Aminu Mohammed Commits to Georgetown

KDB

3 hours ago, KDB said:

Rivals ranks Indiana as the top contender for Aminu Mohammed.

https://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/news/ranking-the-contenders-aminu-mohammed

Didn’t think he would go the g league route but that could be an option it seems. Guess we will just play it out. Really think he would be a fan favorite if he did land in Bloomington. Not many kids like him...and as much as I love Indiana kids not seen too many of those like Aminu around here either.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, KDB said:

Rivals ranks Indiana as the top contender for Aminu Mohammed.

https://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/news/ranking-the-contenders-aminu-mohammed

I really like our chances if the runner up right now is Georgetown. Yea he’d have a starting role there but all their talent left and I don’t see Ewing doing very well on the recruiting trail lately. 

13 hours ago, Hoosierdave said:

I really like our chances if the runner up right now is Georgetown. Yea he’d have a starting role there but all their talent left and I don’t see Ewing doing very well on the recruiting trail lately. 

I agree with what you say.

G'town probably runner up because his guardian from DC area, and Aminu went to school in the area for a short time.

4 hours ago, slojoe said:

I agree with what you say.

G'town probably runner up because his guardian from DC area, and Aminu went to school in the area for a short time.

Indeed...they also have a huge backcourt void to fill but when you see writers throw out programs like that who haven’t been heavily involved it is just click bait for the fans in that market....a big market by the way.

46 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Indeed...they also have a huge backcourt void to fill but when you see writers throw out programs like that who haven’t been heavily involved it is just click bait for the fans in that market....a big market by the way.

If I'm a guard especially, I would rather be coached by Archie Miller than Patrick Ewing.

If I'm being honest, I don't see Patrick Ewing being much of a coach period.  I've said from the beginning that Georgetown made a big mistake with that hire.  You're sacrificing long-term program viability for a little short-term recruiting buzz.  Same thing at Memphis.

I'm with @Hoosierdave...if Georgetown is the main competition here, I feel good for IU's chances landing this kid.  My suspicion is that they won't be.

8 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

If I'm a guard especially, I would rather be coached by Archie Miller than Patrick Ewing.

If I'm being honest, I don't see Patrick Ewing being much of a coach period.  I've said from the beginning that Georgetown made a big mistake with that hire.  You're sacrificing long-term program viability for a little short-term recruiting buzz.  Same thing at Memphis.

I'm with @Hoosierdave...if Georgetown is the main competition here, I feel good for IU's chances landing this kid.  My suspicion is that they won't be.

Does Georgia pose any threat here. 

4 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Does Georgia pose any threat here. 

More than Georgetown?  I would say so.  Tome Crean is probably texting him "Victor Oladipo" every day.  If we're lucky, maybe it's just "I've been thinking about you a lot."

1 minute ago, FKIM01 said:

More than Georgetown?  I would say so.  Tome Crean is probably texting him "Victor Oladipo" every day.  If we're lucky, maybe it's just "I've been thinking about you a lot."

Too funny maybe true though. VO, DWADE  now Edwards  you would think top guards would at least listen to his pitch 

52 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Too funny maybe true though. VO, DWADE  now Edwards  you would think top guards would at least listen to his pitch 

And it's a pitch worth listening to as well. People can bang on Crean for a variety of things. Getting players to the league and excelling in the league isn't one of them. 

1 minute ago, Billingsley99 said:

For sure.  We know his flaws, but he has a pitch that could resonate, especially when competing against Ewing.  Show me a guard Ewing has put into the league.  I see a lot of them getting a taste and instead, leaving his program.

Crean vs. Miller is a much tougher fight for CTC.  Miller could at least play the game at the guard spot.  I remember Crean's cringe-worthy shooting display at Maui.

5 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

For sure.  We know his flaws, but he has a pitch that could resonate, especially when competing against Ewing.  Show me a guard Ewing has put into the league.  I see a lot of them getting a taste and instead, leaving his program.

Crean vs. Miller is a much tougher fight for CTC.  Miller could at least play the game at the guard spot.  I remember Crean's cringe-worthy shooting display at Maui.

Quite true. When you hear DWADE talk about  the impact CTC had on him outside of the game might resonate well with many kids

1 hour ago, FKIM01 said:

The funny thing is that Oladipo would tell Aminu IU>UGA anyway so not really sure how effective that aspect of his pitch would be lol.

3 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

Not sure if it’s really relevant to the Crean getting guys to the league debate and can’t remeber where I read it, but I saw a note that if you count high school, AAU and his year at Georgia, Anthony Edwards has never played for a team whose record was above .500. 

Thats a crazy for a player of his caliber and maybe says something. 

4 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Not sure if it’s really relevant to the Crean getting guys to the league debate and can’t remeber where I read it, but I saw a note that if you count high school, AAU and his year at Georgia, Anthony Edwards has never played for a team whose record was above .500. 

Thats a crazy for a player of his caliber and maybe says something. 

Sounds like the Knicks will be drafting him. :coffee:

6 hours ago, gnet550 said:

This from Joe Tipton...he does edits for the kids when they commit and is usually pretty in-tune with things.

8899C05D-D61A-40AE-A6BD-7B3166DD378D.png

That kind of looks like the order many on here have suggested. Some still are not high on this kid and they have reasons that I am not aware of. I get excited about the thought of landing this kid

24 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

That kind of looks like the order many on here have suggested. Some still are not high on this kid and they have reasons that I am not aware of. I get excited about the thought of landing this kid

I am excited if we land this kid.  I think if he has some "ME" issues, that can be corrected with the proper guidance and staff and I believe in CAM and staff.  Not sure if he has "ME" or "I" mentality or not.  The level of competition is my concern that he is playing against today, again not sure what type of competition he is going up against.  If he can get buckets and makes the team better and gives us a dynamic player next to Lander and others, I am all on board. 

11 minutes ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

I am excited if we land this kid.  I think if he has some "ME" issues, that can be corrected with the proper guidance and staff and I believe in CAM and staff.  Not sure if he has "ME" or "I" mentality or not.  The level of competition is my concern that he is playing against today, again not sure what type of competition he is going up against.  If he can get buckets and makes the team better and gives us a dynamic player next to Lander and others, I am all on board. 

I am not opposed to a little ME all the greats have it. The great ones find ways to use it to make the people around them better. They fond a way to win.  You only hear ME issues when teams lose 

14 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

I am not opposed to a little ME all the greats have it. The great ones find ways to use it to make the people around them better. They fond a way to win.  You only hear ME issues when teams lose 

Valid points above.  Kid could be great and if he wills himself and the team to find ways to win I am all in.  I think CAM is doing a fantastic job as of late and this recruiting program is heading in the right direction and could be on the cusp of something very special, similar to what Nova is and has been doing.

19 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

I'll echo these sentiments. Don't mind a little ME either. Plus...even though we are trending in a very good direction we aren't in a position to decline 5 star prospects. If wants to come here I'd be ecstatic. 

1 hour ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

Don't think the kid has any ME issues.  I've said this before but there are many things that says he isn't.  His decision to move to Missouri to be with and near his bro instead of remain in the DC area where certainly he would have gotten big press.  The decision to go to a school with good academics indicates that he does think about the future after basketball.  There is other stuff.  But I don't see any ME problems.

Part of what IU has been missing the last few years is a true alpha.  I am not opposed to a little ME attitude either if it fits well within the team.  Every team needs a guy who wants the ball and isn't afraid to be "the guy", and a little swag usually goes along with that.  

Archived