Dog, cat, something else, or nothing?

On Dec 25th 2014 our Siberian Husky Hoosier was born.  I bought her as a gift fir.my wife but it was not long until she was Aydens. She has been there through all the rough times. She would give Ayden hugs every day after school. 2 years ago she started having seizures. She has been on meds every since. They have done a great job of controlling them. She would still have a few each month. At 4:15 am our beloved HOOSIER had a seizure and never came out it. She passed while I held her. I have loss several dogs in my life but this was Aydens, HOOSIER was family. I stayed with her until 800 until my wife woke up so I could break the terrible.  No one in our family is taking it well. Just wanted to share.

I WILL post some pics later of her and Ayden over the years.

RIP HOOSIER 

• Like 1
  • Sad 7

4 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

On Dec 25th 2014 our Siberian Husky Hoosier was born.  I bought her as a gift fir.my wife but it was not long until she was Aydens. She has been there through all the rough times. She would give Ayden hugs every day after school. 2 years ago she started having seizures. She has been on meds every since. They have done a great job of controlling them. She would still have a few each month. At 4:15 am our beloved HOOSIER had a seizure and never came out it. She passed while I held her. I have loss several dogs in my life but this was Aydens, HOOSIER was family. I stayed with her until 800 until my wife woke up so I could break the terrible.  No one in our family is taking it well. Just wanted to share.

RIP HOOSIER 

So sad to hear.  I know what it is like to lose a dog. We have lost several over the years.  Takes time to recover. However... we continue to get more.

This past week, a friend of my son.... dog went blind literally  over night.  They are working with him to cope. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

RIP HOOSIER 

Sorry to hear that, @Billingsley99...They are a big part of the family...Prayers for comfort to you and your family...Especially Ayden...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

RIP HOOSIER 

My sincere apologies and thoughts are with you. We all love our families but dogs is a different string. We just rescued a terrier/pit and even though he's only 6.....can't imagine making that drive. Thoughts with all of your family. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

@Billingsley99

That picture hurts. 

I have been my family's pet mortician since I was about 15 years old.  I have been tasked with burying more than I can remember.  

But the family farm I will inherit has a special place for all of them. 

Sorry for your loss. 😔

Bless you.  The mile family actually has a small tombstone in the back of our yard.  Made by a man who used to make them as a living.  Has our first dog's name. And her birthday and death date. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NotIThatLives said:

@Billingsley99

Sorry to hear about your pup.  Had to put my ole boy to sleep 2 summers ago.  It's rough.  

Thank you and sorry. I never understood people grieving over the loss of a pet but I get it now. Its odd because my whole routine is off. I am the one that takes her out 2 to 4 times a night from midnight to 600am just to get her to stop barking. Every time I would say Hoosier just 1 night to sleep all night just 1. Now I have them all but can't sleep just waiting to take her out. For 2 years since the seizures started she had to go out every few hours I swore it was just to be a pain in my butt. If I was gone for business or had to work overnight she never did it to my wife. I think that was just our relationship and I miss that. The 1st thing my wife does when she gets home from work was to take her out and give her afternoon meds. Today we be her first day.not doing it. I never thought it would be this hard. Thank you HSN for letting me share.

• Like 3

On 12/6/2020 at 8:04 AM, milehiiu said:

Bless you.  The mile family actually has a small tombstone in the back of our yard.  Made by a man who used to make them as a living.  Has our first dog's name. And her birthday and death date. 

We have/had the same. When our older dog died about 3 years ago (on my older son's birthday, no less) I found two almost perfectly rectangular pieces of flagstone in the vacant lot next to our old house. One of those was her grave marker, and one was stashed away in the corner of the garage for her sister. 

We sold that house in September, but her stone came with us. Our other dog passed about two months ago, so her stone will get put to use when our new house finishes up. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

Thank you and sorry. I never understood people grieving over the loss of a pet but I get it now. Its odd because my whole routine is off. I am the one that takes her out 2 to 4 times a night from midnight to 600am just to get her to stop barking. Every time I would say Hoosier just 1 night to sleep all night just 1. Now I have them all but can't sleep just waiting to take her out. For 2 years since the seizures started she had to go out every few hours I swore it was just to be a pain in my butt. If I was gone for business or had to work overnight she never did it to my wife. I think that was just our relationship and I miss that. The 1st thing my wife does when she gets home from work was to take her out and give her afternoon meds. Today we be her first day.not doing it. I never thought it would be this hard. Thank you HSN for letting me share.

It's never easy losing a companion.  I had to put two beagles down in the spring of 2016 within a few months of each other.  The first one was out of the blue, the 2nd went down hill fast after the first one.  The wife couldn't even go to the 2nd.  I went solo with three beers.  Cried my eyes out chocking down them beers.  I wasn't sure about getting another one, then we dog sat for our neighbors poodle for two weeks and I believe it was someone on this board posted that your former dogs would want you to have another companion to be happy.  I then realized it was time.  Mage a trip from Iowa to North Vernon, Indiana to get Ted.

Quick story about the neighbors poodle.  We started watching it on a Thursday afternoon and as of Sunday afternoon it hadn't pooped, even-though it was eating.  I walked the poodle across the street to its house and let her run in the back yard and low a behold, she crapped.  For two weeks, we took her to her house in the morning, noon and night and she crapped in the same spot every time.  

• Like 1

On 12/5/2020 at 1:14 PM, milehiiu said:

So sad to hear.  I know what it is like to lose a dog. We have lost several over the years.  Takes time to recover. However... we continue to get more.

This past week, a friend of my son.... dog went blind literally  over night.  They are working with him to cope. 

I've had two dogs go almost completely blind due to cataracts. They were Boston Terriers, which don't do well with the laser surgery. 

That obviously happens over time vs suddenly, but one thing I can say is it is amazing how they can adapt. One could navigate our entire backyard entirely by smell and feel. She'd get to within a step or two of the fence, but rarely run into it. 

On 12/5/2020 at 1:08 PM, Billingsley99 said:

RIP HOOSIER 

I did the same thing two months ago, holding our dog as she was put down. Won't ever forget feeling her heart stop. 

Sorry for your lost, but at least she's in a place where the seizures won't bother her anymore. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, BDB said:

It's never easy losing a companion.  I had to put two beagles down in the spring of 2016 within a few months of each other.  The first one was out of the blue, the 2nd went down hill fast after the first one.  The wife couldn't even go to the 2nd.  I went solo with three beers.  Cried my eyes out chocking down them beers.  I wasn't sure about getting another one, then we dog sat for our neighbors poodle for two weeks and I believe it was someone on this board posted that your former dogs would want you to have another companion to be happy.  I then realized it was time.  Mage a trip from Iowa to North Vernon, Indiana to get Ted.

Quick story about the neighbors poodle.  We started watching it on a Thursday afternoon and as of Sunday afternoon it hadn't pooped, even-though it was eating.  I walked the poodle across the street to its house and let her run in the back yard and low a behold, she crapped.  For two weeks, we took her to her house in the morning, noon and night and she crapped in the same spot every time.  

Sorry for your loss. My wife is all about getting another puppy but not a Husky.  They are one of the breeds that seem to have a lot of seizures.  Each one they have hurts us more than them. Unfortunately she was never the same after the 1st one.

When you were in North Vernon you were really close to me and a few great members here live in Jennings County.  

54 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Sorry for your loss. My wife is all about getting another puppy but not a Husky.  They are one of the breeds that seem to have a lot of seizures. 

FWIW, Golden Retrievers (esp in the midwest) have an 80% chance of getting some kind of cancer by the time they're 7-8. We had goldens for 30 years. The last 2 came from Indy. Both got cancer way too early. Oncologist from PU said they can't figure out why, but goldens contract cancer 10x more than any other breed.

He also told us, a Heinz 57 is usually healthier than pure breds.

13 minutes ago, DWB said:

FWIW, Golden Retrievers (esp in the midwest) have an 80% chance of getting some kind of cancer by the time they're 7-8. We had goldens for 30 years. The last 2 came from Indy. Both got cancer way too early. Oncologist from PU said they can't figure out why, but goldens contract cancer 10x more than any other breed.

Thats terrible.  I think with all the breeding issues that arise the pure breeds seem to have their share of health concerns. 

31 minutes ago, DWB said:

Love Goldens...Smart, loyal, friendly...We had one who, from the time we got her when she was a puppy, was basically maintenance free...Open the door, she'd go out (no fence) and stay in the yard, do her business and come right back in...

That said, we got out of the pure bred market 8 years ago...Last 3 we've adopted were from shelters...One is blind, but he gets along...Other 2 are good dogs (and one of them is a full blooded Lab)...Very protective of us...Like they know what we did for them...

There are just so many dogs at these shelters who're really good dogs and need good homes, we couldn't justify going out and buying a $500-$1,000 puppy...

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Love Goldens...Smart, loyal, friendly...

There are just so many dogs at these shelters who're really good dogs and need good homes, we couldn't justify going out and buying a $500-$1,000 puppy...

We rescued the last 2 Goldens from a Golden Rescue outfit in Plainfield. They were VERY protective of the dogs up for adoption. (which is great IMO) Came out did a house visit, had a 5 page questionaire we had to answer in order to "qualify" to get one. Once they place a Golden, they want to make sure it's to a great home, and not coming back.

I volunteer for the local animal shelter here in SC, and they do a pretty good job in qualifying people before they let someone adopt. Not as good as the Golden outfit, but still pretty good, considering it's gov't run. And almost all of the dogs here in the shelter are Heinz 10-57's.

Most of the "pure breed" rescue operations have agreements with all the shelters around them, that if the shelter takes in a dog of a particular breed, they will automatically take it and adopt it out under their own standards.

1 hour ago, DWB said:

Dexter is our second Golden, and just turned 11 in October. We got him from an AKC breeder north of Chicago. When he was about 4, he developed a condition that just about killed him. Our local vet tried treating him, but realized that the disease was beyond his capabilities, and referred us to the Michigan St. Veterinary School....the other option was Purdue, but for obvious reasons, and the fact that E. Lansing is much closer for us, we went to MSU. After an 8 hour surgery, a ten day stay at the school, and thousands of dollars, we couldn't have been happier with the result. Dex has brought so much joy to us over the years, and is still healthy and strong as a horse.

Our first Golden, a female was bought from a family breeder when we lived in Wisconsin. She also was a great dog, and was famous for wading in Devil's Lake and barking at the rocks on the lakebed, thinking they were alive due to the ripples of the water. She did contract cancer and died way to early at age 6.