Ed Schilling Moving On...

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Suppose Dan Dakich is happy.

Unlike Dan. I liked Ed.

Personally, don't know what to make of this.

But then again.  Ed has always been a  Rolling Stone

Ed was a family friend. Been on a non-IU news vacation over the last 30 days after baseball season came to an end but with this news and Tom Allen and crew killing it on 2020 recruiting, it's time to re-engage.

Appears I need to make some calls bc this has pulled me back in. Wishing Ed a step up and hoping he lands well on his feet. 

4 minutes ago, B_A said:

Ed was a family friend. Been on a non-IU news vacation over the last 30 days after baseball season came to an end but with this news and Tom Allen and crew killing it on 2020 recruiting, it's time to re-engage.

Appears I need to make some calls bc this has pulled me back in. Wishing Ed a step up and hoping he lands well on his feet. 

I am hearing from many people tonight.  All consider Ed a friend. The more I learn. The more I am sorry that Ed is moving on. Thanks for sharing. No doubt. Unlike Dan Dakich who thinks other wise, Ed has made a positive impact in the state of Indiana.

Welcome back from your non-IU vacation !

I hope we get some insider info on this development. This combined with the Austin Van Zyl saga have made for a weirder than usual 24 hours. Personally, I've always thought assistant coaches were overrated, but the timing of this is definitely odd. 

3 minutes ago, OGIUAndy said:

I hope we get some insider info on this development. This combined with the Austin Van Zyl saga,  have made for a weirder than usual 24 hours. Personally, I've always thought assistant coaches were overrated, but the timing of this is definitely odd. 

Hey.  A day without drama is like a day without sunshine...now where did I put my beer?

Anyone else ever notice that Ed never seemed to be very involved with Archie during the games? Always seemed like the odd man out on the bench with Tom and Bruiser in Archie’s ear and Ed talking to the players. Not sure if that’s normal or not-just an observation.

12 minutes ago, madmax said:

Anyone else ever notice that Ed never seemed to be very involved with Archie during the games? Always seemed like the odd man out on the bench with Tom and Bruiser in Archie’s ear and Ed talking to the players. Not sure if that’s normal or not-just an observation.

Actually, yes I did.

39 minutes ago, rico said:

Actually, yes I did.

Figured I wasn’t the only person who noticed it.  Not sure how to properly articulate this, but it always sort of made me sad. Idk, maybe it just seemed like he was looked down on or his ideas weren’t valued. Or maybe it just never seemed like quite the fit I hoped it would be. I find that I always just generally want things to work out for people at IU. Always makes me sad to see players/coaches  I’m sure I’m looking into it waaaaay too much, but still. Body language often tells far more then press conferences, at least if you’re paying attention.

I have no idea what happened here but I always hated the idea of having a former Cal disciple on the staff.  When Brooks popped for UK I was immediately ready for Ed to get the boot.  It just had the Kyrie Irving debacle written all over it again.  I'd like to see Bruiser get canned as well.  Ostrum is good though.

8 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

I have no idea what happened here but I always hated the idea of having a former Cal disciple on the staff.  When Brooks popped for UK I was immediately ready for Ed to get the boot.  It just had the Kyrie Irving debacle written all over it again.  I'd like to see Bruiser get canned as well.  Ostrum is good though.

To me the timing is just really odd. Whoever our next assistant is for this role. Are there any former coaches, players,etc...with very strong state ties who seems to be the next up and coming coach? I don't mind Archie hiring a guy to lure a recruit but I'd prefer the guy be able to deliver more than just 1 kid. 

13 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

To me the timing is just really odd. Whoever our next assistant is for this role. Are there any former coaches, players,etc...with very strong state ties who seems to be the next up and coming coach? I don't mind Archie hiring a guy to lure a recruit but I'd prefer the guy be able to deliver more than just 1 kid. 

Archie could just hire Pat Knight and finally bury that hatchet once and for all. 😃

I don’t know Ed but sounds like a great guy personally. That said could be several things, recruiting failures...mismatch of ideas...even Ed wanting to be a head coach again. Just hope it isn’t something like a recruiting violation or something. Good luck Ed! Thanks for your hard work over the years.

Wow this is not great timing because most coaching staffs are already set so it could be hard to get someone to come in this late in the process.  Maybe it is time to bring in a former IU guy so we don't have to hear people complain about that all year LOL!  also it wouldn't be a bad idea to bring someone who could be like an offensive coordinator.

10 minutes ago, Feathery said:

Ostrom and Schilling didn’t get along. Ostrom is the top recruiter and Archie’s guy. Schilling not holding up his side in recruiting leads to this. 

Thanks for posting. Occam's razor usually applies. Ed is certainly beloved but if he wasn't getting it done. Time for a split. Just hope it's nothing else. 

7 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Thanks for posting. Occam's razor usually applies. Ed is certainly beloved but if he wasn't getting it done. Time for a split. Just hope it's nothing else. 

If he wasn't getting it done, wouldn't you release him in March, after the season ends? Jettisoning an assistant in June, in the middle of the summer evaluation periods, feels odd to me, as someone admittedly very much on the outside of that process.

7 hours ago, madmax said:

I was coming on here to post the same exact thing.  Been watching this since Miller got here.  There were very few in-game interactions between Miller and Schilling.  Miller leans on Ostrom first and then Bruiser during games.  During timeouts Shilling was often on the outside of the huddles chatting with Clif Marshall and playing more of a cheerleader role to the players.  I didn't necessarily view this as a negative because Ed's role was often perceived as the in-state recruiting ace and player development coach.  It was just pretty odd, and had been going on for 2 years.  

This isn’t a big deal at all.  From my understanding it was somewhat mutual.  As someone else said Ostrom is our lead and best recruiter and he and Ed clashed so to speak.  I don’t believe there is any hard feelings on either side, just something that didn’t work out. Let’s hope for a popular name to jump on board.

This is kind of a "meh" thing in my opinion. I think people get too worked up over these things. Timing is certainly odd, but the program will go on and changes like this happen, and are an opportunity for a new voice and to improve in some areas. 

Archived