Dog, cat, something else, or nothing?

I’ve held off posting until now, but our beloved Schipperke, Joy, had her time on earth end Wednesday morning. She came to us as a 7 week old puppy and was part of our family for over 17 years. I’ve had other dogs, but Joy was truly special.  Whether she was my doggy soulmate or spirit animal, I don’t know, but I’ve never had anything close to the same connection. My wife and I don’t have children, so we’ve always had fur babies. But Joy will be the closest I ever come to being a parent. I will miss her dearly, but she had a long and wonderful life. We were blessed. 1FAE943D-5C8D-43CF-8A6E-2ACC5BE86D4C.thumb.jpeg.f2a069f635775eca1d4f925527bbb2b8.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Sad 11

19 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

I’ve held off posting until now, but our beloved Schipperke, Joy, had her time on earth end Wednesday morning. She came to us as a 7 week old puppy and was part of our family for over 17 years. I’ve had other dogs, but Joy was truly special.  Whether she was my doggy soulmate or spirit animal, I don’t know, but I’ve never had anything close to the same connection. My wife and I don’t have children, so we’ve always had fur babies. But Joy will be the closest I ever come to being a parent. I will miss her dearly, but she had a long and wonderful life. We were blessed. 1FAE943D-5C8D-43CF-8A6E-2ACC5BE86D4C.thumb.jpeg.f2a069f635775eca1d4f925527bbb2b8.jpeg

You were blessed to have her for 17 years. She will be waiting for you on the other side 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

My daughter and my grandsons were all there recently when they let their beloved ‘Bear’ go! I feel your pain!

• Like 1

On 5/15/2021 at 6:43 PM, 13th&Jackson said:

So sorry for your loss

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sorry for your loss and delay in posting. 17 years man. What a gem. We got a rescue at age 3 a few years ago. Can't imagine that drive. 

• Thanks 1

On 5/14/2021 at 7:51 PM, IUFLA said:

My wife is a nut...she treats these guys like kids..."The Brat" modeling a hat...

768291007_IMG_20210514_1839562.thumb.jpg.83d31cdb4f82aa70647a5a058e80b8e1.jpg

I seriously want to figure out how to add horses to my life.....just absolutely beautiful animals. I know this might sound dumb....but are there horse shelters/rescues,etc??

Captain Kirk (William Shatner) had this huge horse farm up in Lebanon, Indiana that most don't know about.....he and the wife (she was a trainer) had some charity events and we went to one. Just beautiful animals. I can't imagine how much joy they bring each day. 

1 minute ago, Seeking6 said:

I seriously want to figure out how to add horses to my life.....just absolutely beautiful animals. I know this might sound dumb....but are there horse shelters/rescues,etc??

Captain Kirk (William Shatner) had this huge horse farm up in Lebanon, Indiana that most don't know about.....he and the wife (she was a trainer) had some charity events and we went to one. Just beautiful animals. I can't imagine how much joy they bring each day. 

From 1 year to 3 years old Ayden rode horses as part of therapy to help him talk and to help with balance and core strength. Amazing and beautiful animals

• Like 3

What a beautiful girl. I am so sorry. The connection was there and obviously very strong. Dogs are special, but damn I wish their lifespans weren’t so short. Im still not over losing our Greta last June. Can look at pictures, but watching a video of her still brings me to tears.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Yes they do...a LOT of shelters, off the track thoroughbreds, and horse rescue places.

My middle daughter (the one in Naperville) rescued her horse from a kill pen in Louisiana... Here's a pic of him socializing with other horses at the barn she stables him at...he's the big guy in the middle...

IMG_20210519_163729.thumb.jpg.b411559c41fa679322a4b6b5b791c037.jpg

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Yes they do...a LOT of shelters, off the track thoroughbreds, and horse rescue places.

My middle daughter (the one in Naperville) rescued her horse from a kill pen in Louisiana... Here's a pic of him socializing with other horses at the barn she stables him at...he's the big guy in the middle...

IMG_20210519_163729.thumb.jpg.b411559c41fa679322a4b6b5b791c037.jpg

Just awesome stuff. So talk to me like I'm a 5th grader on this one. We could rescue horses and I'm assuming there are places where we could pay to have them be taken care of? Horse farms where we could rescue the horses and basically donate to a farm? Just trying to figure out how this works. 

My buddy in Arlington Heights is big into horses....and I guess I just never thought of rescuing horses the same way dogs are rescued. 

6 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Just awesome stuff. So talk to me like I'm a 5th grader on this one. We could rescue horses and I'm assuming there are places where we could pay to have them be taken care of? Horse farms where we could rescue the horses and basically donate to a farm? Just trying to figure out how this works. 

My buddy in Arlington Heights is big into horses....and I guess I just never thought of rescuing horses the same way dogs are rescued. 

There are rescues that will let you sponsor a horse in every state. They normally ask for a monthly donation of whatever amount you would like. 

My daughter paid a little over 2K to save Damon from a place that was ready to send him off to slaughter (eating horse meat is prohibited in the US, but both Canada and Mexico use them as a food source). She had him shipped to a barn in Oswego, Illinois that she pays I think it's $300 per month to pasture board him. They feed him grain, hay, and any supplements she provided. He stays out in pasture, but there are run-ins for them to get in out of the rain. She goes out there every day. She doesn't have to, but she does...

Her horse has a bad high ringbone in his ankle, so he can't be worked hard, but she does bareback ride him occasionally, and plans to go on short trail rides this summer. You can see how much she loves him...

IMG_8655.jpg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Lostin76 said:

Our Chloe is really trying to walk on her own after her stroke. We are so proud of her! This just started in the last 24 hours, so we are hopeful for continued improvement. 

We dont have kids. My wife is a softie. She wants to rescue everything.

I grew up with a household full of pets. From cats and dog to iguanas and raccoons.

Our oldest cat had a lump on her abdomen.  Wife was inconsolable.  Told her it was no big deal. Turned out to be a hernia around the incision for her spay. 

We have a phenomenal veterinarian.  He loves animals but his wife wont let them have pets. Every time we go in he acts like they are his own. And because of a good deed we dont have to pay office fees, just pay for his work. 

Glad to hear the good news for yours. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Billingsley99 said:

From 1 year to 3 years old Ayden rode horses as part of therapy to help him talk and to help with balance and core strength. Amazing and beautiful animals

One of my clients in California has horse therapy for kids. Amazing therapy. Sometimes better than humans. Have another client here in Indy area (Agape) that does the same. Really cool stuff. Glad it helped!

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

There are rescues that will let you sponsor a horse in every state. They normally ask for a monthly donation of whatever amount you would like. 

My daughter paid a little over 2K to save Damon from a place that was ready to send him off to slaughter (eating horse meat is prohibited in the US, but both Canada and Mexico use them as a food source). She had him shipped to a barn in Oswego, Illinois that she pays I think it's $300 per month to pasture board him. They feed him grain, hay, and any supplements she provided. He stays out in pasture, but there are run-ins for them to get in out of the rain. She goes out there every day. She doesn't have to, but she does...

Her horse has a bad high ringbone in his ankle, so he can't be worked hard, but she does bareback ride him occasionally, and plans to go on short trail rides this summer. You can see how much she loves him...

IMG_8655.jpg

My Grandparents were raised dirt poor in Kentucky but they always had horses. I'm going to look into this whole operation. Just never knew it existed. Thanks for sharing the intelligence!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

My Grandparents were raised dirt poor in Kentucky but they always had horses. I'm going to look into this whole operation. Just never knew it existed. Thanks for sharing the intelligence!

Sure...anytime. They are fun to be around. But it is a commitment. Even when my wife and I were down with covid we had to go out and do the barn work and take care of them. 

That was a long 3 weeks...

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

We dont have kids. My wife is a softie. She wants to rescue everything.

I grew up with a household full of pets. From cats and dog to iguanas and raccoons.

Our oldest cat had a lump on her abdomen.  Wife was inconsolable.  Told her it was no big deal. Turned out to be a hernia around the incision for her spay. 

We have a phenomenal veterinarian.  He loves animals but his wife wont let them have pets. Every time we go in he acts like they are his own. And because of a good deed we dont have to pay office fees, just pay for his work. 

Glad to hear the good news for yours. 

Forgot to mention, when I left for college I swore I would never have pets again.  Well never say never. I have a house full of them. And I love them all. Even the fish, who just swims around. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

Forgot to mention, when I left for college I swore I would never have pets again.  Well never say never. I have a house full of them. And I love them all. Even the fish, who just swims around. 

Pets make your life fuller. Regardless of the kind of day you had, coming home to a heart full of unconditional love makes any stresses seem inconsequential 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Pets make your life fuller. Regardless of the kind of day you had, coming home to a heart full of unconditional love makes any stresses seem inconsequential 

I have a kitty as soon as I walk in the door climbs up my leg and rests on my shoulder.

I'm 6'4" so she climbs me like a tree. 

Edited by mrflynn03
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, Lostin76 said:

That’s horrible. He’s safe now?

Yes...That's the guy she rescued...You can see he's a little gimpy on his left front...But he's very smart, and very happy...You can see how fast he picked up kicking that ball around...And the vet says he's in pretty good health for the conditions he came out of...

I'm proud of my daughter because it meant more than money to her to get him out of there...Very selfless thing she did...

• Like 1