Assistant Coach Vacancy

• Replies 578
  • Created
  • Last Reply

TDH wrote a great article on some potential candidates to replace Ed Schilling...

https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/iu-basketball-thirteen-names-for-the-assistant-coach-opening/

Couple thoughts of my own:

• While I like Elston, I think we need someone that's more proven as a recruiter and actual coach.
  • I think Kenny Johnson would be good for recruiting, but I don't know how he is as a coach.
  • I don't know what to think about Jason Delaney.
  • Keith Stevens and Terrance "Munch" Williams would be really good for recruiting.
  • Dane Fife would be a home run IMO and would be my first choice.

What do you guys think about the potential candidates? Has there been any insider info come out about who CAM is targeting or considering?

On 7/1/2019 at 8:02 PM, 5fouls said:

I've reached the age (53) where stories like this hit me hard.  

He had some fun teams. I can only think how successful he would be in the modern college basketball and also with the modern NCAA where basically anything goes...that said Tark was right...selective discipline definitely is a problem with the NCAA and UNLV is not North Carolina or Kentucky.

11 hours ago, T-Free20 said:

TDH wrote a great article on some potential candidates to replace Ed Schilling...

https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/iu-basketball-thirteen-names-for-the-assistant-coach-opening/

• While I like Elston, I think we need someone that's more proven as a recruiter and actual coach.
  • I think Kenny Johnson would be good for recruiting, but I don't know how he is as a coach.
  • Keith Stevens and Terrance "Munch" Williams would be really good for recruiting.

What do you guys think about the potential candidates? Has there been any insider info come out about who CAM is targeting or considering?

Galloway and Drew intrigue me.

I’m getting a little antsy - an evaluation period begins this weekend. 

I though this would be a quicker hire. My concern is that the longer we wait, the further down Archie’s wish list we are getting. Hoping this isn’t the case. 

Admittedly I know nothing about these guys, but based on the bios, I like the idea of Kuwik.  

2 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

I’m getting a little antsy - an evaluation period begins this weekend. 

I though this would be a quicker hire. My concern is that the longer we wait, the further down Archie’s wish list we are getting. Hoping this isn’t the case. 

Admittedly I know nothing about these guys, but based on the bios, I like the idea of Kuwik.  

This is just a thought and pure speculation. Let's say we have an "understanding" in place for our next assistant already but wouldn't it be better if we waited to announce it being official so this assistant isn't being held to the same contact rules,etc....as other assistants? I've often thought when Urban Meyer took his time off from Florida before Ohio St all he was doing was recruiting, building relationships,etc....while not being governed by NCAA so that when he started coaching again he could hit the ground running quickly.

Again. Not saying Archie is doing this but a delay isn't a bad thing sometimes.

3 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

This is just a thought and pure speculation. Let's say we have an "understanding" in place for our next assistant already but wouldn't it be better if we waited to announce it being official so this assistant isn't being held to the same contact rules,etc....as other assistants? I've often thought when Urban Meyer took his time off from Florida before Ohio St all he was doing was recruiting, building relationships,etc....while not being governed by NCAA so that when he started coaching again he could hit the ground running quickly.

Again. Not saying Archie is doing this but a delay isn't a bad thing sometimes.

Our compliance department would allow this?  Me thinks not...but I love the premise.

12 hours ago, T-Free20 said:

If locking down the state and scoring big in the 2021 class are the priorities, I'd say Jason Delaney would require a real hard look. 

Here's an older (2018) TDH article with a Delaney Interview

Sounds like the guy can coach, and having coached at 2 prominent Indiana high school and AAU ball, I'm sure he's got a lot of in-state connections...

3 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

If locking down the state and scoring big in the 2021 class are the priorities, I'd say Jason Delaney would require a real hard look. 

Here's an older (2018) TDH article with a Delaney Interview

Sounds like the guy can coach, and having coached at 2 prominent Indiana high school and AAU ball, I'm sure he's got a lot of in-state connections...

He's very well known. Obvious coaching experience. We could do much worse. My only thing and I know this seems petty but the way he took to the radio and airwaves after the Trey Lyles decommit (that he obviously was involved in) still ticks me off. Maybe I should just say it's part of the game but still rubs me wrong. 

2 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

He's very well known. Obvious coaching experience. We could do much worse. My only thing and I know this seems petty but the way he took to the radio and airwaves after the Trey Lyles decommit (that he obviously was involved in) still ticks me off. Maybe I should just say it's part of the game but still rubs me wrong. 

Was he the one that kind of attacked IU’s staff and fans for not staying with Lyles?

After the decommit it was obvious he was going to a Nike school and a lot of people on the IU side lost interest.  I remember a few people on his side being pretty critical. 

Looking back, there were a few recruits we heard told IU to not bother because they were going to a Nike or UA school. Kind of makes sense with the recent news. 

5 hours ago, rico said:

Our compliance department would allow this?  Me thinks not...but I love the premise.

I can't see how they'd have much to say about what a guy did before he was hired as long as he didn't do anything illegal like buy IU bumper stickers.

6 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

I can't see how they'd have much to say about what a guy did before he was hired as long as he didn't do anything legal like buy IU bumper stickers.

The jist is...I don't trust our compliance department.

4 hours ago, BeerBQ said:

Was he the one that kind of attacked IU’s staff and fans for not staying with Lyles?

After the decommit it was obvious he was going to a Nike school and a lot of people on the IU side lost interest.  I remember a few people on his side being pretty critical. 

Looking back, there were a few recruits we heard told IU to not bother because they were going to a Nike or UA school. Kind of makes sense with the recent news. 

Yes. And he did it very quickly and quite honestly I remember thinking who is this little twerp high school coach think he is to tell IU fans to calm down.

Archived