Aminu Mohammed Commits to Georgetown

KDB

I agree that the lack of interest from the highest-tier schools has always been a concern regarding Mohammed. But on the other hand, the weaknesses in his game ironically also make him a more attractive prospect in some respects, as he would appear to be the type of guy who would be more likely to stick around for 2-4 years.

Put differently, Mohammed may be over-ranked given the lack of UK/Duke/KU/UNC offers. But if so, then he's probably in reality more of a top 20-40 type guy, which is exactly the range of player that most people here think we should be targeting.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Coach SS is well connected and he’s the type of poster who I drop everything to read and then re-read for good measure.   Look at his background and how many coaches he knows.  In many cases, he’s passing along information shared with him.   So, I don’t get the angst about what he says when, in many cases, he’s just the messenger.  And frankly, we are lucky to have the message passed to us.  At least that’s the way I look at it.   If it weren’t for Sam, I may not have even known anything about Nate Johnson out of Ohio.  Another poster may not want Johnson at IU, and that’s fine, but Sam bringing the player to our attention doesn’t change the fact that IU is looking at him.  Just my two cents.  We are all friends here.

2 hours ago, CoachSS said:

Hyping up a kid isn't the same as saying Indiana should offer him. Do you realize that? I offered a glimpse into his game and what the college coaches who are recruiting him now (not the MAC schools) have been saying. 

Also, your wording the other day "scrub" suggests you have seen him play and you don't think he's good enough. Is that accurate? I don't know who you are but your tone has been... Eh, not ideal. And, if he is a scrub then how come Archie (and 3-4 other high majors) wants him to visit in the fall? 

Outside of the one highlight video you can find on the internet?  No.  I don’t pay that much attention until they’re offered by “someone good.”

And as far as a potential visit goes, it’s never a bad idea to have a back-up plan for your back-up plan in case of emergency.

1 hour ago, 5 championships said:

Not sure why Coach SS is so bullish on this kid.. seems like a really solid 2-3 year guy to me! I’d love to have him. I’d like someone to break down the numbers on 5 stars and how many of them were not a factor to success on their college teams. Maybe they don’t go pro but if I had to guess I’d think about every kid inside the top 20 in the rankings had some positive impact as long as they were healthy. Defiantly have a better chance % wise of impacting a program rather than a kid outside the top 125.. They only way I would stay away is of the kid is a cancer and or bad teammate. 

He's got OAD potential due to his physical attributes and athletic ability. He's definitely got major upside due to those qualities but definitely needs 2-3 years of work.

I won't speak for SS, but sounds like with Wesley still in the mix, we're better off taking him. Wesley at this point in the game is more skilled than Aminu. May take Wesley a year or two to develop a college body, but his skill-set makes him an intriguing 3-4 year player.

9 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Coach SS is well connected and he’s the type of poster who I drop everything to read and then re-read for good measure.   Look at his background and how many coaches he knows.  In many cases, he’s passing along information shared with him.   So, I don’t get the angst about what he says when, in many cases, he’s just the messenger.  And frankly, we are lucky to have the message passed to us.  At least that’s the way I look at it.   If it weren’t for Sam, I may not have even known anything about Nate Johnson out of Ohio.  Another poster may not want Johnson at IU, and that’s fine, but Sam bringing the player to our attention doesn’t change the fact that IU is looking at him.  Just my two cents.  We are all friends here.

Thumbs up!!!

We have a lot of posters that have great information. CoachSS is one of those and I am glad that he posts here! 

I have (and he has too) always been open for people questioning his information...but I draw the line at questioning  his intentions for posting. If you don't believe him or feel he has an ulterior motive then don't listen to him. 

Cheers!

1 hour ago, Colonialcrester said:

Thumbs up!!!

We have a lot of posters that have great information. CoachSS is one of those and I am glad that he posts here! 

I have (and he has too) always been open for people questioning his information...but I draw the line at questioning  his intentions for posting. If you don't believe him or feel he has an ulterior motive then don't listen to him. 

Cheers!

Sam and I go way back. Just like you and me.  I can tell HSN.  Things that Sam has shared with me, and asked to keep to myself over the years have turned out to be be true. I think that he will agree with me, that at times things have not turned out as we were led to believe.  Heck. We are dealing with teenagers here.  When my son was a teenager, he told me things, that I put my trust in. Only to find out he changed his mind the next day.  I call it the Jared Jeffries rule.

You are right. CC. Have many members that we should be thankful that they are willing to share information with us.  Sam... IS tuned in. Like you. I am happy to have him as a member. 

20 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Sam and I go way back. Just like you and me.  I can tell HSN.  Things that Sam has shared with me, and asked to keep to myself over the years have turned out to be be true. I think that he will agree with me, that at times things have not turned out as we were led to believe.  Heck. We are dealing with teenagers here.  When my son was a teenager, he told me things, that I put my trust in. Only to find out he changed his mind the next day.  I call it the Jared Jeffries rule.

You are right. CC. Have many members that we should be thankful that they are willing to share information with us.  Sam... IS tuned in. Like you. I am happy to have him as a member. 

How did Jared Jeffries recruitment go? I wasn’t alive back then so I don’t know much. But wasn’t he rumored to be going to Duke before choosing IU?

2 hours ago, CoachSS said:

This is very well said. I agree with it. He's as far from a one-and-done as just about any other highly "ranked" player could be. But, he could be a good program type of player down the road. 

Interesting, this has long been my suspicion as well. I think he'd be a great addition.

How many times have you been able to watch him in person? Actually had the chance myself last fall but couldn't unfortunately. 

36 minutes ago, btroesch14 said:

How did Jared Jeffries recruitment go? I wasn’t alive back then so I don’t know much. But wasn’t he rumored to be going to Duke before choosing IU?

So.... the story goes.  Jared went to bed the night before making his announcement. And told his parents he was going to Duke.  Woke up the next morning... only to announced for IU instead.

Great to have you as a member.  We need more younger members and posters.  Hope you are staying safe during this virus thingee. 

2 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Coach SS (Sam) is the man! Someone who provides us with excellent information when he really doesn't have to. I am total agreement with Bob on Coach and I thank him for his insight.

One of the truly outstanding members who contribute to this wonderful forum!

1 hour ago, milehiiu said:

So.... the story goes.  Jared went to bed the night before making his announcement. And told his parents he was going to Duke.  Woke up the next morning... only to announced for IU instead.

Great to have you as a member.  We need more younger members and posters.  Hope you are staying safe during this virus thingee. 

Thanks, I’m a big IU fan. I’m interested in other recruiting stories and stuff like that. 

2 hours ago, btroesch14 said:

Makes me feel old if you weren't even born when we were recruiting Jefferies.

2021 is also a weak class compared to 2020. Lander dropped 10 spots reclassifying up; I am sure Muhammad would do the same, which would put him around the cutoff between 4 and 5 star, much like TJD. As discussed above, TJD did not have current blue blood offers. Nor did Lander. Not sure why that is an issue. Louisville, Maryland, and Indiana are good programs that often go against each other for the same player. 

21 hours ago, BornHoosier said:

He must not be the Hercules we all made him out to be??  Pretty sure Lebron or Zion wouldn't back down from the physicality the B10 brings day in and day out!  Time to move on...

Truly bizarre post considering neither LeBron nor Zion opted to play in the Big Ten. I am sure you would move on from them as prospects.

7 hours ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Interesting breakdown.  Would be interested to see if that’s the case in other years as well.  Regardless, it’s still the case that TJD didn’t have offers from any of those schools, and Mohammed has three “next tier” offers from UL, Maryland, and IU.

After seeing your reply I looked at the year before (2018 recruits). 31 five stars. 29 went to college. Of the 29 college bound 5 stars (per 247) 26 of them were offered by the “big 4” of U.K., KU, UNC, Duke. Pretty much identical to the 2019 class.

On 5/18/2020 at 1:26 PM, CoachSS said:

This is very well said. I agree with it. He's as far from a one-and-done as just about any other highly "ranked" player could be. But, he could be a good program type of player down the road. 

Interesting take Coach that only time will tell who was right or who was wrong!  I tend to believe that Aminu's game is better suited for College ball than the NBA which is a critical factor in a kids ranking or projection.  In College, his physicality will dominate from day one regardless of an outside shot but in the NBA he is just another dude that needs to find a niche.  From what I gather, you are stating that with a lack of an outside game that Aminu is not a must have recruit for IU and he projects to be at least a 3 yr player in the College game?  Well that my friend will all depend on this kids work ethic and his desire to be the best of the best as I have witnessed first hand a kid that had all the athleticism in the World but had the ugliest shot known to mankind!  This kids name is Victor Oladipo, a 3 star recruit who as a FR couldn't hit water if he fell out of a boat but with a determination became an NBA Star!  For anyone to downplay this kids importance due to a lack of distance shooting is absurd and especially with the known physical traits that he brings to the table.  I will project that with sufficient playing time, Aminu will lead the team in rebounds as a FR and as a Guard.  You just can't teach brute strength and toughness but you can help add to his game.  

Not going to copy/paste every one of his tweets but Shawn Harmon is taking to twitter right now kind of summing up conference, style of play, teams involved...am starting to wonder what's going on with Mohammed. Not saying it's a negative but seems like a lot of chatter from his group. Not sure what I think about that. I don't like noise from the group or inner circles of players before they've even decided on where they will be playing.

24 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Not going to copy/paste every one of his tweets but Shawn Harmon is taking to twitter right now kind of summing up conference, style of play, teams involved...am starting to wonder what's going on with Mohammed. Not saying it's a negative but seems like a lot of chatter from his group. Not sure what I think about that. I don't like noise from the group or inner circles of players before they've even decided on where they will be playing.

I saw that too. The tweet about Texas Tech makes literally no sense. 

9BCE651A-1D0F-43CE-A083-B77BAE8155E6.png

37640B7B-9C7C-45CF-AF6F-C393777A8F24.png

10 minutes ago, btroesch14 said:

I'm trying to decipher what he's basically saying with all the tweets. He seems to keep saying those don't and another option does is my best guess.

26 minutes ago, btroesch14 said:

Wait, if I'm reading the the Auburn tweet right it looks like Mohammed wants to transition to PG or at least try it in college? I guess that kind of makes sense for a 6'4" SG with NBA aspirations who isn't a good shooter but this is the first I've seen he that he might be thinking that. 

6 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

B48E5D14-65C7-4220-96D0-BBA47DAB56DC.jpeg.f302d7d1c0ac5b76de3bf33b76621ba7.jpeg

What is scary is that someone whose grammar is this bad is helping the kid make the biggest decision of his life...(if he is part of his decision circle).

Lets be real...not many high major conferences are going to be a place where you won’t be tested. If the kid wants that I’d say head out West....Oregon, UCLA, or Arizona.

What IU can offer is an offense where all guards and wings handle the ball a great deal...the high ball screens and hand offs we use also is NBA translatable. I might not like our offense but it does have some good pick n roll elements.

Archived