Max Christie (2021)

46 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I agree but the problem is that a lot of our fan base expectations are still from the 80's so if our coach doesn't produce that right away they call for his head.

Is it unfair to have expectations? I'm never going to change that part. We showed that we were a dominant program from 70's, 80's,and 90's. I think we should embrace those expectations instead of lowering standards to a new IU or new norms. 

5 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Is it unfair to have expectations? I'm never going to change that part. We showed that we were a dominant program from 70's, 80's,and 90's. I think we should embrace those expectations instead of lowering standards to a new IU or new norms. 

When there are seven other big ten schools including Nebraska and Minnesota willing to spend more on athletics than IU?

Yes.

11 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I wasn’t even alive in the 80s, and it doesn’t really seem like we’re on track to meet the standards set in the last 10 years.

On a somewhat related note, I sometimes wonder if Crean would find it amusing or infuriating to see how much the fanbase is currently shifting blame from the coaching staff to the administration.  Wasn’t too long ago that we all laughed off his comments about “finding the right fit” with an administration as sour grapes...

30 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

I wasn’t even alive in the 80s, and it doesn’t really seem like we’re on track to meet the standards set in the last 10 years.

On a somewhat related note, I sometimes wonder if Crean would find it amusing or infuriating to see how much the fanbase is currently shifting blame from the coaching staff to the administration.  Wasn’t too long ago that we all laughed off his comments about “finding the right fit” with an administration as sour grapes...

YOU, were not even alive in the 80's !  And I mean this with all sincerity. Knowing you are a Hoosier fan.  Just wish you could have enjoyed some of our greatest teams and seasons, as it happened.   If, anything, IU owes it to you and others of your age, to return to what many of us knew, before your were born, in order to repay you for your loyalty.

Reading and learning about it is one thing. But to live it, is a different thing. 

38 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

He's saying I told you so to any and everyone that will listen. Harbaugh brothers said as much as well. 

48 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

YOU, were not even alive in the 80's !  And I mean this with all sincerity. Knowing you are a Hoosier fan.  Just wish you could have enjoyed some of our greatest teams and seasons, as it happened.   If, anything, IU owes it to you and others of your age, to return to what many of us knew, before your were born, in order to repay you for your loyalty.

Reading and learning about it is one thing. But to live it, is a different thing. 

Definitely.  I don’t even know what I’d do if IU made the Final Four.

15 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

I would smile...and it would take me back to 1973.  Ah...the start of something very, very special.  The good ole days were just that.  

18 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Tradition. Steal one of the dolphins off of Showalter Fountain. Only to return it years later. 

IU Won't Seek Prosecution Of Showalter Fountain Fish Thief 

Unfortunately, I’m not on campus anymore.  But I was lucky enough to be there for the best five-year stretch IU has had since the Knight days (2011-2016).  Not quite as dominant, but still a lot of good memories.

13 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Unfortunately, I’m not on campus anymore.  But I was lucky enough to be there for the best five-year stretch IU has had since the Knight days (2011-2016).  Not quite as dominant, but still a lot of good memories.

Yeah. I was not on campus for our last two National Championships.  Had the pleasure of viewing them in Las Vegas. 

15 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

I think the expectations you have should be based on what the current team looks like and not what it was like in the 70's or 80's.  I never really have expectations more than what next year should bring and not what I think we should be.

13 hours ago, FW_Hoosier said:

I've got about ten years on you. I was on campus for our last Final Four, that miracle run under Mike Davis. It's one of my favorite memories. 

But I wasn't a passionate Indiana Basketball fan until I arrived on campus. My family wasn't from Indiana originally, we moved to the state shortly after the last title in '87. I have no memory of the success of the 80's, and by the time I was old enough to pay attention Knight had already lost his fastball. My memories of Knight are of losing to Colorado and Pepperdine, not of teams led by Isiah Thomas or Steve Alford. 

Like you, those years from 2011-2016 are the most sustained success Indiana Basketball has had within memory. Outside that outlier 2002 season, it's the only times we've won the Big Ten or made the Sweet Sixteen since I was not yet 12, in 1994. My expectations for Archie have nothing to do with Indiana Basketball in the 80's. My standard is only that he be better than the guy he replaced. Unfortunately we're still TBD on that account, and some of the early returns haven't inspired confidence.

22 hours ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Cry like the rest of us. Lol. Its a special time for sure. I remember where I was, who I was with, How I felt in 76, 81 and 87 like they were yesterday. It never leaves you.

23 minutes ago, Indykev said:

Cry like the rest of us. Lol. Its a special time for sure. I remember where I was, who I was with, How I felt in 76, 81 and 87 like they were yesterday. It never leaves you.

I am the same way about the '40 championship.

1 hour ago, Indykev said:

nCry like the rest of us. Lol. Its a special time for sure. I remember where I was, who I was with, How I felt in 76, 81 and 87 like they were yesterday. It never leaves you.

The thing I remember about 81 was that I was 10 years old and off on spring break.  I was watching TV during the day and they came in and said President Reagan was shot and pretty much watched that all day.  They then started about whether or not the game would be played or not.  I guess at that age I was more worried about the game than the condition of the president because I was getting upset at the thought of no game.

In ‘87 my now deceased father in law sat and watched the UNLV game with me when he had basically no interest and very little knowledge about college basketball. He knew Bobby Knight, and that was about it.

We didn’t have the closest of relationships but for those few hours we were able to connect 

Archived