Assistant Coach Vacancy

Figured it would be worthwhile to start a new thread for this discussion. Here's some of my initial questions...

Do we know what kind of coach is needed? Do we know what kind of coach CAM wants? Some speculate we need a stud recruiter and someone that is an offensive guru, but is that what CAM thinks we need or what he wants/is looking for?

Also, who is out there that are legitimate candidates that CAM could go after?

I would love for some of our insiders to chime in if they have any answers. I honestly don't have an opinion one way or another. I would love to get another player development guy, but this time one that can teach shooting.

• Replies 578
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Madison22 said:

Do we need a top recruiter, or a great X's and O's teacher and coach?

I believe we need one or the other, but it's unlikely to find both in one person.   

Whoever it ends up being, I hope they have a history of proven and recent success.

If I were to make the decision, I would want a good Midwest region recruiter. Or someone specializing in any particular region. Coaching is the head coach's main job. 

15 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Yes.  Jim Shannon is the coach from New Albany.

Well RMK hire Ron Felling a HS coach who coached Marty Simmons and Davis hired DJ White's HS coach.  It is strange that they would hire Shannon now since Romeo is already gone and you usually hire a HS coach to get a recruit.

Might be a good opportunity to get a coach that can help the team improve its offense... The offense was just way too stagnant last year.  Getting an offensive-minded assistant has worked pretty well for Porkchop up in West Lafayette, and Bennett won a championship after making significant changes to his offensive system.  Hopefully Archie’s not too stubborn to try to improve his approach.

On the other hand, it also seems like our recruiting has taken a bit of a hit, so the program could definitely use another stud recruiter as well.

5 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Might be a good opportunity to get a coach that can help the team improve its offense... The offense was just way too stagnant last year.  Getting an offensive-minded assistant has worked pretty well for Porkchop up in West Lafayette, and Bennett won a championship after making significant changes to his offensive system.  Hopefully Archie’s not too stubborn to try to improve his approach.

On the other hand, it also seems like our recruiting has taken a bit of a hit, so the program could definitely use another stud recruiter as well.

The offense was a little stagnant but I felt like we got good shots most of the time but just did not knock down the open shots

6 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

This is the boat I am in. Getting a defensive guy worked out great for Beilein. I’d like to see what happened if Arch brought in an OC. 

21 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Well RMK hire Ron Felling a HS coach who coached Marty Simmons and Davis hired DJ White's HS coach.  It is strange that they would hire Shannon now since Romeo is already gone and you usually hire a HS coach to get a recruit.

Maybe he can actually coach? 

12 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

I don't think he's too stubborn whatsoever. We've seen IU run different offensive sets in just his two years already. We've seen really good hi/low zone offense, we've mostly seen a ball screen continuity offense, we've seen a flex offense at times, and not as much last season but in his first season we saw some sets with off ball screens. Last year there didn't seem to be as much variety, but I think that was more due to injury and personnel.

Just my experience, which doesn't make me right, but in my experience stagnation on offense is more due to the players than the coach. Unless you're running a heavy iso offense, I don't know many coaches that would be happy with no movement on offense.

9 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

This is the boat I am in. Getting a defensive guy worked out great for Beilein. I’d like to see what happened if Arch brought in an OC. 

Problem wasn’t the offense last year...it was bad because we had no shooters to keep the defense honest. Not that we have better shooting but let’s see how we do with improving these guys shooting skills. Coaches coach....Archie is a point guard...if he can’t run an offense he shouldn’t be a coach. I want an assistant that will be a coach that these kids gravitate to in recruiting or while at IU. If the guy can help on the recruiting front so be it...or if he helps the maturing and learning of the kids great...but Archie shouldn’t have to bring in someone to teach a new system. We start knocking down shots the offense will be just fine.

1 hour ago, milehiiu said:

Thanks for starting this thread.

Per a great friend. One who I trust.  Who has given me approval to post. And  as I posted in the other thread.  Jim Shannon is in the running.

Can you or anyone else share his bio, connections,etc....help me connect the dots why he would be a good fit/addition and who he could help recruit. Thanks!

Good article via our ever-alert HSN member @The Daily Hoosier :

"We need someone that can recruit.  Someone that can captivate the hearts and minds of today’s teenage basketball stars.

(The in-state class of 2021) is going to be one of the best ever.  But they aren’t going to just walk in the door."

Full story, with a few names mentioned:

https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/indiana-basketball-time-to-hire-an-assistant-coach-with-iu-ties-nope/

25 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Problem wasn’t the offense last year...it was bad because we had no shooters to keep the defense honest. Not that we have better shooting but let’s see how we do with improving these guys shooting skills. Coaches coach....Archie is a point guard...if he can’t run an offense he shouldn’t be a coach. I want an assistant that will be a coach that these kids gravitate to in recruiting or while at IU. If the guy can help on the recruiting front so be it...or if he helps the maturing and learning of the kids great...but Archie shouldn’t have to bring in someone to teach a new system. We start knocking down shots the offense will be just fine.

Couldnt agree more.  Anyone who thinks he cannot coach an offense is acting silly.  The guy has been around good to great offenses as a player and a coach his entire life.  He has chosen tonfocus on defense as IU was pretty poor in that area.  You win based on D, and they will get there.  There were plenty of good x and o on offense.  Bottom line make shots when open.  3-4 more made shots a game and a post who can guard the 5 we will be winning and everyone will be saying it is the new assistant.  When really, its players making shots, that are open, and a kid who can guard the paint.

5 minutes ago, Fiveoutofsix said:

Couldnt agree more.  Anyone who thinks he cannot coach an offense is acting silly.  The guy has been around good to great offenses as a player and a coach his entire life.  He has chosen tonfocus on defense as IU was pretty poor in that area.  You win based on D, and they will get there.  There were plenty of good x and o on offense.  Bottom line make shots when open.  3-4 more made shots a game and a post who can guard the 5 we will be winning and everyone will be saying it is the new assistant.  When really, its players making shots, that are open, and a kid who can guard the paint.

I was at the Michigan home "game",  Michigan made shots, IU missed everything. Make shots and IU has a decent season. 

30 minutes ago, Madison22 said:

Good article via our ever-alert HSN member @The Daily Hoosier :

"We need someone that can recruit.  Someone that can captivate the hearts and minds of today’s teenage basketball stars.

(The in-state class of 2021) is going to be one of the best ever.  But they aren’t going to just walk in the door.

Full story, with a few names mentioned:

https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/indiana-basketball-time-to-hire-an-assistant-coach-with-iu-ties-nope/

What a great article from our great friend... TDH.  Sorry that I missed it. He just keeps churning out great material.  It's hard to keep up with him. And this mile high salute is to you 22 for bringing it to us as to share.  Thanks

56 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Can you or anyone else share his bio, connections,etc....help me connect the dots why he would be a good fit/addition and who he could help recruit. Thanks!

6. You know I love you. Just sharing what I have been allowed to share.  He and Coach Miller have talked about filling the position.

2 hours ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

The coach from New Albany?

Shannon a good X&O coach with over 600 wins. Well respected across the state by the coaching fraternity. Kids love him. Would be a good hire. Don't know how much it would help with recruiting outside of Indiana, but the doors will be open in-state.

Archived