2020 NBA Mock Draft - B10 Players

https://www.nbadraft.net/2020mock_draft

I am very surprised that there are only 7 Big Ten players listed out of 60 draft picks.  Even more surprising is that Illinois has the highest projected player.  Maryland has two in the first round and one in the second round.  MSU has two in the second round and Penn State has one.  

I am hoping DeRon Davis has a breakout, healthy year and slips into the second round.  

What? No Keion Brooks Jr?  Shocking that a kid who is 8th or so in rotation and already being recruited over isn't already on most mock drafts. This one has Kris Wilkes written all over it. Sorry I digress. Was listening to a guy on Indy radio yesterday that said TJD has the highest upside for future NBA prospects but the good news for him and IU is that he seems to understand he probably isn't OAD. 

13 hours ago, Chad B said:

https://www.nbadraft.net/2020mock_draft

I am very surprised that there are only 7 Big Ten players listed out of 60 draft picks.  Even more surprising is that Illinois has the highest projected player.  Maryland has two in the first round and one in the second round.  MSU has two in the second round and Penn State has one.  

I am hoping DeRon Davis has a breakout, healthy year and slips into the second round.  

Only 6 players from the Big Ten were drafted this year, and Romeo at 14 and Poole at 28 were the only players to go in the first round.  The Big Ten has lagged behind the other conferences for years in producing NBA talent — DeRon is a good example.  Might be able to bang in the Big Ten, but he’s just not the type of player NBA teams are looking for.  No way he gets drafted.

19 minutes ago, BDB said:

Georgia and TC have two in the top 35 projected.

People can bang on Crean for in game coaching or recruiting strategies but one thing is certain. He has as much talent in the league  as anyone not named Cal, Self, Roy or K in the past 10 years. It plays and it sells on the recruiting front. 

2 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

People can bang on Crean for in game coaching or recruiting strategies but one thing is certain. He has as much talent in the league  as anyone not named Cal, Self, Roy or K in the past 10 years. It plays and it sells on the recruiting front. 

His roster management killed him at IU.

33 minutes ago, BDB said:

His roster management killed him at IU.

As did Lyles being committed for 2 years and bailing, Fischer getting home sick, Perea Devon Davis and Hollowell being bums, Creeks injuries, OGs injury, and Holt getting mixed in with HP and DD. 

Just saying there were A LOT of unforeseen circumstances that happened, as well. 

9 minutes ago, btownqb said:

As did Lyles being committed for 2 years and bailing, Fischer getting home sick, Perea Devon Davis and Hollowell being bums, Creeks injuries, OGs injury, and Holt getting mixed in with HP and DD. 

Just saying there were A LOT of unforeseen circumstances that happened, as well. 

Couldn't agree more (although with Lyles that was kind of dodging a bullet). Crean's recruiting fell off (partly, I think, as he was burning out at IU) and he failed to keep his classes balanced, but there were a lot of key injuries and departures and other things that factored in. Creek was so, so good before the knee injuries. 

31 minutes ago, btownqb said:

This is true too. Yesterday the BIG Network had the NYE game against OSU in Zeller's freshmen year on. It was really fun to watch and I had several takeaways from that game. But as far as Crean goes with the roster and some of the inconsistencies post 2011-13, it made me wonder where IU/Crean would be if many of the things you mentioned and a few others didn't happen. 

Even if Creek still had the injuries, where would the Vonleh team be if Remy Abel and Creek hadn't transferred? Instead of Evan Gordon and Stan Robinson playing a ton of guard/wing minutes on that team you would have had veterans in Abel and Creek with 3-4 years in the system to help support Yopi and Sheehey. Sheehey wouldn't have had to be 'the leader' with a young Yogi also thrust into a leadership role. 

Then you follow-up that up with Fischer transferring and the Holt/Davis accident, so the 14-15 team would not have had zero inside presence. You would have had some combination of Fischer, Davis and Holt, etc., to surround a backcourt of a junior Yogi, Senior Abel, freshmen JBJ/RoJo. 

So where is IU/Crean if some of those things go differently and the 13-14 team makes the Tournament and the 14-15 team is experienced and good to enough to make something like a Sweet Sixteen run? Then you follow it up with the Big Ten Title in 15-16 and another Sweet Sixteen run. All of the sudden Yogi's career looks like two Big Ten titles and 3 tournament runs, while making the tournament all 4 years. 

Things may have been a lot different, and while Crean absolutely had/s deficiencies and quirks, and there's still the elephant in the room of how he alienated Indiana high school coaches, etc., if a few things out of his control had gone differently, things could be a lot different. Maybe with that success and guys like Davis having a better IU experience, etc., the recruiting never falls off?

Disclaimer: This is not meant as an anti-Archie post. I've been a pretty ardent supporter of Archie and still am. 

6 minutes ago, BGleas said:

This is true too. Yesterday the BIG Network had the NYE game against OSU in Zeller's freshmen year on. It was really fun to watch and I had several takeaways from that game. But as far as Crean goes with the roster and some of the inconsistencies post 2011-13, it made me wonder where IU/Crean would be if many of the things you mentioned and a few others didn't happen. 

Even if Creek still had the injuries, where would the Vonleh team be if Remy Abel and Creek hadn't transferred? Instead of Evan Gordon and Stan Robinson playing a ton of guard/wing minutes on that team you would have had veterans in Abel and Creek with 3-4 years in the system to help support Yopi and Sheehey. Sheehey wouldn't have had to be 'the leader' with a young Yogi also thrust into a leadership role. 

Then you follow-up that up with Fischer transferring and the Holt/Davis accident, so the 14-15 team would not have had zero inside presence. You would have had some combination of Fischer, Davis and Holt, etc., to surround a backcourt of a junior Yogi, Senior Abel, freshmen JBJ/RoJo. 

So where is IU/Crean if some of those things go differently and the 13-14 team makes the Tournament and the 14-15 team is experienced and good to enough to make something like a Sweet Sixteen run? Then you follow it up with the Big Ten Title in 15-16 and another Sweet Sixteen run. All of the sudden Yogi's career looks like two Big Ten titles and 3 tournament runs, while making the tournament all 4 years. 

Things may have been a lot different, and while Crean absolutely had/s deficiencies and quirks, and there's still the elephant in the room of how he alienated Indiana high school coaches, etc., if a few things out of his control had gone differently, things could be a lot different. Maybe with that success and guys like Davis having a better IU experience, etc., the recruiting never falls off?

Disclaimer: This is not meant as an anti-Archie post. I've been a pretty ardent supporter of Archie and still am. 

Same I'm a big Archie fan.. but you can't ignore there were a lot of things that happened under Crean that he simply couldn't control. 

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

OMG, you summed it up pretty well. Sounds like a string of total disasters. 

6 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Sarcasm or?

Not at all. When we think about incidents in isolation, it may seem not too bad. But when gathering and lining up all items, I thought Crean had gone through a lot. Hope the experience at IU would be worth a great deal for the rest of his career. I'm sure it would.  

Archived