Ed Schilling Moving On...

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Another Indiana high school coach I thought of was Jason Delaney who coaches at Cathedral now.  He has won championships at Walderon and tech and if I am not mistaken coaches AAU.  ball as well.  I am not sure how the high school coaches got started but I don't see Archie going that route.

No thanks. Given his reaction to IU fans after the Trey Lyles fiasco that he was knee deep in.....no way. Don't care if he sends us 10 Franklin's I won't forgive that time ever.

2 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

No thanks. Given his reaction to IU fans after the Trey Lyles fiasco that he was knee deep in.....no way. Don't care if he sends us 10 Franklin's I won't forgive that time ever.

Wasn't there stuff with him and Paul Scruggs going off to prep school when he was the coach at Southport? I can't remember the details though.

That Southport team was good with Brunk and Scruggs. They ran up against Romeo and New Albany though. 

1 hour ago, SpiderMonkey said:

Wasn't there stuff with him and Paul Scruggs going off to prep school when he was the coach at Southport? I can't remember the details though.

That Southport team was good with Brunk and Scruggs. They ran up against Romeo and New Albany though. 

He’s never coached at Southport.

On 6/27/2019 at 8:46 PM, milehiiu said:

Conversely. A guy in his 50's. Who has made millions of dollars. Spearheaded by his time at IU.  And is not in it for the money. But rather, his love of the game. And his love of IU for what IU  has done for him. Might just want to repay IU. Not only for what IU did for him. But for the simple pleasure of loving the game.  No strings attached. Just a love of the game. And IU.  And who does not love the great city of B-town ?  IUBB and B-town. A match made in heaven. 

You know, I read this, and while it's not a perfect example, the first name that popped into my head was Scott Rolen.

I'm trying to think like an 18 year old.  If Jim Shannon shows up to watch my practice, I'm probably like, who's that?  New Albanys old coach.  Oh.  End of thought process.  I would think coaches would be more excited than the player.  Walking in decked in IU gear will turn heads no matter what.  We need a closer.  Hopefully CAM has someone just for the job.  In this day and age some NBA clout would be nice.  

47 minutes ago, SpiderMonkey said:

He coached at Southport from 04-08. 

But it was Kyle Simpson who coached Brunk and Scruggs at Southport. 

I’d forgotten about that but I knew Simpson was the one that coached  Southport at that point.

7 hours ago, NotIThatLives said:

I'm trying to think like an 18 year old.  If Jim Shannon shows up to watch my practice, I'm probably like, who's that?  New Albanys old coach.  Oh.  End of thought process.  I would think coaches would be more excited than the player.  Walking in decked in IU gear will turn heads no matter what.  We need a closer.  Hopefully CAM has someone just for the job.  In this day and age some NBA clout would be nice.  

I understand what you're saying, but not sure I agree.

I'll preface this by saying I live in Texas, so if you try to talk basketball down here, they turn the conversation to football or their latest fungal infection. So I don't get to hear any scuttle like a lot of people on here do.

I've read on here that Schilling's 2 strengths were recruiting and player development. I would think it would be desirable for his replacement to have those same strengths. Having someone with an NBA "name" might be nice, but my fear would be that's all they bring. If you look at it, most assistants are obscure to the common fan or high school players until they start the recruitment process. I mean, can anyone here name any assistants on Virginia's or Villinova's staffs?

I think Archie is a hard worker, and his selection here will probably mirror that work ethic. I think getting someone the high school coaches like and respect is crucial too. They're the front door to these kids. And we saw how badly not having that kind of presence hurt Mike Davis and Tom Crean in recruiting battles.

4 hours ago, IUFLA said:

I'll preface this by saying I live in Texas, so if you try to talk basketball down here, they turn the conversation to football or their latest fungal infection. So I don't get to hear any scuttle like a lot of people on here do.

I've read on here that Schilling's 2 strengths were recruiting and player development. I would think it would be desirable for his replacement to have those same strengths. Having someone with an NBA "name" might be nice, but my fear would be that's all they bring. If you look at it, most assistants are obscure to the common fan or high school players until they start the recruitment process. I mean, can anyone here name any assistants on Virginia's or Villinova's staffs?

I think Archie is a hard worker, and his selection here will probably mirror that work ethic. I think getting someone the high school coaches like and respect is crucial too. They're the front door to these kids. And we saw how badly not having that kind of presence hurt Mike Davis and Tom Crean in recruiting battles.

I get that and do think he could get in the coaches office anywhere in the state and probably surrounding states.  Does a 60 something year old man on the cusp of retirement want to work 80 hours a week?  Maybe for a half a million for 3 years and a refactored state pension.  

5 hours ago, IUFLA said:

At this point in CBB, I'm not sure which is more important: High School coaches or AAU coaches.

14 hours ago, NotIThatLives said:

He’s got the cache of being Romeo’s Langford’s coach and is a recent state title winner, I’d guess Indiana high school players are very well aware of who he is. Nationally? Probably not though. 

Ed was instrumental in  the development of Yogi Ferrel, and Trevon Bluiet (Sp?).  Yes. Indiana.  Yet achieved national notoriety when he left Park Tudor for UCLA, according to UCLA:

Ed Schilling - Men's Basketball Coach - UCLA

Romeo Langford is moving on to the NBA.  However, there are others that have moved to the next level. With Ed's help.

So, I guess what I am saying is an HIgh School coach, can achieve recognition beyond his own state.

Archived