.  You’d get Vonleh only for the 2015-2016 season, but you’d get Duncomb from 2015-2019.  All the other players on the roster would remain the same.

It’s a good post by bobS, duncomb has yet to accomplish anything but we understand the comparison.  I would go with a solid 4 star 4 year contributor if I had the luxury of hindsight.  But you gotta take someone like Noah when you can if you run a high level program.  Recruiting sure isn’t easy.

30 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Take the four year guy any day over a one a done player who did nothing for IU.

47 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Vonleh. Kids in the green room eventually have a higher probability of us returning to the F4.

2 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Vonleh. Kids in the green room eventually have a higher probability of us returning to the F4.

You take the talent and worry about the rest later. Nobody knew Vonleh wouldn’t translate to more success. The next one might. You put Uber talent on a good team and great things can happen. Romeo wasn’t on a even a medicore team much less a good one. That said his success translates down the line to our success. I don’t think you can build a program or even a team from the ground up with just 5*....I mean it killed Vanderbilt...but you mix in a couple stud players to a solid core (which I think we are just a year or two away from) then you have a chance at something.

42 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

This is the way I was leaning... the ‘15-‘16 team would have been just as good with Vonleh as it was with Bryant, if not better, potentially.  And Duncomb wouldn’t have contributed much to that team as a freshman.

But then I thought about what the ‘18-‘19 team would have looked like with a senior Duncomb, and it gave me a little pause... Think of an Evan Fitzner that actually belonged at IU and would have been a high-level starter alongside Juwan.  Not to mention what Duncomb would’ve brought as a sophomore and junior.

I’d still probably go with Vonleh knowing how good that ‘15-‘16 team was, but it’s a little closer than I initially thought.

On 5/1/2020 at 9:42 AM, IndySportsPartizan said:

Thomas Bryant lacked athleticism and Noah Vonleh left a yr ealry before he was ready!

I echo your thoughts about Aminu being a man among'st boys AT HIS POSITION which makes it so intriguing!!!  I don't remember a player at Aminu's position being so dominant because normally that is the BIG MEN ON CAMPUS!!!  Were talking freaking GUARD here!!!

On 5/2/2020 at 4:43 PM, Moyeneeded said:

Mohammed speaking with the Maryland staff today, then the Pittsburgh staff tomorrow. per Stockrisers

This kids physique will make any opposing player crap in his diaper before tipoff guaranteed!!!!   Hope we don't sell this kid short just because he is an out of State player!!!

On 5/1/2020 at 6:15 PM, BobSaccamanno said:

Thomas Bryant's biggest issue is he lacked athleticism but at the same time you can't pass on that talent!  I shouldn't have commented on this thread because I have no clue who the hell Logan Duncomb is or what he accomplished?

On 5/4/2020 at 4:32 PM, Hoosierdave said:

With that open scholarship it’d be nice to have him reclass. Him and Lander would be a tough back court for opponents for the next 2 years. 

The biggest thing that sticks out with a reclassification, is that Lander & Aminu can play with arguably a TOP big man in the game and thats TJD!!  I've said it before and I will say it again that this IU staff needs to hit a homerun with the GIFT that was given to them in a TJD return!!!  W/O Aminu =  a lost hopeful wish but with Aminu all bets are off for that longing # 6!!  If Miller can real in this fish, he will hang # 6!  BAM, GO HOOSIERS!

40 minutes ago, BornHoosier said:

The biggest thing that sticks out with a reclassification, is that Lander & Aminu can play with arguably a TOP big man in the game and thats TJD!!  I've said it before and I will say it again that this IU staff needs to hit a homerun with the GIFT that was given to them in a TJD return!!!  W/O Aminu =  a lost hopeful wish but with Aminu all bets are off for that longing # 6!!  If Miller can real in this fish, he will hang # 6!  BAM, GO HOOSIERS!

The hard part though is if Aminu wasn’t planning on the reclass it would be pretty hard to pick up credits now id bet

4 minutes ago, gnet550 said:

The hard part though is if Aminu wasn’t planning on the reclass it would be pretty hard to pick up credits now id bet

Most def, didn't even think of that aspect!  I have no idea where the kid is at academically to suspect if it is even possible or not online?  It must be somewhat possible if MD is even thinking it right?  2020 would be a Pipe Dream but 2021 can still make us ALL Scream!  Doesn't matter when you get him as long as you get him as a SR Phinisee, JR Franklin, FR Mohammed would be the best 3 guard lineup of ANY National Media's Stream!  If this isn't enough for your Hoosier Hysteria to Beam, you lost that love and feeling it may Seem!  Go Hoosiers!

Archived