Ed Schilling Moving On...

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Steubenhoosier said:

So, we want an offensive minded, ex-IU player who is still hungry because he hasn’t made millions, and is young enough to relate to today’s teenagers.

Bracey is just our guy 🤪

He's even got a built in catch phrase he can use when he lands a recruit.  "Help is on the way!"  

3 hours ago, milehiiu said:

IU fans hissing about a radio talk show host ?  Now. I wonder who that could be ? 

I swear.  Alex's dad reads HSN.

By the way. Thanks for the link 5.

No he is just is on the DD show a lot during the basketball season and believe he is from the region as well.

Put me in the camp for finding the best coaching prospect Irregardless of Indiana ties. Some of the most impactful assistant coaches in the B1G recently: Purdue’s Greg Gary and Michigan’s Luke Yaklich.

Coach Gary was a big reason why Purdue’s offense has been elite over the past two seasons, as he became in charge of calling/designing plays. Coach Yaklich brought the defensive principles which made Michigan a juggernaut on D. 

Both coaches graduated from schools NOT named Purdue and Michigan! Let’s just get the best assistant coach for the Hoosiers... and remember not to overreact if it’s not a household name. 

41 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

No he is just is on the DD show a lot during the basketball season and believe he is from the region as well.

Yes. Rick is from NWI. Remember Eamonn Brennon ? Started at IU. And moved on to ESPN.  Helped Alex get his site started. As well as doing IU "Stuff".  He dated Alex's sister, Maggie.  Don't know how that turned out. Other than they were Journalism majors at IU.

6 minutes ago, Burton Guster said:

Did anyone else see Brooke Martin from WISH tv had a picture on her Facebook tonight of her with Calbert? No idea where they are though, or if it relates to this topic (probably doesn't) but I wanted to mention it since his name has come up on this thread.

I’m not sure if Calbert lives in Indiana but he is here right now as Brooke Martin said she met him tonight. 

65379251_2285449388175161_83221687514662

11 minutes ago, Burton Guster said:

Did anyone else see Brooke Martin from WISH tv had a picture on her Facebook tonight of her with Calbert? No idea where they are though, or if it relates to this topic (probably doesn't) but I wanted to mention it since his name has come up on this thread.

Seeing as how I don't live in Indiana, any longer. I looked up Brooke's FB page. Due to your post.  And I found this hottie. With Calbert.

Also, a fairly recent update on Calbert :

Former IU player Calbert Cheaney to join National Collegiate Basketball Hall of Fame - Indiana Daily Student

2 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Really? FWIW Rick Bozich is a CBB Writers Hall of Fame journalist. An IU Alumni who has won numerous awards. Knows as much about IUBB as anyone who posts here. The only student writer that Coach Knight would let into practice. His opinions are well earned.

8 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Sigh.  I'm in that 50+ range that often gets labelled as 'too old'.  What's next?  Are you going to ask us to sleep on a pee stained couch?

Ha,

I wish I was still 50 :).

My point was not that someone in their 50’s could not do the job but that rather someone that had achieved certain very high career heights (Smart and Wittman as NBA Coaches etc) might no longer be interested in running around recruiting 16,17 year olds. Who knows, maybe they would love it. I just know there were things I willingly did early in my career that I would not want to do now. That was the intent/point of my post.

9 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

Luke Zeller

That name crossed my mind as well.  I know his camps are doing really well and he for sure knows the game.  He's 100% on the up n' up so there would be NO concern for anything shady. Probably a pipe dream, but it'd be kinda cool to have 2/3's of the Zeller family with IU ties.

And a side note.....I think Luke has the pointiest elbows I've ever seen.  I caught several of them with my face when he was in 8th grade and would work out with the varsity team.

9 hours ago, milehiiu said:

65379251_2285449388175161_83221687514662

Seeing as how I don't live in Indiana, any longer. I looked up Brooke's FB page. Due to your post.  And I found this hottie. With Calbert.

Also, a fairly recent update on Calbert :

Former IU player Calbert Cheaney to join National Collegiate Basketball Hall of Fame - Indiana Daily Student

She actually just came back after a few months off because she lost baby through her pregnancy.  They found out the baby would not make it through birth but she still had to carry the baby full term even though they knew the baby would not survive.

8 hours ago, Moyeneeded said:

Really? FWIW Rick Bozich is a CBB Writers Hall of Fame journalist. An IU Alumni who has won numerous awards. Knows as much about IUBB as anyone who posts here. The only student writer that Coach Knight would let into practice. His opinions are well earned.

Bozich is probably the journalist I follow the most.  The only one I actively seek out online to see what he has written.  

30 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

She actually just came back after a few months off because she lost baby through her pregnancy.  They found out the baby would not make it through birth but she still had to carry the baby full term even though they knew the baby would not survive.

If you guys haven't watched her mini documentary story piece.... wow.  Respect.   Major tears flowing.  Her strength actually made me stop crying.  My baby boy is only 7 months so it hit real close.  

In the last 48 hours I've learned just how much assistant coach's successes go completely under the radar from a fans and even the media's perspective. I've come to this conclusion because:

A). I haven't heard one assistant's name thrown out there who doesn't have ties to IU. I'm sure Archie knows who the good assistants are, but I have absolutely no clue of which guys are the most in demand. It doesn't seem like our beat writers know either. 

B). This just may be me, but I've never heard of Coach Gary (PU) and Coack Yaklich (UM) until last night. Yet, they were so instrumental to the success of Michigan and Purdue. All the while, as a fan, I attribute most of the credit to Beilein/Painter and the rosters. I'm not saying the head coaches don't deserve a good amount of the credit because they are the ones who made the hires, but man - these guy's value really goes unnoticed outside of their respective fan bases. 

....just thinking out loud. 

2 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

In the last 48 hours you I've learned just how much assistant coach's successes go completely under the radar from a fans and even the media's perspective. I've come to this conclusion because:

A). I haven't heard one assistant's name thrown out there who doesn't have ties to IU. I'm sure Archie knows who the good assistants are, but I have absolutely no clue of which guys are the most in demand. It doesn't seem like our beat writers know either. 

B). This just may be me, but I've never heard of Coach Gary (PU) and Coack Yaklich (UM) until last night. Yet, they were so instrumental to the success of Michigan and Purdue. All the while, as a fan, I attribute most of the credit to Beilein/Painter and the rosters. I'm not saying the head coaches don't deserve a good amount of the credit because they are the ones who made the hires, but man - these guys value really goes unnoticed outside of their respective fan bases. 

....just thinking out loud. 

For those of with ties to Illinois have known about Yaklich. Will be a head coach in next few years after Texas. Known as a defensive guy. Little more information on him. Beilein also brought Yak to Michigan to get DJ Carton (former IU target and 5 star PG). Carton's family and Yak have been long time family friends....which made it even more of a shock that DJ chose Ohio St. 

29 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

If you guys haven't watched her mini documentary story piece.... wow.  Respect.   Major tears flowing.  Her strength actually made me stop crying.  My baby boy is only 7 months so it hit real close.  

Thanks Scott, and NTL.  Looked it  up.  Tough story :

Brooke Martin shares heartbreaking family announcement 

25 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

For those of with ties to Illinois have known about Yaklich. Will be a head coach in next few years after Texas. Known as a defensive guy. Little more information on him. Beilein also brought Yak to Michigan to get DJ Carton (former IU target and 5 star PG). Carton's family and Yak have been long time family friends....which made it even more of a shock that DJ chose Ohio St. 

Is Luke from Illinois?

1 minute ago, rico said:

Is Luke from Illinois?

Yep. LaSalle Peru, Sterling, Joliet stops before jumping to Illinois St. Success pretty much has followed him everywhere.Very, very well known throughout the Northern part of the state. Probably Beilein made the smart move in luring him away from his alma mater. 

Archived