Assistant Coach Vacancy

1 hour ago, milehiiu said:

6. You know I love you. Just sharing what I have been allowed to share.  He and Coach Miller have talked about filling the position.

All good! Won't ask again. Just was curious about filling the position. Figure there has to be a connection to talent somewhere along the lines. Not rear mirror talent but forward looking talent.

• Replies 578
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Seeking6 said:

All good! Won't ask again. Just was curious about filling the position. Figure there has to be a connection to talent somewhere along the lines. Not rear mirror talent but forward looking talent.

Well. Without going into details. One was not helping Coach fulfilling his promise to lock up the state. While one under consideration is being considered because of the belief that he could fulfill Coach's promise to us.  I love them both. Unfortunate that one was not able to complete the mission.

Could it be that Archie is getting input and feedback from Shannon on good ideas of a guy in terms of being an asset for good relations with Indiana HS coaches?

Regardless of how it ended up, Felling by the way was a very good x's and o's coach and solid recruiter.  As one example, he picked out Brian Evans and brought him to Knight.  Knight looked to Felling a lot on strategies as well, which is great respect given the source's own strategies and knowledge.  

4 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Could it be that Archie is getting input and feedback from Shannon on good ideas of a guy in terms of being an asset for good relations with Indiana HS coaches?

Regardless of how it ended up, Felling by the way was a very good x's and o's coach and solid recruiter.  As one example, he picked out Brian Evans and brought him to Knight.  Knight looked to Felling a lot on strategies as well, which is great respect given the source's own strategies and knowledge.  

Good post.

5 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Thanks for starting this thread.

Per a great friend. One who I trust.  Who has given me approval to post. And  as I posted in the other thread.  Jim Shannon is in the running.

Wow...New Albany's coach ? Just 30 minutes south of me....he's a great one and a pleasant surprise.

1 hour ago, milehiiu said:

Well. Without going into details. One was not helping Coach fulfilling his promise to lock up the state. While one under consideration is being considered because of the belief that he could fulfill Coach's promise to us.  I love them both. Unfortunate that one was not able to complete the mission.

Shannon can!

Hearing that there was no  anger from either side.  Just that Ed was a round peg that did not fit into a square hole. In other words. The coaching team all liked him. But not his thoughts on how  to the program was being run.

Personally. I can't wait to see where Ed lands. And I am sure he will.  Only question, is when.

Jim Shannon has a ton of central and southern Indiana connections. Has coached high caliber players.  In my opinion, it doesn’t have to be an IU guy...kids aren’t that appealed by players who played 20+ years ago. 

Dak is so hellbent on it being someone like that. I’d take Fife for sure, don’t get me wrong. Or Calbert. Get someone who will be a positive difference in both strategy and recruiting. 

This one might be a bit out of left field, but I wonder if Jordan Hulls would be interested in returning to Bloomington and starting his coaching career. He's played for 5 years over in Europe and wonder if it's maybe time to hang em up. He would resonate with current kids, knows how to shoot, and I think would be able to make inroads with many of the coaches, both high school and AAU, here in Indiana. 

Just a thought

1 hour ago, dbmhoosier said:

I wonder what would have happened had we landed KB.  I honestly think Ed would still be here.

I doubt it. Brooks is a good player for sure, and the vast majority, if not all of us wanted him at IU, but it’s not like he’s Zion Williamson, or  even Cody Zeller or Romeo Langford. Hes not a program changing player. It’s not like Schilling was hired for that one recruitment. 

20 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

This one might be a bit out of left field, but I wonder if Jordan Hulls would be interested in returning to Bloomington and starting his coaching career. He's played for 5 years over in Europe and wonder if it's maybe time to hang em up. He would resonate with current kids, knows how to shoot, and I think would be able to make inroads with many of the coaches, both high school and AAU, here in Indiana. 

Just a thought

I think does well in Europe: https://www.fiba.basketball/europecup/18-19/news/winners-of-fiba-europe-cup-fan-awards-announced

It would be nice, but if I was a successful professional player, I would not necessarily jump to coaching until I was past my prime. He still has lots of time to decide to coach.

49 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Just a thought

Of all the former players out there, he is the one I always come back to when thinking about which one would be a really good coach someday. I assume he would want to play as long as possible. When his playing days are over, I believe he will make a heck of a coach if he chooses to pursue that path. 

54 minutes ago, GaloisGroupe said:

I think does well in Europe: https://www.fiba.basketball/europecup/18-19/news/winners-of-fiba-europe-cup-fan-awards-announced

It would be nice, but if I was a successful professional player, I would not necessarily jump to coaching until I was past my prime. He still has lots of time to decide to coach.

Looked , and couldn’t find anything on how much he’s making over there. At some point he may just want to come home. I understand that he’s doing well over there, but has he hit his ceiling? Opportunity to coach at his alma mater seldom comes around 

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

I doubt it. Brooks is a good player for sure, and the vast majority, if not all of us wanted him at IU, but it’s not like he’s Zion Williamson, or  even Cody Zeller or Romeo Langford. Hes not a program changing player. It’s not like Schilling was hired for that one recruitment. 

I agree.  But I thought Ed was hired mainly for his recruiting.  If he couldn't close the deal on KB then honestly what good is he?   That would be my first thought if I was Archie.

3 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Just a thought

No and you would not bring in a person who has no coaching experience at all and make them a full time assistant coach.

1 hour ago, dbmhoosier said:

I agree.  But I thought Ed was hired mainly for his recruiting.  If he couldn't close the deal on KB then honestly what good is he?   That would be my first thought if I was Archie.

You don't hire an assistant for one hire because that is just plain dumb if you do.

On 6/28/2019 at 3:24 PM, 5fouls said:

Yes.  Jim Shannon is the coach from New Albany.

Archie is supposed to hire the guy with players not the guy whom you have already gotten his player.

Landers favorite coach. Either aau or high school is still my vote. 

8 hours ago, Coach Robby said:

Jim Shannon has a ton of central and southern Indiana connections. Has coached high caliber players.  In my opinion, it doesn’t have to be an IU guy...kids aren’t that appealed by players who played 20+ years ago. 

Dak is so hellbent on it being someone like that. I’d take Fife for sure, don’t get me wrong. Or Calbert. Get someone who will be a positive difference in both strategy and recruiting. 

Of former players its Lewis or Fife. Fife knows Izzo isn't going forever.

Complete random thought, but what’s Matta up to?  Has his health improved?   Heard him in the mix at  UCLA - but could’ve been hearsay.  If health is still an issue - perhaps would consider / fit into a backseat job?   

I realize this is a complete negative one % chance thing, but wishful thinking 

Archived