Top Five Point Guards in IU History ?

So much miss in that article...I almost didn't consider Damon Bailey a guard, but if you include him, you gotta include Vic even though he left a season early.  Jimmy Rayl was before his and my time, but you still can't exclude him.  I can only guess he excluded Eric Gordon due to his short tenure.

Pretty poor attempt.  I think this forum could collectively put together a far better list, but you'd also have to define the parameters for inclusion beyond "played at IU".

13 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

So much miss in that article...I almost didn't consider Damon Bailey a guard, but if you include him, you gotta include Vic even though he left a season early.  Jimmy Rayl was before his and my time, but you still can't exclude him.  I can only guess he excluded Eric Gordon due to his short tenure.

Pretty poor attempt.  I think this forum could collectively put together a far better list, but you'd also have to define the parameters for inclusion beyond "played at IU".

The article was only about PGs.  That's why Alford isn't on it.

18 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

The article was only about PGs.  That's why Alford isn't on it.

My error. I titled the thread,  guards only. Have edited to reflect point guards.  Thanks for pointing that out to me (no pun intended, LOL )

I actually thought the list was pretty good.  At least I had the top three the same as the author. I don't know the history prior to Quinn Buckner.  I am not sure I would consider Damon a point guard, but more of a combo guard in today's world.  I would not choose Smart, but don't really have a clear cut favorite to replace him. Coverdale, Lewis, Guyton, Reynolds, and some obvious point guards I am sure I am missing. 

55 minutes ago, Chad B said:

I actually thought the list was pretty good.  At least I had the top three the same as the author. I don't know the history prior to Quinn Buckner.  I am not sure I would consider Damon a point guard, but more of a combo guard in today's world.  I would not choose Smart, but don't really have a clear cut favorite to replace him. Coverdale, Lewis, Guyton, Reynolds, and some obvious point guards I am sure I am missing. 

IMO, Bailey's game was closer to a 3 than a 1.

Just now, rico said:

Smart never led us in assists in the 2 years he played.  Alford actually led the team in '87...and Hillman did in '88(I think).  

Yeah, I think there's a lot of ambiguity in talking about IU point and shooting guards over the years. I remember Bobby Wilkerson did a lot of the ball handling for the IU squads in 74 thru 76. He had more assists than Buckner in 76 too, so who was really the point guard?

Brought up AJ Guyton for the same reason. I know Michael Lewis was on those teams as well, but AJ handled a lot of the point guard duties as I remember it.

1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

Yeah, I think there's a lot of ambiguity in talking about IU point and shooting guards over the years. I remember Bobby Wilkerson did a lot of the ball handling for the IU squads in 74 thru 76. He had more assists than Buckner in 76 too, so who was really the point guard?

Brought up AJ Guyton for the same reason. I know Michael Lewis was on those teams as well, but AJ handled a lot of the point guard duties as I remember it.

Well AJ should be on that list over Smart.  And when Bailey played, multiple guys "handled" the ball.

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

Greg Graham was not a point guard and Lyndon Jones did not even start his last two years

Ten out of eleven players on the 1990 - 1991 team shot over 50% from the field.

If not for the coach's son Pat Knight, would this have been the first team in NCAA history to have every player top 50% for a season?  

shooting IU.JPG

11 hours ago, Madison22 said:

Ten out of eleven players on the 1990 - 1991 team shot over 50% from the field.

If not for the coach's son Pat Knight, would this have been the first team in NCAA history to have every player top 50% for a season?  

shooting IU.JPG

Calbert Cheaney shot almost 60% from the field.  Try and imagine a player with a mid-range game doing that in today's day and age.  Oh, wait, there is no such thing as a mid range game.  

Archived