Aminu Mohammed Commits to Georgetown

KDB

23 minutes ago, jv1972iu said:

So, you have a close relationship with the young man and his family?

I think he was going by what Wesley said in an interview that was posted on here a few weeks ago.   He talked about wanting to play uptempo and have the ball in his hands.  It made it sound like he did not like how slow we played but every team on his list plays a slower pace.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, CoachSS said:

Same but different note: 

Wesley starting training with me and a buddy of mine. More accurately worded, my friend up here started his own training about a year and a half ago. He has worked hard to get all the top kids in the area and it's nothing short of incredible of the talent he has acquired. 

I texted Derrick Wesley and tried to get Blake over to work and go against some of these guys. Fantastic player. Way better than I thought. Probably the best college player IU is recruiting in 2021 from how I know and understand their games. The kid is really, really good. Enjoyed speaking with him and watching him work.

To the two comments I quoted above: 

- Wesley is working hard on his handle but it's already in a pretty good spot. He isn't trying to be a lead ball-handler. He's very comfortable and has long-term plans to be an off-ball mover. 

- The responses he has given IU are far from lukewarm. I know people will reference his video with Rabjohns, Schumann, etc. But, that's not what is actually occurring in real life. 

^^^ Hopefully this comes off the right way. Not as snide or rude. Just trying to add color to things I know, factually, from what I've seen or heard from talking to the parties involved.^^^

Here is the way I view what Blake said in that interview, FWIW.  If he didn't care about IU and wasn't interested, he wouldn't say much of anything, and certainly nothing specific about their offense.  He is interested.  He is carefully considering IU.  I've been told very clearly by someone who knows the situation very well to "not believe the hype" of that interview sounding bad for IU.  But Blake does want to play fast.  And I don't blame him on that,  IMO that is his best attribute.

28 minutes ago, The Daily Hoosier said:

Here is the way I view what Blake said in that interview, FWIW.  If he didn't care about IU and wasn't interested, he wouldn't say much of anything, and certainly nothing specific about their offense.  He is interested.  He is carefully considering IU.  I've been told very clearly by someone who knows the situation very well to "not believe the hype" of that interview sounding bad for IU.  But Blake does want to play fast.  And I don't blame him on that,  IMO that is his best attribute.

I think adding Lander will allow IU to play that up tempo style that Archie wants to play a lot better, hopefully that can be conveyed to Blake. Also any idea if the staff would take Blake and Aminu? Would getting one take us out of the running with the other?

30 minutes ago, The Daily Hoosier said:

I don’t know when he’ll commit, obviously, but seems like you’d love this kid to get a chance to see the Kristian Lander version of IU basketball before committing. Archie has never had a lead guard like Lander since he’s been at IU, so assuming there is a season, it’s a real chance to see if he really does want to play faster. 

10 minutes ago, Whozure2122 said:

I think adding Lander will allow IU to play that up tempo style that Archie wants to play a lot better, hopefully that can be conveyed to Blake. Also any idea if the staff would take Blake and Aminu? Would getting one take us out of the running with the other?

It is being conveyed to Blake.  He talks to both Khristian and IU about it.  I have a hard time believing that the staff would not take both Blake and Aminu.

16 hours ago, IU Scott said:

I don't think that is how this going to work.  The school or alumni can't just give them money so the players will have to work out sponsorships on their own.

I never said we should work with the school.  But there’s going to be no reason this board couldn’t start a gofundme to host an autograph party with a player.  Since they can profit off their likeness.  

17 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

I never said we should work with the school.  But there’s going to be no reason this board couldn’t start a gofundme to host an autograph party with a player.  Since they can profit off their likeness.  

Still don't think that is what they are talking about when it comes to paying players for their likenesses.  Alit of this board are probably alumni and I don't think players can still take money from alumni.

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

I think he was going by what Wesley said in an interview that was posted on here a few weeks ago.   He talked about wanting to play uptempo and have the ball in his hands.  It made it sound like he did not like how slow we played but every team on his list plays a slower pace.

Thanks, Scott.  Appreciate the info.  😊

4 hours ago, IU Scott said:

I miss the old uptempo offense we had believe it or not. Recently rewatched the 2016 IU vs Kansas game they aired on BTN and it was just so fun to watch us run down the court and shoot in 7 seconds or so every posession. 

12 hours ago, Dart said:

I miss the old uptempo offense we had believe it or not. Recently rewatched the 2016 IU vs Kansas game they aired on BTN and it was just so fun to watch us run down the court and shoot in 7 seconds or so every posession. 

I miss the uptempo offense but do not miss the out of control turnovers 

22 hours ago, CoachSS said:

Same but different note: 

Wesley starting training with me and a buddy of mine. More accurately worded, my friend up here started his own training about a year and a half ago. He has worked hard to get all the top kids in the area and it's nothing short of incredible of the talent he has acquired. 

I texted Derrick Wesley and tried to get Blake over to work and go against some of these guys. Fantastic player. Way better than I thought. Probably the best college player IU is recruiting in 2021 from how I know and understand their games. The kid is really, really good. Enjoyed speaking with him and watching him work.

To the two comments I quoted above: 

- Wesley is working hard on his handle but it's already in a pretty good spot. He isn't trying to be a lead ball-handler. He's very comfortable and has long-term plans to be an off-ball mover. 

- The responses he has given IU are far from lukewarm. I know people will reference his video with Rabjohns, Schumann, etc. But, that's not what is actually occurring in real life. 

^^^ Hopefully this comes off the right way. Not as snide or rude. Just trying to add color to things I know, factually, from what I've seen or heard from talking to the parties involved.^^^

Great info, thanks for sharing 

25 minutes ago, BDB said:

Not to derail the thread, but at the end of the day it's about confidence. Uptempo, slow pace/methodical, whatever, just play smart, play hard and play with passion and confidence. Watch Crean's 2012/13 and 2016 teams, those teams played with such confidence offensively, it was fun to watch. Then conversely, I really enjoyed watching UVA's title team, yes even offensively. While the pace was slow, they played with a ton of smarts and confidence. They knew what they were trying to accomplish offensively. 

I'm an Archie supporter, but too often since he's been here IU has lacked confidence offensively. The guys looked scared to attack, scared to shoot and unsure of themselves. So, I don't really care what the pace is, just play smart, play with passion and play with confidence on that end. 

1 hour ago, BDB said:

Or lack of defensive intensity. At times I thought some of our guys thought the fastest way to get another shot up was to let their man score lol. And I can’t like enough the turnover issue...made me mad as all h3ll. Especially the baseline drives with no where to go and jumping in the air to pass. Omg

17 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Still don't think that is what they are talking about when it comes to paying players for their likenesses.  Alit of this board are probably alumni and I don't think players can still take money from alumni.

They haven’t made any rules yet.  And even if they do make rules about not taking money from alumni I’m sure there are tons of fans who aren’t alumni that can start the gofundme. 

And being hired to make public appearance is literally profiting off your likeness.  It’s standard athlete work.  

2 hours ago, Brass Cannon said:

They haven’t made any rules yet.  And even if they do make rules about not taking money from alumni I’m sure there are tons of fans who aren’t alumni that can start the gofundme. 

And being hired to make public appearance is literally profiting off your likeness.  It’s standard athlete work.  

Clearly there is a lot of potential to enrich oneself. In the grey areas, it would be better to see how other schools step out and do whatever they are going to do. I am pretty confident that a popular IU basketball player can make a lot of money and maybe enough to wait around another year and build the brand.

2 hours ago, macomb hoosier said:

Clearly there is a lot of potential to enrich oneself. In the grey areas, it would be better to see how other schools step out and do whatever they are going to do. I am pretty confident that a popular IU basketball player can make a lot of money and maybe enough to wait around another year and build the brand.

With the Indy market...no excuses for our admin not to be putting our guys out front and center!

18 minutes ago, cybergates said:

Given it's the NCAA they'll probably have absurd low limits on how much they much they can make and it will be little to no change

Regardless of what dollar limit the NCAA imposes there will be schools/boosters that entice recruits by immediately exceeding that maximum limit.

17 minutes ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

I’m assuming a college commitment is on the horizon? Shawn Harmon Aminu’s guardian On Twitter said they plan to make a commitment during the Greenwood blue and gold or bass pro champions tournament if the events are taking place. 

Do you know those dates? Too lazy to look them up. 

Archived