Dog, cat, something else, or nothing?

I have a German Shepherd. Reading through some of these posts, thought I'd share a little bit about my last one- Blitz. He had cancer at age 8 or so. Went the chemo route and probably bought him an extra 6 months. As he still suffered, probably wouldn't do that again. It was $$$ and more a benefit to the humans than the dog. We took him on a long weekend trip up the coast of MI to Traverse city and back stopping at all the dog friendly beaches so he could splash in Lake MI and staying at a dog friendly hotels. Provided some nice last memories of our loyal companion. He was cremated and his ashes spread out in the woods at our summer cottage in MI where he loved to run about off leash and play in the water. Our current GS was adoted a few months after his passing. 

• Like 3

It is with great sadness that I have to look for a home for my little dude Jay.  A 4 year old rat terrier.  He's just not comfortable around little kids that are face level.  He has nipped towards my 9 month baby boy a few times as well as going after my little niece and cousin.   He has never hurt anyone and I don't think he would but I have the momma mandate.  I'm hoping to keep him close, either family, neighbors, county, or in this case, Hoosier Nation.  

Jay is smart as a whip.  Loves to chill on the recliner.   Can run and jump like a high level track star.  He's terrified of storms and fireworks but is a great little companion.  25 lbs.  I'm in Cicero,  if anyone is seriously interested pm me.  

20190831_114126.jpg

IMG_20180121_195547.jpg

Edited by NotIThatLives
  • Like 1

On 9/5/2019 at 1:25 PM, BeerBQ said:

Same to you!

I wish ours would chase a ball but she just wants to run with/chase other dogs. The local dog park has been amazing. 

It's funny how some dogs seem to be born with the "fetch" instinct and some aren't. In addition to Arielle (dog in my previous post), we had one of her older sisters (Addison, died 2 years ago). Biological sisters, different litters. Addison was a fetching MACHINE. Balls, her Kong, whatever stuffed toy she hadn't destroyed, sticks...anything. And I can count on one hand the times she quit before whatever human was playing with her. She had been doing that since the time she was 6 months old.

Arielle....zero desire to play fetch, even as a pup. She might bring something back once, then just lose interest and lay down. Now, she'd chase her sister or my sister in law's dog as long as they would run.

3 hours ago, Zlinedavid said:

It's funny how some dogs seem to be born with the "fetch" instinct and some aren't. In addition to Arielle (dog in my previous post), we had one of her older sisters (Addison, died 2 years ago). Biological sisters, different litters. Addison was a fetching MACHINE. Balls, her Kong, whatever stuffed toy she hadn't destroyed, sticks...anything. And I can count on one hand the times she quit before whatever human was playing with her. She had been doing that since the time she was 6 months old.

Arielle....zero desire to play fetch, even as a pup. She might bring something back once, then just lose interest and lay down. Now, she'd chase her sister or my sister in law's dog as long as they would run.

When I throw a ball my Kerby Sue looks at me like I’m an idiot.

1 hour ago, BADGERVOL said:

When I throw a ball my Kerby Sue looks at me like I’m an idiot.

"If it's so important, whyd you throw it? *sigh* Humans....."

Fetch, not so much. Now, drop so much as an ounce of hamburger on the kitchen floor, and mine turns into a laser-guided missile. She could be sound asleep on the other side of the house and that piece of hamburger might last two seconds on the floor. The fact that she's down to somewhere between 33 and 50% of her sight due to cataracts makes it that much more impressive to watch.

• Haha 1

On 9/4/2019 at 7:01 PM, bluegrassIU said:

So, this is my Layla, yesterday. I have always had boy dogs. But this girl has totally stole my heart. 

This was after me throwing that ball of the deck 2,427 times. She was pouting here because my arm gave out. 

She never runs out of energy. So full of life.

20190902_180428.jpg

Beautiful Dog. This is the kind my wife loves. 

• Thanks 1

• 7 months later...

I was cleaning up stuff on my phone yesterday and found this video. The cat was a Russian Blue we'd rescued a turned into a damn good barn cat. Very laid back guy. He passed a couple of years ago. He had this thing for our mare. Slept in her stall right under the hay manger. Used to crack me up. She'd be eating and residual hay would be falling on him, but he never moved. The video just shows how strange and wonderful animals are...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, IUFLA said:

I was cleaning up stuff on my phone yesterday and found this video. The cat was a Russian Blue we'd rescued a turned into a damn good barn cat. Very laid back guy. He passed a couple of years ago. He had this thing for our mare. Slept in her stall right under the hay manger. Used to crack me up. She'd be eating and residual hay would be falling on him, but he never moved. The video just shows how strange and wonderful animals are...

That’s fantastic 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/23/2020 at 1:23 AM, Hoosierhoopster said:

That’s fantastic 

Okay a little off topic, but with practicing social distancing at work there are posters all around. The one at the end of the isle of the set of cubicles I reside in has this caption. “Stay inside, practice social distancing, clean myself continuously, OMG I’ve turned into a house cat!

I think your cat liked the horse because it saved him a lot of work! 

crap, quoted the wrong post, meant to quote IUFlA

Edited by Drroogh