Old IU basketball games

If you go to YouTube Galen Clavico who puts out a lot of old games have put out some new ones lately.  The other day I watched the IU/PU 1979 NIT championship game the game where Butch Carter hit the winning shot with 8 seconds left.  The one thing that stood out to me was that 3 starters for IU played 40 minutes and the other two starts played 39 minutes so the ben played a total of 2 minutes  the only reason Woodson went out was that he got his 3rd foul with a minute left in the half. 

I also watched the 94-95 game at home against Kansas where Kansas came in #3 in the country and IU was 4-4.  IU  came out and kicked their butt leading by 23 at half and that was even after Patterson went out with a knee injury.  both Evans and Henderson dominated that game with both scoring over 25 points.

He also has put out a game from 1965 against MSU which I have not watched and he has a few older games like that as well.

43 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I watched some of the Illinois-IU game from 1975. I'd forgotten Gene Bartow had coached The Whinin Illini for a year before he jumped to UCLA to replace John Wooden. Bartow was succeeded by Lou-Do

Did not realize that Bartow coached there.  Tonight I think I am going to watch the 81 tournament game against Maryland if I am free because that is one of the best games I have ever seen IU play.

12 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Did not realize that Bartow coached there.  Tonight I think I am going to watch the 81 tournament game against Maryland if I am free because that is one of the best games I have ever seen IU play.

My mind did a mental hitch when I saw Maryland...I was envisioning the 2002 title game slop-fest.

13 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I have several that I'll watch but I usually come back to the same few. I have the 2nd half of IU/Duke in 2002 on my phone so when on the Monon or biking and need a little kick I throw that one on. 

I watch a lot of the 87 and 92 tournament games and the game sin 92 and 93 against Michigan.

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

Gene Bartow had coached The Whinin Illini for a year before he jumped to UCLA to replace John Wooden.

Read an interview of John Wooden.  He retired at age 64 after winning his last national title.  He said there was pressure from UCLA for him to go.  Not forced out by any means.  Just light pressure to step down, so he did.

But he was still interested in coaching.

"No one called,"  Wooden said.  "Not one college reached out to me."

As late as age 93, he still wanted to be an assistant coach somewhere, according to his Wiki page.

15 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Yeah, only one year. Of course when he left for UCLA the delusional Illini faithful probably said it was a "lateral move" like they did when Self moved on.

14 hours ago, Madison22 said:

Read an interview of John Wooden.  He retired at age 64 after winning his last national title.  He said there was pressure from UCLA for him to go.  Not forced out by any means.  Just light pressure to step down, so he did.

But he was still interested in coaching.

"No one called,"  Wooden said.  "Not one college reached out to me."

As late as age 93, he still wanted to be an assistant coach somewhere, according to his Wiki page.

I had never heard that. Maybe his age and the Sam Gilbert rumors scared schools away.

Watched the 81 tournament game against Maryland and that is one of the best offensive showings I have ever seen.  We were able to score 99 points with without a 3 pointer or a shot clock and just took great shots on most possessions.  I just did not remember back then that Knight did not play a rotation at all and only subbed when needed and in the first half in that game 4 starters played all 20 minutes.  Another thing that stands out how simplistic the broadcast used to be and there was not any glitz and glamour.  You did not have graphics all over the screen and they only showed the score after a basket and did not have the clock shown at all.  The only thing was bad that in the second half when IU got up by 30 points they kept switching to other games so you missed some of the IU game.  I remember watching this live and got so upset when they kept switching to other games.

One I remember very well was when Bill Self brought his top 10 Illini team to Bloomington in 2002 and we won by 30+. I think we set the record for 3's in that one too. Was such a clinic in ball movement between Coverdale, Fife, Hornsby, Moye, JJ, Newton, Odle....I think Youtube has a highlight video of it. 

Archived