Aminu Mohammed Commits to Georgetown

KDB

14 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Also how will it work, will a program be able to get deals with companies and pitch that to players.  So how will they use the NIL into the recruiting process.

I don't think they'll allow it to (openly) be part of the recruitment. What the schools will probably be allowed to do is what IU had already prepared to do with their recent actions: education and compliance support. From the articles I've read, it's unlikely the schools will be able to directly line up deals for the athletes. I think it would be smart for IU make clear how large and well spread the alumni are and how passionate the fan base is. A smart kid will be able to put 2 and 2 together.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, go_iu_bb said:

I don't think they'll allow it to (openly) be part of the recruitment. What the schools will probably be allowed to do is what IU had already prepared to do with their recent actions: education and compliance support. From the articles I've read, it's unlikely the schools will be able to directly line up deals for the athletes. I think it would be smart for IU make clear how large and well spread the alumni are and how passionate the fan base is. A smart kid will be able to put 2 and 2 together.

Yes and if you get it off and going well kids can see what other kids got. I just think being transparent and assisting the kids in navigating the environment and not putting road blocks in the way but rather assisting with compliance and details is enough. The market will do the rest...and we have a great market with Indy being a sports town.

• 2 weeks later...
53 minutes ago, JABBATHEHOOSIER said:

Hopefully, his "guardian" will choose IU. His responses almost make him sound like he has no say.

https://www.insidethehall.com/2020/09/18/2021-five-star-aminu-mohammed-updates-recruitment/

Not a fan of this. Something seems off.

Fortunately the guardian does like IU and our history, but it feels like he has way too much influence over this recruitment. 

13 minutes ago, GrangerHoosier said:

Not a fan of this. Something seems off.

Fortunately the guardian does like IU and our history, but it feels like he has way too much influence over this recruitment. 

It's hard to disagree, that was quite bizarre. The only thing I can come up with to make these seem normal would be if he's just referencing the restrictions covid puts on things. As in, he, Aminu, would normally visit IU, but his guardian would be the one to get him there and the guardian doesn't know if he's up for that. I have no idea if that's what's going on, but it's the only thing that doesn't make this kid sound extremely helicopter guardianed. 

Will you be releasing a top-5 school before that?

My guardian doesn’t really care about no top-5 or lists like that. We’re going to show gratitude to all the schools, we’re not cutting nobody out. It’s just going to be a decision that’s made and that’s it. And we’re going to thank the other schools for recruiting me and everything.” 

When asked about his top-5 schools,....This was the reply that really made me do a "double-take" and re-read just to make sure that's what he said....Very odd. 

7 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

Will you be releasing a top-5 school before that?

My guardian doesn’t really care about no top-5 or lists like that. We’re going to show gratitude to all the schools, we’re not cutting nobody out. It’s just going to be a decision that’s made and that’s it. And we’re going to thank the other schools for recruiting me and everything.” 

When asked about his top-5 schools,....This was the reply that really made me do a "double-take" and re-read just to make sure that's what he said....Very odd. 

I much prefer that to a kid limiting his list to his top 12 schools.

As far as a visit to IU goes. He's been on campus.  And has attended an IUBB game. 

3 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

I much prefer that to a kid limiting his list to his top 12 schools.

As far as a visit to IU goes. He's been on campus.  And has attended an IUBB game. 

I agree mile....but it is HIS decision, ultimately,.... maybe logistics and travel plans are on the guardian/IU. I guess you can say that he has respect for his guardian in his decision making......

41 minutes ago, Indykev said:

Calm down. We wouldnt of had Isaiah Thomas if his mother didnt say your going to IU and thats it. Whether its a parent or Guardian, they always have a say.

Well forgive my ignorance, but where are the parents? Are they not involved in his life, back in his home country, etc.?

And does anyone know how he met this "guardian"? I'm honestly trying not to be cynical here, because he is talented and I do want him at IU. He also does seem like a good kid.

But when it walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck...

While we all know family will give their 2 cents on schools, it did IMO come across like he’s completely indifferent towards his college choice and leaving up to his guardian to make the final call.

I would still love to have him. Very talented on both ends of the floor, hard worker, humble, intelligent (on and off the court). Seems like he would be a big all around addition. 

21 minutes ago, GrangerHoosier said:

Well forgive my ignorance, but where are the parents? Are they not involved in his life, back in his home country, etc.?

And does anyone know how he met this "guardian"? I'm honestly trying not to be cynical here, because he is talented and I do want him at IU. He also does seem like a good kid.

But when it walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck...

Since he is a native of Nigeria, I believe, I am guessing he only had the opportunity because of his basketball prowess and probably his parents couldn’t afford to come. Just my assumption

1 hour ago, gnet550 said:

Since he is a native of Nigeria, I believe, I am guessing he only had the opportunity because of his basketball prowess and probably his parents couldn’t afford to come. Just my assumption

I can't speak to his parents financial situation.  The reason he is in the U.S... is because his parents wanted him to get a quality education.... just as they did with his brother, Kabir... years before.

Shawn Harmon not only is/was their guardian... he adopted both brothers.  And set a number one goal with both brothers..... excel in academics first.  Basketball comes second.

2 hours ago, gnet550 said:

I have been assured many times that Nigeria is a rich country. In fact just this week the honorable Mr. Jojo Kninibwe Mnbeto, the President of the Nigerian National Bank has offered me over $100 million dollars for helping him with a small matter. If he can offer me this much money just imagine how much money the native Nigerians have! And this isn't the first time I have been offered this large sum of money. The Vice President offered a larger sum last year! 

29 minutes ago, Colonialcrester said:

I have been assured many times that Nigeria is a rich country. In fact just this week the honorable Mr. Jojo Kninibwe Mnbeto, the President of the Nigerian National Bank has offered me over $100 million dollars for helping him with a small matter. If he can offer me this much money just imagine how much money the native Nigerians have! And this isn't the first time I have been offered this large sum of money. The Vice President offered a larger sum last year! 

And the official language of Nigeria is English.

Aminu has been in the U.S. all of 3 years and he wasn’t a highly touted prospect when he did come to the U.S. I wouldn’t expect his parents, who are still in Nigeria I believe, to have any idea how to approach American college basketball recruiting.

I’m not sure why folks also just assume that his parents didn’t ask his guardian to take a leadership role in the recruiting  process. Read up on Aminu’s backstory - nothing nefarious when you realize the relationship that was already there.

The way I see it, our most recent Nigerian-descent Hoosiers were two of the best young men to come through the program in recent years and I’d love to have Aminu on board carrying the tradition. OG (born in Nigeria) and Oladipo (Nigerian parents) anyone? 

Archived