Dog, cat, something else, or nothing?

• 3 weeks later...

So this critter in need showed up a couple weeks before last Christmas.  Did everything we could to bring her back to health.  Had a good 6 months and suddenly lost her today.

We have others but this loss is hitting my wife hard.  

20190617_201829.jpg

Edited by mrflynn03
  • Like 1
  • Sad 5

9 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

So this critter in need showed up a couple weeks before last Christmas.  Did everything we could to bring her back to health.  Had a good 6 months and suddenly lost her today.

20190617_201829.jpg

I'm not ashamed to admit it: I cried like a baby when our other dog died (sister of the one in my previous post). I'll never be one to say "it's just a dog/cat/pet". They have more of an impact on our lives than we realize.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Zlinedavid said:

I'm not ashamed to admit it: I cried like a baby when our other dog died (sister of the one in my previous post). I'll never be one to say "it's just a dog/cat/pet". They have more of an impact on our lives than we realize.

Yep, I am sure that when my guy goes--he'll be 10 in October, I'll do the same. 

Always there. Always loyal. 

Not ready to even consider him not being a part of our lives.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

20190617_201829.jpg

Yeah, I have 3 wooden boxes sitting on our mantle. The ashes of 2 dogs and a horse (well, SOME of the ashes of a horse...the whole thing would have required a box 3 feet tall and weighed 70 lbs). 

Shows what a softie I am for them...

55 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Yeah, I have 3 wooden boxes sitting on our mantle. The ashes of 2 dogs and a horse (well, SOME of the ashes of a horse...the whole thing would have required a box 3 feet tall and weighed 70 lbs). 

I didnt know they did pet cremation until recently.  We are going this route.  Turns out I'm a big softie too.

Don't currently have one, unless you count the two stray cats that have taken up residence in the crawl space. I think they steal food from the neighbor cats? Not going to chase them away they help keep the mice, rats and snakes away!

Question for all, I've had several cat's and dog's over the years, but it seems to me that as loving as all of them have been the strays have been just a notch more so than the ones you raised up. Anyone else experience that?

14 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

The cremation is a first for me but wifes choice.  Pet taxidermy is just creepy.  

Dogs and cats are a reasonable price for cremation and the box to put the ashes in...less than $100 if I remember right...

Horses are a whole different story...

18 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Ours is buried right outside our kids' bedroom window. Able to keep guard, just like she would have wanted.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zlinedavid said:

Ours is buried right outside our kids' bedroom window. Able to keep guard, just like she would have wanted.

A friend of my wife has buried 5 horses on her 5 acre property. She just had one pass away last week...Cost her $400 for a guy to come in and dig the hole with a backhoe.

But, she says she wants them near her always...

14 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

A friend of my wife has buried 5 horses on her 5 acre property. She just had one pass away last week...Cost her $400 for a guy to come in and dig the hole with a backhoe.

But, she says she wants them near her always...

Mine only cost me a nights sleep and 2 Advil. She passed about 11:30. I built her a casket and had her buried by sunrise. Just short of 4 feet under, so she can remain at peace, even if we sell the house someday.

My wife had the same thoughts about wanting to have her nearby. My answer was "This was her home. This is where she'd want to be." And with no hesitation, she agreed.

I just had to put my old Parker boy(border collie) down 9 days ago.  Got him beginning of 2nd semester senior year at iu 13.5 years ago.  I cried like a baby and told him he'd always be my boy.  

$160 to have him put to sleep and taken care of for me.  I couldn't handle it.  

Still have my nervous little rat terrier Jay.  

Edited by NotIThatLives
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

6 hours ago, NotIThatLives said:

I just had to put my old Parker boy(border collie) down 9 days ago.  Got him beginning of 2nd semester senior year at iu 13.5 years ago.  I cried like a baby and told him he'd always be my boy.  

RIP Parker. As with all of your brethren, your time with us was too short.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Had both.  Favorite was a big beautiful cream colored Samoyed...just a gorgeous and big-hearted dog.  Right now, three cats.  Two outside and one inside-outside.  As I get older, I find cats easier to take care of and when you live in the country, you get a steady free supply.  We send regular checks to the Humane society and they happily spay/neuter the cats that show up or get live-trapped.

16 hours ago, NotIThatLives said:

Still have my nervous little rat terrier Jay.  

Very Sorry to hear this. We rescued a mix terrier pit 2 years ago and he's become so important in our lives. Right now I don't think I would have the strength to take him to the clinic one last time. Glad you have another one!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

Very Sorry to hear this. We rescued a mix terrier pit 2 years ago and he's become so important in our lives. Right now I don't think I would have the strength to take him to the clinic one last time. Glad you have another one!

It's tough.  It took weeks if not months to make the decision because he wasn't sick,  just his mobility and quality of life was becoming such a struggle.  Then I have this lady sitting in the waiting room who literally fosters old dogs tell me "oh, he still has fight in him."  Poor guy fell twice in the waiting room you dumbass, it's not his mind, it's his body.  

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

It's tough.  It took weeks if not months to make the decision because he wasn't sick,  just his mobility and quality of life was becoming such a struggle.  Then I have this lady sitting in the waiting room who literally fosters old dogs tell me "oh, he still has fight in him."  Poor guy fell twice in the waiting room you dumbass, it's not his mind, it's his body.  

Yep. Looking back at it we kept our first dog alive probably 2 more years than we should have. Just couldn't put her down but probably should have so she could go to the endless running fields in the sky. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NotIThatLives said:

My wife took the last two dogs to their final vet visit. It was time for both of them as you could see they were suffering. 

On the way, she stopped at McDonalds and got both of them a large order of Chicken McNuggets. She said they both gobbled them up and looked happy.

She's a sweet woman.

• Like 5

• 1 month later...