Assistant Coach Vacancy

• Replies 578
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, Indykev said:

No rush here because NCAA allows a fourth person, such as the ops guys to recruit if you are down an assistant coach. Archie will get the right guy in time.

True, but they would clearly rather have their guy out there recruiting at a critical time rather than someone just taking up space.

11 minutes ago, The Daily Hoosier said:

True, but they would clearly rather have their guy out there recruiting at a critical time rather than someone just taking up space.

Are there any rumblings about who they are targeting? Seems to be all speculation at this point. 

1 hour ago, The Daily Hoosier said:

Just an FYI many times a hire is not announced so recruiting can happen during off period.  This is a tatic, within the rules, that has been done for years.  Davis, Sampson, Crean have all ised this method.

2 hours ago, The Daily Hoosier said:

If that's the case then just hire someone. A big recruiting week starting Thursday. Name your guy and get him out there.

Welp, it's the the first day of the evaluation period and no news. Seems a bit disturbing as you'd want a full staff out there creating as many relationships as possible. Am I over-reacting? 

Or maybe as @Seeking6 suggested - we have our guy and he's out there, but he's just not constrained by the rules yet. 

I personally don't like either scenario. 

3 hours ago, tdhoosier said:

Welp, it's the the first day of the evaluation period and no news. Seems a bit disturbing as you'd want a full staff out there creating as many relationships as possible. Am I over-reacting? 

Or maybe as @Seeking6 suggested - we have our guy and he's out there, but he's just not constrained by the rules yet. 

I personally don't like either scenario. 

Wasn't there a post elsewhere on this board about CAM being at the Peach Jam event?

Guys we are on the 2020 kids and have been for a couple of years now. No new assistant is going to help much when kids are going to be committing in a couple of weeks. There is plenty of time for a new guy to get to work on the 2021 class. I'm more concerned as to what the guy can bring to practice.

I think the reason we have not heard anything is that whoever we want has told Archie he wants to finish recruiting for his current employer.  I think since summer ball  is over I think we will probably here something in the next week or to but that is just my opinion. It also could be Delaney who has been a AAU coach who wanted to finish out his summer before taking the job.

Just now, tdhoosier said:

On assembly call last night they mentioned a rumor about an assistant Archie is going after but wouldn’t say who on the air. 

Any ‘insiders’ hearing anything that they’d like to share with me in a PM?

Did they give a hint as to the coach’s background?  Is he one of the following,   AAU connected, Indiana high school coach, ex IU player, grizzled experienced college coach, up and coming young college coach, etc?

13 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Did they give a hint as to the coach’s background?  Is he one of the following,   AAU connected, Indiana high school coach, ex IU player, grizzled experienced college coach, up and coming young college coach, etc?

We speculated last month in this thread that hiring a guy right away would make him subject to the NCAA recruiting rules. Might make sense to have a guy out there doing his thing but not limited to contact/NCAA rules. The longer this goes on the more I think that's what is happening....and I applaud Archie for the move.

13 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Not at all. Just ‘rumors of a target’

Tonsoni (sp?) said he’s not concerned about the timing and they are being patient to get the right guy - ‘not just a guy who they’d rush in to recruit for two weeks’. 

It leads me to believe they are looking for a guy with balance. Not just a guy with relationships, which may rule out a few of the candidates we’ve been guessing about. 

1 hour ago, tdhoosier said:

On assembly call last night they mentioned a rumor about an assistant Archie is going after but wouldn’t say who on the air. 

Any ‘insiders’ hearing anything that they’d like to share with me in a PM?

Another site is implying it is Cheaney.

51 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

Not at all. Just ‘rumors of a target’

Tonsoni (sp?) said he’s not concerned about the timing and they are being patient to get the right guy - ‘not just a guy who they’d rush in to recruit for two weeks’. 

It leads me to believe they are looking for a guy with balance. Not just a guy with relationships, which may rule out a few of the candidates we’ve been guessing about. 

they also said it could be a guy who is working at another school and wants to wait until the summer recruiting period is over.

I’m actually really happy to hear that rumor. Pat Graham said something about Calbert on his Hoosier Hysterics interview last week that really stuck with me. 

Pat was talking that as a freshman the motion offense was really hard to pick up. He said something like you had to learn ‘A’ to move on to ‘B’. And going from A to B would take a week. He said that Calbert was on M, N and O on the first day of practice - trying to explain how smart the guy is. I’d love to have him on the bench. 

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

That would be alright but would recruits really know who he is and would he help recruiting.

I bet Khristian Lander knows people in Evansville who know whoCalbert is.

Are you suggesting we hire someone 25 years old just because he may have more name recognition?

Archived