Dog, cat, something else, or nothing?

I'll Jump in.  Most of you know we are cat people (love dogs but too much care for us).  This is Nermal, my grandcat.  He looks a lot like a Russian Blue, but is just a ditch cat that I rescued him at my office a couple of years back and brought him home at the insistence of my daughter, who promptly adopted him.  These pictures illustrate that (1) Nermal wants what you are eating/drinking and (2) he is not a real fan of his new Christmas sweater.

1023354888_Nermalincup.thumb.jpg.0faa792ed5142034eddf2de4180500d3.jpg

1778533319_Nermalsweater.thumb.jpg.28ea836036aca661a45b456b9e499818.jpg107856160_Nermalsweater2.thumb.jpg.9b76565beee726f7b2ce3ab33824308c.jpg

• Like 8

This is sweet Leila...another rescue tabby.  She is mostly inside, but hates a litter box so she usually does her business and some recreational hunting outside.  This is her "please share your food with me" look.  She's spoiled rotten and likes to drink from a running faucet in the bathroom.

Leila.thumb.jpg.530cecff7cd8548535131be75b222af2.jpg

Edited by FKIM01
  • Like 4

Dogs are not particularly popular with one segment of the population in India.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/group-of-monkeys-kill-over-250-dogs-for-revenge-in-indian-town/ar-AARVuGV?ocid=uxbndlbing

These are revenge killings in retaliation for a dog killing an infant monkey.  The monkeys are dragging the dogs up to the top of buildings and throwing them off.  Fascinating story.  

Edited by 5fouls
  • Sad 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
6 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

Trying to harness train her. She came from a litter that was born under my deck. Been part of our family from the day she was born. Used to fit in the palm of my hand. Named her Tyson. She's my baby tiger. 

Resized_20211212_092732(1).jpeg

When we were going to school in Bloomington, we had a cat that we tried to harness/leash train. He would just flop around and embarrass us so much that we gave up. 

2 hours ago, Lostin76 said:

When we were going to school in Bloomington, we had a cat that we tried to harness/leash train. He would just flop around and embarrass us so much that we gave up. 

Yeah, she isn't taking to it very well. We take her for rides in the car but she gets antsy.  

Yogi turned 1 last month! (Great Dane) 

Growing up I didnt have dogs. My wife did. She had an Aussie (Tank) before we started dated, now hes my buddy and the puppy doesn't leave her side. 😂 We had no clue what to expect from this massive breed, but we've truly loved every min of having him. Gets a little drooly sometimes, and he might step on your shins in bed lol... but he is incredibly loving and mild tempered. I would for sure recommend this breed. 

We believe Yogi weighs 140lbs, currently. He's going next week for his check up.. the Doc has said the whole time that Yogi will be on the larger side for the breed. Oh boy lol 

(I also fully understand not wanting a horse sized dog living in your house) 😂😂

Snapchat-1813122312.jpg

Snapchat-1749233156.jpg

Screenshot_20210907-205849_Snapchat.jpg

• Like 5

I am having a rough week. Last Monday evening, our beloved family dog tore his ACL (called something different in dogs) 6 days before his 9th birthday. After taking him to the vet and getting X-rays the following days, he is on pain meds and hasn't been able to put weight on it all week. We are hoping to avoid surgery for him, so vet is checking in with us at the 2 and 4 week mark to see how he is progressing on pain meds/"bed rest". That has been tough on the whole family, but especially me and my wife.

A few days ago, one of our 3 "barn cats" went missing and hasn't been seen yet. He is just under one year of age, and our best guess is that he was attacked by a large bird and carried off (he is the smallest of the three cats and not quite fully grown). My wife found some large feathers and blood on the back of our property near our out building. Even though they are "barn cats", our young kids adopted them and they have their own room in the outbuilding we dedicated to them, complete with cat door. We still aren't 100% sure what happened to him, but it isn't looking good. Our house sits off the road a good ways, and our outbuilding is behind the house, so the cats rarely venture anywhere near the road. I haven't seen any predators by us since we are surrounded by fields...but there is a tiny patch of woods off in the distance aways on the other side of field. We feed the cats as well, so they never wander too far from our property/barn.

• Sad 4

Just now, FritzIam4IU said:

I am having a rough week. Last Monday evening, our beloved family dog tore his ACL (called something different in dogs) 6 days before his 9th birthday. After taking him to the vet and getting X-rays the following days, he is on pain meds and hasn't been able to put weight on it all week. We are hoping to avoid surgery for him, so vet is checking in with us at the 2 and 4 week mark to see how he is progressing on pain meds/"bed rest". That has been tough on the whole family, but especially me and my wife.

A few days ago, one of our 3 "barn cats" went missing and hasn't been seen yet. He is just under one year of age, and our best guess is that he was attacked by a large bird and carried off (he is the smallest of the three cats and not quite fully grown). My wife found some large feathers and blood on the back of our property near our out building. Even though they are "barn cats", our young kids adopted them and they have their own room in the outbuilding we dedicated to them, complete with cat door. We still aren't 100% sure what happened to him, but it isn't looking good. Our house sits off the road a good ways, and our outbuilding is behind the house, so the cats rarely venture anywhere near the road. I haven't seen any predators by us since we are surrounded by fields...but there is a tiny patch of woods off in the distance aways on the other side of field. We feed the cats as well, so they never wander too far from our property/barn.

Keep hope...there was a beautiful calico female cat here when we moved in 10 years ago...she adopted us...

About 4 years ago, after Hurricane Harvey, she disappeared...gone 3 months...we thought she had somehow died during the storm..

Three months later I'm walking across the pasture on a Sunday morning, and she runs up beside me, gives me her "I'm hungry" meow, and acts like nothing happened...20191021_085305.thumb.jpg.fada9f35342afafe15c95aa4b88c4ffc.jpg

She's still around and likes sitting on my wife's saddle...

• Like 6

19 minutes ago, FritzIam4IU said:

Carrying off a live animal would mean an eagle or hawk. Those tend to be more unusual than buzzards. I know where we used to live, turkey buzzards were always circling, but it was rare to see a hawk. 

I would think a reasonably grown cat would be too big for an owl. A small kitten maybe. 

On 3/5/2022 at 9:34 AM, btownqb said:

Yogi turned 1 last month! (Great Dane) 

Growing up I didnt have dogs. My wife did. She had an Aussie (Tank) before we started dated, now hes my buddy and the puppy doesn't leave her side. 😂 We had no clue what to expect from this massive breed, but we've truly loved every min of having him. Gets a little drooly sometimes, and he might step on your shins in bed lol... but he is incredibly loving and mild tempered. I would for sure recommend this breed. 

We believe Yogi weighs 140lbs, currently. He's going next week for his check up.. the Doc has said the whole time that Yogi will be on the larger side for the breed. Oh boy lol 

(I also fully understand not wanting a horse sized dog living in your house) 😂😂

Snapchat-1813122312.jpg

Snapchat-1749233156.jpg

Screenshot_20210907-205849_Snapchat.jpg

One of our Boston’s classmates in puppy kindergarten was a Great Dane “puppy”, which looked like a baby elk. Huge head, long body and sticks for legs.  And of course, it was the biggest scaredy cat in the class. Our little (at the time) 8 pound Boston walked right up to her, put her front paws up on the Great Dane’s chest to say “Hi” and the poor Great Dane’s legs started shaking and it had a look of sheer terror across its face. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

One of our Boston’s classmates in puppy kindergarten was a Great Dane “puppy”, which looked like a baby elk. Huge head, long body and sticks for legs.  And of course, it was the biggest scaredy cat in the class. Our little (at the time) 8 pound Boston walked right up to her, put her front paws up on the Great Dane’s chest to say “Hi” and the poor Great Dane’s legs started shaking and it had a look of sheer terror across its face. 

Yogi is the same way. Only getting in the pool with his mom, and will absolutely bark at other dogs....from a far. 😂😂

What's your pups name? 

Snapchat-30066868.jpg

Snapchat-139224318.jpg

• Like 3

Just now, btownqb said:

Yogi is the same way. Only getting in the pool with his mom, and will absolutely bark at other dogs....from a far. 😂😂

What's your pups name? 

Snapchat-30066868.jpg

Snapchat-139224318.jpg

This was many, many years ago. Pup in question’s name was Addison, but she passed in 2017. We also had one of her younger sisters, Arielle, who we had to put down in 2020. Addison is on the left, Arielle on the right: 

A8AC9E86-60FE-4349-95EE-36DB1A69848C.jpeg

Miss them even today, but they lead full, healthy lives of 11 and almost 14 years. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

This was many, many years ago. Pup in question’s name was Addison, but she passed in 2017. We also had one of her younger sisters, Arielle, who we had to put down in 2020. Addison is on the left, Arielle on the right: 

A8AC9E86-60FE-4349-95EE-36DB1A69848C.jpeg

Miss them even today, but they lead full, healthy lives of 11 and almost 14 years. 

💙

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

Carrying off a live animal would mean an eagle or hawk. Those tend to be more unusual than buzzards. I know where we used to live, turkey buzzards were always circling, but it was rare to see a hawk. 

I would think a reasonably grown cat would be too big for an owl. A small kitten maybe. 

We have heard an owl in the distance hooting, but I told my wife the same thing...I don't think an owl could have carried the cat off. We have seen larger hawks circling above the fields often. We paid more attention this summer/fall when the cats were younger/kittens.

• Sad 1

12 minutes ago, btownqb said:

💙

Oh, what you mentioned about your wife’s dog switching “allegiances”, that does tend to happen. Initially, Addison bonded more with me, and Arielle with my wife. However, we had the dogs about 4 years when my wife got pregnant the first time, and they switched.  Despite her relatively small size, Addison had a very strong protective instinct. If my wife was asleep, she was laying right beside her. Somewhere, I have pictures of her “standing guard” next to each of my kids as they slept. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, FritzIam4IU said:

We have heard an owl in the distance hooting, but I told my wife the same thing...I don't think an owl could have carried the cat off. We have seen larger hawks circling above the fields often. We paid more attention this summer/fall when the cats were younger/kittens.

It would have to be a huge owl. They typically go after decent sized mice. If you’ve seen more than one hawk though…eeeehhh….here’s to hoping. 

1 hour ago, FritzIam4IU said:

Around us, we lose a lot of barn cats to coyotes.  If they get past a year, they usually get wise and live full lives, but the young ones too often disappear.