Dog, cat, something else, or nothing?

51 minutes ago, Reacher said:

When we adopted our current German Shepherd, we brought a trainer into our home. We think the dog was trained in another language and didn't recognize the name the shelter gave him very well. The puppy class at Petsmart didn't seem like a good option.. He was a smart dog and relearned everything rather quickly. Think the trainer only came twice. 

Our adopted German Shepherd is bilingual.  No.  Honest.  One day out of nowhere, we decided to check on line for dog commands in German.  And started using them along with English commands.  To our surprise both worked.  Then, earlier this year, we had a relative who got a job as a professor at the University of Denver, move here, after spending eight years in Germany.  While there she married a German.  He speaks English with a heavy accent.  But.... we asked him to give our German Shepherd commands in German. And low and behold they worked !

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Our rescue dog Greta has been with us for about a year and a half. She was found in a rail yard in the Bronx and was riddled with health problems - including a large mammary tumor. She's blind in one eye, deaf, was bald on her ears and tail, AND had to have 19 teeth removed. The tumor was malignant, so we've been doing chemo off and on for the last year or so to try to keep the tumors from spreading to her lungs.

Last Friday, we found out she has two masses in her lungs. She had been a bit slower and her breathing was kind of labored, so we got some more scans and received the lung tumor news. Our oncologist says she could live another six months if all goes well and we are doing everything in our power to make sure that the months she has are good ones.

It's funny, when we first got her I thought to myself, "Man, this dog is a total wreck. How on earth am I going to love her and cuddle with her like I do with our other dog?"

Funny thing, Greta became my little shadow and followed me around everywhere. Like sitting outside the bathroom door whining if I didn't let her in everywhere. We are sure she was abandoned by her owners b/c of her significant health problems, but she definitely knows love and needs to be near her owner.

She's at my feet as I type these words.

I'm really going to miss her when she's gone, but we are making the most of the days we have with her. Our motto everyday is "living her best day." It's crazy how attached we can get in such a short time.

Another funny thing is that my wife always sees us snuggled up together and she says, "Aww, it's the dog that Daddy didn't want..."

• Like 4

20 hours ago, Lostin76 said:

Our rescue dog Greta has been with us for about a year and a half. She was found in a rail yard in the Bronx and was riddled with health problems - including a large mammary tumor. She's blind in one eye, deaf, was bald on her ears and tail, AND had to have 19 teeth removed. The tumor was malignant, so we've been doing chemo off and on for the last year or so to try to keep the tumors from spreading to her lungs.

Last Friday, we found out she has two masses in her lungs. She had been a bit slower and her breathing was kind of labored, so we got some more scans and received the lung tumor news. Our oncologist says she could live another six months if all goes well and we are doing everything in our power to make sure that the months she has are good ones.

It's funny, when we first got her I thought to myself, "Man, this dog is a total wreck. How on earth am I going to love her and cuddle with her like I do with our other dog?"

Funny thing, Greta became my little shadow and followed me around everywhere. Like sitting outside the bathroom door whining if I didn't let her in everywhere. We are sure she was abandoned by her owners b/c of her significant health problems, but she definitely knows love and needs to be near her owner.

She's at my feet as I type these words.

I'm really going to miss her when she's gone, but we are making the most of the days we have with her. Our motto everyday is "living her best day." It's crazy how attached we can get in such a short time.

Another funny thing is that my wife always sees us snuggled up together and she says, "Aww, it's the dog that Daddy didn't want..."

We had a dog who passed a little over a year. Always preferred my wife. We joked that I was the dog’s bitch because he always cuddled my wife instead of me, but I was the one who cleaned up his crap and fed him. 

Last year around this time my wife and kids wanted another pet. I was against it because we are gone on so many weekends and I work at home so I’m usually the one taking care of it. I joked and said a cat (even though I’ve never been a ‘cat person’) would be perfect because they are more self reliant, but we couldn’t get a cat because I was allergic. 

So my wife goes out and finds a Siberian cat breed that is good for people with allergies. 😒 I was skeptical, but the breeder said we could return her in 2 weeks if I reacted to her. Reluctantly I said I’d try it out but I would not be the one cleaning up after her and feeding her. We get her, rub her in my face and no reactions for 2 weeks...so we keep her. 

A year later, guess who her favorite person is? Me. The only person who’s lap she climbs on to. Meanwhile she ignores my wife’s affection and only wants her when it’s time to eat. Haha.  In the rare instance she shows my wife any affection it’s a household ‘event’ that requires getting cameras out for proof she might love my wife. Great cat though; she’s super social, a ton of personality, plays with anybody and just lets the kids manhandle her. A bunch of traits I thought I wouldn’t be getting with a cat. 

9922A24B-681A-4BB5-9561-7DB2B5377437.jpeg

• Like 3

4 hours ago, tdhoosier said:

We had a dog who passed a little over a year. Always preferred my wife. We joked that I was the dog’s bitch because he always cuddled my wife instead of me, but I was the one who cleaned up his crap and fed him. 

Last year around this time my wife and kids wanted another pet. I was against it because we are gone on so many weekends and I work at home so I’m usually the one taking care of it. I joked and said a cat (even though I’ve never been a ‘cat person’) would be perfect because they are more self reliant, but we couldn’t get a cat because I was allergic. 

So my wife goes out and finds a Siberian cat breed that is good for people with allergies. 😒 I was skeptical, but the breeder said we could return her in 2 weeks if I reacted to her. Reluctantly I said I’d try it out but I would not be the one cleaning up after her and feeding her. We get her, rub her in my face and no reactions for 2 weeks...so we keep her. 

A year later, guess who her favorite person is? Me. The only person who’s lap she climbs on to. Meanwhile she ignores my wife’s affection and only wants her when it’s time to eat. Haha.  In the rare instance she shows my wife any affection it’s a household ‘event’ that requires getting cameras out for proof she might love my wife. Great cat though; she’s super social, a ton of personality, plays with anybody and just lets the kids manhandle her. A bunch of traits I thought I wouldn’t be getting with a cat. 

9922A24B-681A-4BB5-9561-7DB2B5377437.jpeg

Looks like a cat with some personality! I'm probably more of a dog person, but I do think cats are super cool. I've had cats much of my life, but our place is a little small for a litter box.

1 hour ago, Lostin76 said:

Looks like a cat with some personality! I'm probably more of a dog person, but I do think cats are super cool. I've had cats much of my life, but our place is a little small for a litter box.

That is a great looking cat.  Years ago, when my dad had his convenience store. We had an issue with rats in the basement of the store.  So... he got a beautiful Grey Persian cat.

This cat was huge.  As big or bigger than some small dogs.  There were times when we would not see him at weeks on end.  Figuring he had died, somewhere. However, he always came back "home".   After many years. He did die.  After he died.... we never had a problem with rats ever again.

My German Shepherd is not a fan of cats. 

Edited by milehiiu

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, mrflynn03 said:

So a pregnant stray cat showed up not long ago and had her babies under our deck. So I guess we are going to take care of them until we ge them all spayed/neutered and find them a home. 

Resized_20200618_185758.jpg

At least up here in NE Indiana there is a non-profit that will neuter all of those cats, once the kittens are old enough, at very little cost. You may want to research this where you live 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I told you earlier, best mouser in the business...

IMG_20200612_114134.jpg

Could I borrow him? I have a rat that has escaped the live trap twice, sprung the spring trap probably 4-5 times and twice drug the glue trap away never to be seen again? Even the stray cat that loves my deck is useless!

13 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

Could I borrow him? I have a rat that has escaped the live trap twice, sprung the spring trap probably 4-5 times and twice drug the glue trap away never to be seen again? Even the stray cat that loves my deck is useless!

Sure! But it's a she...the male cat that hangs around the barn is useless...

• Like 1

So even though I know their names will changed we named the kittens.

Light grey-lil squeak after his momma who doesnt really meow but has a raspy squeak.

Stripy one-Tyson, because he has tiger stripes and Mike Tyson owned tigers and I want have tigers too.

Not Sure- the black looking one has a bent tail tip and we dont know yet which way it will go. Named after Average Joe from the movie Idiocracy.  You should watch it. 

Orange kitten - TRUMP, well duh. Lol. 

Enjoy the pic. They have a good home when ready. 

Resized_20200620_215431.jpg

• Like 2