Dog, cat, something else, or nothing?

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

Love Goldens...Smart, loyal, friendly...We had one who, from the time we got her when she was a puppy, was basically maintenance free...Open the door, she'd go out (no fence) and stay in the yard, do her business and come right back in...

That said, we got out of the pure bred market 8 years ago...Last 3 we've adopted were from shelters...One is blind, but he gets along...Other 2 are good dogs (and one of them is a full blooded Lab)...Very protective of us...Like they know what we did for them...

There are just so many dogs at these shelters who're really good dogs and need good homes, we couldn't justify going out and buying a $500-$1,000 puppy...

After our experience with rescuing Greta from a local rescue organization, we are committed “adopt, don’t shop” people now. Like you said, there are just so many dogs and cats that need a good home. In 19 short months, Greta became the best friend I’ve ever had and I know we gave her the best 19 months after her time on the street and in shelters. I still tear up thinking about her almost six months later. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DWB said:

He also told us, a Heinz 57 is usually healthier than pure breds.

Specific breeds all have their quirks, and yes, it's generally the mixed breeds that are tougher/healthier. 

We've had two Boston Terriers, and my sister in law had one.  Their biggest weak point is their eyes.  All three started developing cataracts about the age of 10.  Cataract surgery for dogs is usually a standard procedure, but with Bostons and other breeds with "bug" eyes, because of the structure of their eyes, about 1/5 that go through that procedure develop glaucoma.  That can result in quite a bit of discomfort and the only solution is removal of the eye at that point. 

Aside from that, they were fairly healthy dogs.  One of ours died at 11 due to heart failure, but we knew she had an irregular heartbeat from birth.  Never bothered her until the last two or three weeks of her life.  The others lived to 13 and 16. 

2 hours ago, ThePaulieWalnuts said:

We're going to have to put our golden retriever down here soon as she has lymphoma.  Vets said not much they can do at this point.   She's 12 years old i believe.

That's a decent life for a dog. Making that final decision was probably the hardest thing I've had to do in life so far, but in hindsight, I'm glad I made it. 

It was a final gift, letting her go in peace and dignity. 

1 hour ago, Drroogh said:

Actually, you all are staring to bum me! We should celebrate all the relationships we have had with our beloved friends and understand that their time was going to end with Love! But more importantly look forward to new ones! 

+1

We're going to be moving into a new house next week, and then it'll be into the middle of winter. Which makes for a good transitional period. But I think we're all looking forward to having a dog again in 5-6 months. 

• Like 3

Our Christmas present to the Percheron our daughter adopted from a kill pen...a blanket for those Chicagoland winters...

This is costing her a good bit of money...he has serious hoof/ankle issues that could lead to him being put down. Plus $500 a month to board him. But I told her she did this out of the goodness of her heart, and it'll come back around to her...

BTW, the pink wasn't my choice 😁

Resized_received_239881184232597.thumb.jpeg.2b38557636e8bf257e95bf5a6b5455db.jpeg

IMG_8655.thumb.jpg.99df7c50878337e8deffe96637d94204.jpg

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 4

7 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Our Christmas present to the Percheron our daughter adopted from a kill pen...a blanket for those Chicagoland winters...

This is costing her a good bit of money...he has serious hoof/ankle issues that could lead to him being put down. Plus $500 a month to board him. But I told her she did this out of the goodness of her heart, and it'll come back around to her...

BTW, the pink wasn't my choice 😁

Resized_received_239881184232597.thumb.jpeg.2b38557636e8bf257e95bf5a6b5455db.jpeg

IMG_8655.thumb.jpg.99df7c50878337e8deffe96637d94204.jpg

Love this so much. You are good father to do this. What a beautiful animal and I really hope it works out for all of you. 

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

Santa will be bringing this little guy to Ayden for Christmas.  I thought it was too soon until I went and saw him and played his his mom

One of my former players reached out and gave us a good deal after hearing about Hoosier. 

20201219_112713.jpg

Cute lil pup with big paws. 

• Like 1