Jalen Bridges - 2020 Commits to West Virginia

4 minutes ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

Wonder if we made the top 10 due to lack of bigger college offers or if he truly has interest in IU, especially with us offering just over a month ago. 

I think those are just his best offers/interests. Who makes top 10s now that Dave has retired anyways? Just let me know when he knocks down to a couple. Probably be 3 more cuts to go before then lol.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Looks like Archie is trying to get that hybrid 3-4 player. Between Bridges and Cross we are in good shape to land one. Geronimo isn’t as big but he has a solid frame on him and still can give us another great wing. If we get one of these then land a big and I would say he hit a home run this offseason.

6 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Looks like Archie is trying to get that hybrid 3-4 player. Between Bridges and Cross we are in good shape to land one. Geronimo isn’t as big but he has a solid frame on him and still can give us another great wing. If we get one of these then land a big and I would say he hit a home run this offseason.

Genuine question.  You seem to have been more cautious with your support of Archie's stewardship until this summer. Feel free to correct me if I'm off base on that.  I've enjoyed your takes on how the team is being constructed moving forward. 

Is the current 2020 class, and status on prospects for 2020 and 2021, the reason for your optimism?  I'm generally pretty optimistic by nature, so a different point of view is always appreciated. 

40 minutes ago, Hoosierinbham said:

Genuine question.  You seem to have been more cautious with your support of Archie's stewardship until this summer. Feel free to correct me if I'm off base on that.  I've enjoyed your takes on how the team is being constructed moving forward. 

Is the current 2020 class, and status on prospects for 2020 and 2021, the reason for your optimism?  I'm generally pretty optimistic by nature, so a different point of view is always appreciated. 

I wasn’t all that sure his direction with his first recruiting class. I liked Rob and Jerome and of course Romeo was great but it didn’t tell me much about his style. I had to take a deep breath and step back and look at what he was doing. I was really disappointed in that 12-13 game stretch last year and squandering Romeos recruitment. However even with a down season we saw Robs progression and he now has landed top recruits in Indiana first TJD and Armaan who while talented are team first guys. Then followed  up with Leal and Galloway (when I only thought we could land one). He brought in a tough SOG in Brunk and the guys he is on in 2020 with Cross, Geronimo, and Bridges I like the idea of 6’4-6’7 all shoot/pass/defend interchangeable. That said he isn’t giving up and still in the convo with a few 5*s...but selective in targeting those. If he can land one every few years with the hard nosed talent he has already they can shine. I just think the team is starting to take an identity...his...and it is starting to make sense. Now can he put it together and coach...I think so. This team is starting to feel like what he had at Dayton...except with some pedigree to be more talented. It isn’t happening over night but over the next couple years I feel good about what we will have and the effort we will see. Will we hang banner 6...that’s a long shot given the landscape of cheating and what the top programs are currently doing but we will have some exciting Marches again.

Kind of reminds me of a more under control and polished Justin Smith. I am not sure I like his shooting stroke but he obviously is getting results. The chances Archie strikes out on Cross, Bridges, and Geronimo has to be slim. Feel good where we are. Then that 4th and final scholly can be saved til next spring when Love and Garcia will be deciding.

13 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I wasn’t all that sure his direction with his first recruiting class. I liked Rob and Jerome and of course Romeo was great but it didn’t tell me much about his style. I had to take a deep breath and step back and look at what he was doing. I was really disappointed in that 12-13 game stretch last year and squandering Romeos recruitment. However even with a down season we saw Robs progression and he now has landed top recruits in Indiana first TJD and Armaan who while talented are team first guys. Then followed  up with Leal and Galloway (when I only thought we could land one). He brought in a tough SOG in Brunk and the guys he is on in 2020 with Cross, Geronimo, and Bridges I like the idea of 6’4-6’7 all shoot/pass/defend interchangeable. That said he isn’t giving up and still in the convo with a few 5*s...but selective in targeting those. If he can land one every few years with the hard nosed talent he has already they can shine. I just think the team is starting to take an identity...his...and it is starting to make sense. Now can he put it together and coach...I think so. This team is starting to feel like what he had at Dayton...except with some pedigree to be more talented. It isn’t happening over night but over the next couple years I feel good about what we will have and the effort we will see. Will we hang banner 6...that’s a long shot given the landscape of cheating and what the top programs are currently doing but we will have some exciting Marches again.

Greatly appreciate your response. It's easy to listen to the people you always agree with, and tune out the others. We all want the same thing.

Agree about what is taking shape with Archie's plan. Not sure we'll ever know how much he was limited by Glass at the beginning.  The losing streak hurt moral and momentum. Luckily we have a gritty coach that isn't all flash. 

Love what has happened this summer. Adding Brunk, Mike Roberts, and the 2020 recruits has begun to clarify a plan.  I like where we are headed. Indiana high school basketball provides us with a unique opportunity to have fundamentally sound AND highly ranked recruits right in our backyard.  Now we just need some wins.  Cheers!

2 hours ago, Hoosierinbham said:

Greatly appreciate your response. It's easy to listen to the people you always agree with, and tune out the others. We all want the same thing.

Agree about what is taking shape with Archie's plan. Not sure we'll ever know how much he was limited by Glass at the beginning.  The losing streak hurt moral and momentum. Luckily we have a gritty coach that isn't all flash. 

Love what has happened this summer. Adding Brunk, Mike Roberts, and the 2020 recruits has begun to clarify a plan.  I like where we are headed. Indiana high school basketball provides us with a unique opportunity to have fundamentally sound AND highly ranked recruits right in our backyard.  Now we just need some wins.  Cheers!

Couldn’t say it better. I mean we are still landing the best the state turns out and they seem to have a passion for the program too! Winning will bring the national recruits. I do worry about his offense...I wasn’t wowed by it this year but the effort on defense was inspiring. If we build a tough minded foundation similar to what Purdue has but with our cache we can still land the star player so I like what we can accomplish. I’m curious to see how we do this year. We lack the star power but maybe we will be more balanced. I think a tournament appearance would give us enough momentum to land the prize recruits in 21 that we desire.

8 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Couldn’t say it better. I mean we are still landing the best the state turns out and they seem to have a passion for the program too! Winning will bring the national recruits. I do worry about his offense...I wasn’t wowed by it this year but the effort on defense was inspiring. If we build a tough minded foundation similar to what Purdue has but with our cache we can still land the star player so I like what we can accomplish. I’m curious to see how we do this year. We lack the star power but maybe we will be more balanced. I think a tournament appearance would give us enough momentum to land the prize recruits in 21 that we desire.

Agree on the offensive concerns, but the offense created open looks that guys just couldn't hit.  We also had a ton of shots during the streak that Romeo driving to the right, and Juwan getting to the rim, just couldn't convert. Some of that had to be fatigue. 

Not sure who will be the focus of the offense this year; would guess it will be much more dispersed.  Just hope our outside shooting improves.

On 8/24/2019 at 6:04 PM, dgambill said:

Kind of reminds me of a more under control and polished Justin Smith. I am not sure I like his shooting stroke but he obviously is getting results. The chances Archie strikes out on Cross, Bridges, and Geronimo has to be slim. Feel good where we are. Then that 4th and final scholly can be saved til next spring when Love and Garcia will be deciding.

I wish JSmith shot the ball from out front of his face instead of from behind his head. He might hit one if he did. I think Archie gets 2 of the 3.

1 hour ago, Indykev said:

I wish JSmith shot the ball from out front of his face instead of from behind his head. He might hit one if he did. I think Archie gets 2 of the 3.

You think he will take two more wings?? He will have a ton on the roster. You don’t think he will take 1 and move to a big?

7 hours ago, Indytime said:

Archie said tonight he could take 4-6 guys for 2020. 

I'll let Archie and his staff handle the numbers. Kids can leave early, transfer, graduate early and head elsewhere...all sorts of options. Regarding 4-6....I like it. Just keep adding talent. The rest will figure itself out. 

Seems like Archie is using the 2020 class to create his baseline for the program (probably wanted to do in 2018) and can now approach 2021 5 star guys with specific spots where they can start day 1.

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

I'll let Archie and his staff handle the numbers. Kids can leave early, transfer, graduate early and head elsewhere...all sorts of options. Regarding 4-6....I like it. Just keep adding talent. The rest will figure itself out. 

Seems like Archie is using the 2020 class to create his baseline for the program (probably wanted to do in 2018) and can now approach 2021 5 star guys with specific spots where they can start day 1.

Agree, and I would expect some turnover potentially after this season. Archie has had very little turnover to this point in his IU career, but coming into next season you'll potentially have:

Durham

Anderson

Franklin

Leal

Galloway

Cross (if he commits)

And even potentially Bridges and/or Geronimo

I didn't include Hunter because I view him as more of a true wing, almost wing/small ball 4. He's unlike those other guys where he's a legit 6'7" that's long and athletic. Regardless, that's a long list of sort of similar players. They all have different traits and things they excel at of course, but that's a lot of guys for a handful of spots that actually get minutes. I don't see all of those guys being on the 2020-21 roster. 

There's not a Priller type on that list. All of those guys want to play and want minutes. 

5 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Agree, and I would expect some turnover potentially after this season. Archie has had very little turnover to this point in his IU career, but coming into next season you'll potentially have:

Durham

Anderson

Franklin

Leal

Galloway

Cross (if he commits)

And even potentially Bridges and/or Geronimo

I didn't include Hunter because I view him as more of a true wing, almost wing/small ball 4. He's unlike those other guys where he's a legit 6'7" that's long and athletic. Regardless, that's a long list of sort of similar players. They all have different traits and things they excel at of course, but that's a lot of guys for a handful of spots that actually get minutes. I don't see all of those guys being on the 2020-21 roster. 

There's not a Priller type on that list. All of those guys want to play and want minutes. 

And these are very good problems to have if it all shakes out. Shoot Cal is doing it just so happens to be with 5 stars. Kids will really have to decide if team means something. No hard feelings if anyone does leave. Kids want playing time. I get it. 

13 hours ago, FW_Hoosier said:

And we get the final visit.  Kind of interesting that no one is really talking about this kid.  Seems like we have a legit shot at him.

Agreed, and we are clearly the most prestigious bball school on his list. I would think WV based on him being from there? 

Archived