Should MLB Stadiums extend protective netting all...

I am tending to lean towards extending the protection.  However, I also think it can take away from the purity of the game, just as instant replay (IMHO) has done.

This would never have happened, had there been netting down to the foul pole :

The Steve Bartman incident

Nor would the many outs that have happened since the Bartman incident, when there was no fan interference, and a player was able to reach over the wall and get the out.

As much as it protects the fans (which I am for).... it also takes away from the game, in two respects. 

1 minute ago, 5fouls said:

I say no.  Everything we do has some element of danger.  You can't protect against everything.  I pay for a lower level ticket, I want an unobstructed view.

How many kids will miss out on having a ball tossed to them by a mlb player?

Or be able to get an autograph, before game time ? 

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

Without access to players, over time, you will lose more fans than you protect.

I get it. Reason why, I say there are pro's and con's to extending the protective netting.  I could argue either way. And still not be sure I have a valid argument, either way.

Really torn on this one. Of course we want people safe but as mile and others mentioned there are parts of the game that will be impacted. Might as well as start mandating colleges have netting too. Aluminum bats generate far more speed off the bat. 

Call me whatever. Baseball has been played for over a century. Some stuff should just be left alone.

14 hours ago, 5fouls said:

I say no.  Everything we do has some element of danger.  You can't protect against everything.  I pay for a lower level ticket, I want an unobstructed view.

How many kids will miss out on having a ball tossed to them by a mlb player?

You can see fine threw the netting and shouldn't obstruct your view.

Wouldn't it be ironic. If a player were to throw a ball over the protective netting. To a kid.  And the ball hits the kid in the head ?  Then MLB bans giving balls out to fans.

In fact, I am so old, I remember the day when players got fined if they tossed balls into the stands after plays.   Or was that the NFL ?   LOL

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

I would rather not have that 8 year old kid leave on a stretcher than have him get a foul ball.

Tragic story out of Southern Indiana today.  An 11 year old girl was killed by a falling tree while at Girl Scout camp. 

You simply cannot prevent bad things from happening.  If you try too hard you take away good things.

MLB player interactions with young fans during a game is a good thing.  Scout camps are a good thing.  Don't take away good things because a randon bad thing happened.

3 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Tragic story out of Southern Indiana today.  An 11 year old girl was killed by a falling tree while at Girl Scout camp. 

You simply cannot prevent bad things from happening.  If you try too hard you take away good things.

MLB player interactions with young fans during a game is a good thing.  Scout camps are a good thing.  Don't take away good things because a randon bad thing happened.

Just heard that on the radio...and Amen.

Archived