Dog, cat, something else, or nothing?

2 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Two years ago, I started this thread with a picture of our beloved golden retriever, Dexter. This morning, he took his final breath and we had to say good-bye. We couldn't have asked for a more loving, fun, loyal or protective dog in the nearly 12 years we were blessed to call him ours. We are empty nesters, and Dexter was our boy. We are heartbroken as although the condition that caused his passing had to have been developing over time, it only showed itself yesterday morning. My wife and I feel like we been hit by a mack truck. We are thankful that he went quickly and his suffering was minimal. We are thankful that we were able to be there when he passed. We are extremely grateful for the compassion and care provided by our veterinarian, his wife and his staff.

What I have learned throughout this thread is that there are some wonderful pet and animal lovers here at HSN. Please give your furry, or whatever, friend a hug today and let them know your love.

821741ED-3A19-4494-8A6D-DF390FD426D5.thumb.jpeg.9d8f5ea083fcb374d28b809fbb826dfc.jpeg

Damn, man. I am so sorry to hear this. We call all Goldens “good boys” when we see them out and about - “look at that good boy.” Dexter looks like a REALLY good boy. Being there when they pass is some small comfort (we’ve had to do it twice in the last year), but I still think it’s one of the hardest things to walk away from. My condolences and deepest sympathy to you and your wife. I’ve always thought that the short lifespan of our pets is one of the cruelest things in this life. 

There will be so many Dexter-sized holes for you two to navigate in these coming weeks. It’s the f*#kin worst.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Lostin76 said:

Damn, man. I am so sorry to hear this. We call all Goldens “good boys” when we see them out and about - “look at that good boy.” Dexter looks like a REALLY good boy. Being there when they pass is some small comfort (we’ve had to do it twice in the last year), but I still think it’s one of the hardest things to walk away from. My condolences and deepest sympathy to you and your wife. I’ve always thought that the short lifespan of our pets is one of the cruelest things in this life. 

There will be so many Dexter-sized holes for you two to navigate in these coming weeks. It’s the f*#kin worst.

He was the best 

• Sad 1

17 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Two years ago, I started this thread with a picture of our beloved golden retriever, Dexter. This morning, he took his final breath and we had to say good-bye. We couldn't have asked for a more loving, fun, loyal or protective dog in the nearly 12 years we were blessed to call him ours. We are empty nesters, and Dexter was our boy. We are heartbroken as although the condition that caused his passing had to have been developing over time, it only showed itself yesterday morning. My wife and I feel like we been hit by a mack truck. We are thankful that he went quickly and his suffering was minimal. We are thankful that we were able to be there when he passed. We are extremely grateful for the compassion and care provided by our veterinarian, his wife and his staff.

What I have learned throughout this thread is that there are some wonderful pet and animal lovers here at HSN. Please give your furry, or whatever, friend a hug today and let them know your love.

821741ED-3A19-4494-8A6D-DF390FD426D5.thumb.jpeg.9d8f5ea083fcb374d28b809fbb826dfc.jpeg

Sorry man.  He's an awesome looking pup

On 8/12/2021 at 2:58 PM, Steubenhoosier said:

My deepest sympathies.

On 8/12/2021 at 2:58 PM, Steubenhoosier said:

When speaking with people, I always say "...had two dogs.." to avoid confusion. But that's not true. I still have them...just not physically. 

Pawprints on the heart.....

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Took in a new horse today...they called him "Wings" but to me he's "Whitey."

My youngest is teaching riding over in San Marcos, and needed some lesson horses, so we gave her our paint, and rescued this guy...he's malnourished, but we'll get some weight on him...

PXL_20210827_195044977.jpg

• Like 7

Been a bit since I've checked in on this thread. Thought I'd share a quick story about my German Shepherd. 2 weekends ago we took him to the dog friendly Weko beach for a walk along the Lake Michigan Beach. He is not much of a water dog, or a walker, but he went along with it. Thinking the exercise and 90 degree day would have tired him out, we stopped at the Haymarket Brewery afterwards. They have a large outdoor area where dogs are allowed. It was busy and after a short wait we got our table. Had our pizza and beer. There were at least half a dozen other dogs there all laying down, some under the tables for shade. Our Jack never sat down once. He was standing at alert watching all the goings on and everyone that walked near us. Was neat seeing the working dog side of him in action. 

• Like 5

Old boy is coming along...had the vet out yesterday and he was amazed at how much he'd filled out in such a short time. We've been feeding him high protein horse feed and a little extra hay at night, along with grazing from about 8 to 8. He and our mare get along fine, though she did let him know who the HMFIC was right off the bat 😁

PXL_20210902_202154903.thumb.jpg.b92ab514bf11c56112b6a0d5cd91a75d.jpg

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
17 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Had to put old girl down today...we'd had a tumor taken off her chest in May, but it was growing back and split her incision...they found 4 more tumors in her and she was in pain...good girl, very laid back like most Labs... I'll miss her...

IMG_0493.JPG

So hard...but she deserved a dignified ending to what surely was a great life.  All the wonderful memories will live on with your family, I'm sure.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Had to put old girl down today...we'd had a tumor taken off her chest in May, but it was growing back and split her incision...they found 4 more tumors in her and she was in pain...good girl, very laid back like most Labs... I'll miss her...

IMG_0493.JPG

So sorry. I know what a hole this puts in your hearts. Remember all the joy she brought to your lives. 

She’ll be waiting for you 

• Thanks 1