Max Christie (2021)

Boy. This kid is pure Hoosier but just happens to live in Illinois. Strong household (Dad is a pilot, Mom played hoops at Northwestern). Articles I read suggested very, very humble kid. Doesn't do the social media stuff.

We've never had much success up that way but at least this one is on the up and up. Things can change but his AAU team and coach aren't like the others in the area. Juwan Howard I believe offered him right away. Will be tons of competition for this kid. 

Edit-Duke is apparently the leader for this kid. 

5 minutes ago, CoachSS said:

If Duke pushes this will be long over with. Lives not far from me. Seen him a few times. Phenomenal prospect. Too good for IU at this time, candidly. 

I thought the same when I saw the offer, same as I've felt about our pursuit of Terrence Clarke.

It's tough to figure. Coming off the 2019 class I thought our reach clearly exceeded our grasp. The staff offered almost exclusively top 50 kids early, trying to inject talent into the program quickly, and mostly came away empty. That was in the summer and the fall, after Romeo committed and before the season began, when expectations were still riding high. The headwinds we face in recruiting have only gotten stronger since.

I thought we saw a recalibration in response with the 2020 class, where the staff has been pursuing mostly kids ranked in the 75-200 range. Kids that wouldn't make an immediate impact but could grow old in the program. And kids that were more likely to commit to a program still a few years away from contending. 

But maybe what I thought was a recalibration was just a result of the limitations of the 2020 class? Our offers out in 2021 are to the top Indiana kids, of course, but then two top ten players in the class. Kaufman is a top 75 kid, the rest top 40. Maybe it's that you only offer the sure things this far out, and maybe we'll have a clearer picture of Archie's plan this time next year. But at the moment we seem to be returning to the high-risk/high-reward strategy of the previous recruiting cycle.

44 minutes ago, Maedhros said:

I thought the same when I saw the offer, same as I've felt about our pursuit of Terrence Clarke.

It's tough to figure. Coming off the 2019 class I thought our reach clearly exceeded our grasp. The staff offered almost exclusively top 50 kids early, trying to inject talent into the program quickly, and mostly came away empty. That was in the summer and the fall, after Romeo committed and before the season began, when expectations were still riding high. The headwinds we face in recruiting have only gotten stronger since.

I thought we saw a recalibration in response with the 2020 class, where the staff has been pursuing mostly kids ranked in the 75-200 range. Kids that wouldn't make an immediate impact but could grow old in the program. And kids that were more likely to commit to a program still a few years away from contending. 

But maybe what I thought was a recalibration was just a result of the limitations of the 2020 class? Our offers out in 2021 are to the top Indiana kids, of course, but then two top ten players in the class. Kaufman is a top 75 kid, the rest top 40. Maybe it's that you only offer the sure things this far out, and maybe we'll have a clearer picture of Archie's plan this time next year. But at the moment we seem to be returning to the high-risk/high-reward strategy of the previous recruiting cycle.

I had similar thoughts. 

The optimistic view would be that Archie realizes we're a little toxic right now and hopes to have the ship righted by this time next year, and thus able to pull top kids. Might also be that he feels good about where we stand with 2020 kids and the development of current guys, so he feels a little freer to swing for the fences in 2021?

The pessimistic view would be he just didn't learn his lesson and we're going to strike out in 2021. 

2 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Nothing crazy, just CoachSS’s opinion on this recruitment... You can see the deleted post quoted in Maedhros’s post above.

Makes sense and I don't have a problem agreeing with it. The fact that Archie has been able to get Romeo and TJD has been phenomenal....but I think he really wants to follow the Beilein/Michigan model if he can. 

14 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Honestly can't recall a five star out of Rolling Meadows. Pretty high brow suburb of Chicago. Maybe IU will have a chance.  And yet another '21 to follow.  Thanks TDH.

Haha. As an alumni I can say that when I went there we were definitely not referred to as high brow. They called us Rolling Ghettos - while that nickname was a bit of a stretch and used mainly because it rhymed, we were somewhere between the 2. 

Maybe this kid can become our most famous alumni and inch ahead of Jimmy Garoppolo and Bill Lumbergh. 

lumberg.jpg

7 minutes ago, CoachSS said:

It’s a simple recruitment and IU was late to the party. Nothing else needs to be read into or combed over. 

#Next 

Well when you said IU is not good enough it sounded like a slight to the program but Duke does get a lot of  players from the Chicago area.  It is not like IU has not been able to land top recruits since Archie got here with Romeo and TJD plus Hunter who was a top 50 player

Yep.  I have heard the term... Rolling Ghett

1 hour ago, tdhoosier said:

Haha. As an alumni I can say that when I went there we were definitely not referred to as high brow. They called us Rolling Ghettos - while that nickname was a bit of a stretch and used mainly because it rhymed, we were somewhere between the 2. 

Maybe this kid can become our most famous alumni and inch ahead of Jimmy Garoppolo and Bill Lumbergh. 

lumberg.jpg

Yep, have heard the term Rolling Ghettos as well. Upon reflection, It depends on what part of Rolling Meadows, one lives in.  Years ago, we had a member who was from Rolling Meadows.  Stifler was his user name. Brady Stiff in real life.  A real neat guy, despite where he came from. Went on to become a big wig at WGN in Chicago.  Was a horse racing fan. What with the horse track close to Rolling Ghettos. He actually worked summers there, while being a student at IU.  He also did stuff at WIUX, which helped him get an apprenticeship at WGN. 

Really nice for you to report on this td.  Brings back good memories for me.  I wish you well.

ICB Grad Brady Stiff - WGN Producer 

Before his gig at WGN :

Brady Stiff Cubs PA Audition

15 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

There is a sad truth to what CoachSS said.  IU is simply not a brand that means as much to today's 17 year old as it did in the 1980's.  

As fans, we have to accept that is not going to change overnight.

I agree but the problem is that a lot of our fan base expectations are still from the 80's so if our coach doesn't produce that right away they call for his head.

Archived