Dog, cat, something else, or nothing?

• 2 weeks later...

We had 3 dogs, but sadly lost 2 in the past year. Our remaining girl (Layla) really seemed lonely. 

So we got this little fella (Winston) for Mothers day. He thinks he is pretty tough.

Love that they are playing together in less than 24 hours. It will be fun once he grows to her size. But he sure has the "want to"   🤣

IMG_0951.jpg

• Like 7

New pets are fun. We have a 3.5 pound Yorkie which is a whole different world after having a 75lb English Bulldog. Cool bonus aside from the massive size difference, the Yorkie has hair and not fur so it doesn’t shed. 

Next week, my little boy is getting to pick up the kitten he picked out of a new litter several weeks back. Should be fun.

Side story: brother in law had just adopted a couple older cats from local shelter. While visiting a couple months ago, my little boy was in a chair with one of the cats on his lap. First time ever being around a cat. When suddenly, he swiftly stood up sending the cat flying to the floor. Thinking the cat must have scratched him I asked what had happened. He said with a shocked look on his face “there is something wrong with it dad. It started vibrating”. 😆 too funny

• Like 4

21 hours ago, bluegrassIU said:

We had 3 dogs, but sadly lost 2 in the past year. Our remaining girl (Layla) really seemed lonely. 

So we got this little fella (Winston) for Mothers day. He thinks he is pretty tough.

Love that they are playing together in less than 24 hours. It will be fun once he grows to her size. But he sure has the "want to"   🤣

IMG_0951.jpg

What kind of dog is Winston?  He looks just like my dog Ted when we first got him. 

• Like 1

On 5/10/2022 at 8:10 PM, bluegrassIU said:

Aussiedoodle. 

I am not much of a "doodle" guy. But my wife is, and he was a gift to her. 

So far so good 

Our dog of 9 years I mentioned previously in this thread is an Aussidoodle. He is full size...80 pounds. They are really smart and good tempered dogs.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

So It has been a long time but I wanted to post an update.

Our 9 year old dog who tore his ACL (or whatever it is called in dogs) is doing better. He had a vet visit this week and she thinks he won't need surgery and he is doing much better. He has some muscle atrophy from not being able to move around much for a few months, but he is actually been doing much better with that as well the past 2 months. He can't jump up on the couch or anything like he used to, but he can walk around...even "trot". He takes an extra second to get up when he has been laying around, but has been doing way better than a few months back.

We had another of the new cats run off, but she returned after a week. So the original two that disappeared in March are still gone, but the 3 new ones, plus one of our original 3 are still around hanging in the barn.

Thanks to everyone for their posts/messages...it was/is appreciated.

image0(90).jpeg

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

I never did update the condition of my old boy Sox. For the most part you would never know. He looks great. Still grosses me out. Just looks like he had a 1 sided face lift. Before and now pics

20220713_062818.jpg

20220412_144850.jpg

20220422_154042.jpg

Poor Fox! Is he in pain? I know dogs are super adaptable, but that looks painful. 

2 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Hey @IUFLAI know you would know this. What did you say before would be average cost per year per horse to take care of? Southern Indiana. Buddy is looking to get into it and I told him horses are like boats....it's not the cost of the boat/horse...it's all the other stuff that sends you to the poor house.

Is he keeping it on his land? If not, then the boarding can be anywhere from $300-$900 per month...Pasture boarding is the cheapest. They simply stay out all the time and pretty much graze. Full board is where they put them in a stall at night, and feed them hay and grain...

If your friend has land, then of course that's no factor...Just gotta worry about feeding, bedding, and vet visits.

We turn ours out to graze during the day, and bring them into their stalls at night. I put about 3 flakes (There's about 9 flakes in each bale) of hay in each stall for overnight munching. Hay is about $11 bucks a bale here right now, delivered.

We also feed them grain 2 times a day. They go through a bag of grain a week. Grain is about $25 per bag. We change out the bedding in their stalls every other day (we muck them every day). Pine shavings are about $7 a bag and will cover 2 stalls.

Vet visits normally twice a year for shots, teeth floating, and sheath cleaning for the geldings. That's usually around $300-$500 per visit, depending on what they get done. Of course, it's cheaper to trailer them to the vet, than have the vet come to your house. 

And the farrier comes about every 6 weeks to either trim their hooves or put on new shoes if they wear them. You overlook that part, and the vet will be making extra visits...and he's not as cheap as the farrier...Costs about $50 per horse for trims, and $200 if they get 4 shoes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Lostin76 said:

Poor Fox! Is he in pain? I know dogs are super adaptable, but that looks painful. 

Currently he is fully recovered. That was from early May. Small abscess turned into having surgery to remove all that skin . After the surgery every week I had to peel the dead skin off to keep it healing. He a tropper and doing great.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Is he keeping it on his land? If not, then the boarding can be anywhere from $300-$900 per month...Pasture boarding is the cheapest. They simply stay out all the time and pretty much graze. Full board is where they put them in a stall at night, and feed them hay and grain...

If your friend has land, then of course that's no factor...Just gotta worry about feeding, bedding, and vet visits.

We turn ours out to graze during the day, and bring them into their stalls at night. I put about 3 flakes (There's about 9 flakes in each bale) of hay in each stall for overnight munching. Hay is about $11 bucks a bale here right now, delivered.

We also feed them grain 2 times a day. They go through a bag of grain a week. Grain is about $25 per bag. We change out the bedding in their stalls every other day (we muck them every day). Pine shavings are about $7 a bag and will cover 2 stalls.

Vet visits normally twice a year for shots, teeth floating, and sheath cleaning for the geldings. That's usually around $300-$500 per visit, depending on what they get done. Of course, it's cheaper to trailer them to the vet, than have the vet come to your house. 

And the farrier comes about every 6 weeks to either trim their hooves or put on new shoes if they wear them. You overlook that part, and the vet will be making extra visits...and he's not as cheap as the farrier...Costs about $50 per horse for trims, and $200 if they get 4 shoes.

Awesome information. Am just going to cut/paste and send to him. He's Pasture boarding...or that's the plan. I just told them this isn't some get a big fence and look at the beautiful horses....I said make sure you know all the costs for quality of life for these animals....and not some photo opp for your social media. Haha.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Billingsley99 said:

Currently he is fully recovered. That was from early May. Small abscess turned into having surgery to remove all that skin . After the surgery every week I had to peel the dead skin off to keep it healing. He a tropper and doing great.

Good to hear. And bless you for taking such good care of him. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

I said make sure you know all the costs for quality of life for these animals

And that's the thing. Sure, you can put them in a pasture and let them graze, but it won't be long until health problems start. I could take some pictures around here that'd break your heart. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

And that's the thing. Sure, you can put them in a pasture and let them graze, but it won't be long until health problems start. I could take some pictures around here that'd break your heart. 

Please don't share those photos....haha. When I see stuff like that I have to quickly look away. Dumb a------- want to get animals but don't have the brains or $ to take care of them. 

• Like 1