Assistant Coach Vacancy

• Replies 578
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, RJPaisley said:

Yep, Clapton wrote the song "You look wonderful tonight" about her. Must have been a special lady in her day.

She was the impetus for Harrison writing "Something" and Clapton writing the aforementioned "Layla" too...Special indeed.

35 minutes ago, Zeisloft and Roth said:

Anybody want to guess at what is going on with the vacancy? Makes me think Schilling left because he wanted to (why?) as Archie clearly didn't have a plan in place for this departure.

I think CoachSS confirmed that Archie gave him the boot.  Why?  I don't think that's been made public.

On 7/31/2019 at 5:29 PM, Zeisloft and Roth said:

Anybody want to guess at what is going on with the vacancy? Makes me think Schilling left because he wanted to (why?) as Archie clearly didn't have a plan in place for this departure.

I'm guessing they have somebody that isn't going to be formally announced until the official start of the school year or basketball season for contractual reasons.

On 7/31/2019 at 5:29 PM, Zeisloft and Roth said:

If he left b/c he wanted to, you would think he had a job lined up then.  I don't think he has landed anywhere yet

According to the "insider" from the another board previously mentioned, 

"I would say by the end of this week or weekend. I think Calbert interviewed for the job but I do not think he will get the job. I think it will be a very good hire, someone with a lot of experience who the fans will be happy with." 

1 hour ago, Cutter said:

Any scuttlebut on this subject that is new in the last few days 

Appeared like the staff was on vacation last week. No coaches around. The 2 assistants back today. Archie still not back. I was told by someone inside the program on Friday that No hire has been made. 

25 minutes ago, OGIUAndy said:

According to the "insider" from the another board previously mentioned, 

"I would say by the end of this week or weekend. I think Calbert interviewed for the job but I do not think he will get the job. I think it will be a very good hire, someone with a lot of experience who the fans will be happy with." 

11 minutes ago, Indykev said:

Appeared like the staff was on vacation last week. No coaches around. The 2 assistants back today. Archie still not back. I was told by someone inside the program on Friday that No hire has been made. 

Thank you I appreciate the responses

15 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Hey Cutter.  After doing some checking. I have been told to keep an eye on two . Patrick Holmes and Derek Elston.  Nothing set in stone as of this moment. 

Wow. Haha.....Patrick Holmes would be interesting to say the least. I like Elston and all but to me this position has to be 100% recruiter. Not sure if DE has that pull. 

1 minute ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Honestly, can't a program like Indiana do better? Not sure either of those names help much with player development, national recruiting, or X's and O's. Didn't Mark Galloway out coach Holmes this past year? Yeesh.

Not sure I can answer your question.  Schilling seemed like a home run when he was hired. Yet. Failed to the best of my knowledge to bring in a recruit. 

Again. The two names given to me are not set in stone. 

35 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Hey Cutter.  After doing some checking. I have been told to keep an eye on two . Patrick Holmes and Derek Elston.  Nothing set in stone as of this moment. 

Thanks mile. Was hoping for Cheney but doesn’t really matter

2 minutes ago, Cutter said:

Thanks mile. Was hoping for Cheney but doesn’t really matter

I am on board with you on Calbert.  Not sure.  But I am thinking things soured for what ever reason,  before he left for St. Louis.  It would be a shame if that is true.

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

Wow. Haha.....Patrick Holmes would be interesting to say the least. I like Elston and all but to me this position has to be 100% recruiter. Not sure if DE has that pull. 

Now I’m no expert but the many interviews I’ve been listening to on this subject really downplay recruiting as the main criteria for hiring an assistant. The experts have said that anybody considered for a major D1 assistant will already be a good recruiter. It’s like saying you proficient in Microsoft Excel in your job interview - it’s expected. 

I’m not saying some assistants are better than others at recruiting, but from what these people have been saying on Podcast on the Brink, Hoosier Hysterics, Assembly Call etc is that Archie should hire an assistant who’s well-rounded. If he’s only looking at one thing he’ll make a bad decision - make sure that the assistant can relate to players, has good player development, is good at analyzing game tape and preparing a game plan. And yes recruit, but I’m not sure why that she be any more or less important than the above listed. 

Hearing a lot of names but Elston is the only one I am hearing from everyone as the leader. A few saying Tonagel from IWU.

The least likely that I have heard is Damon Bailey.  As many have i have heard just about every name possible. One of the people that usually has solid Intel says Elston and a former D1 head coach are the most likely. They have not gotten the name of the former head coach though. Anyone out there able to add to this? Thanks

5 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

Now I’m no expert but the many interviews I’ve been listening to on this subject really downplay recruiting as the main criteria for hiring an assistant. The experts have said that anybody considered for a major D1 assistant will already be a good recruiter. It’s like saying you proficient in Microsoft Excel in your job interview - it’s expected. 

I’m not saying some assistants are better than others at recruiting, but from what these people have been saying on Podcast on the Brink, Hoosier Hysterics, Assembly Call etc is that Archie should hire an assistant who’s well-rounded. If he’s only looking at one thing he’ll make a bad decision - make sure that the assistant can relate to players, has good player development, is good at analyzing game tape and preparing a game plan. And yes recruit, but I’m not sure why that she be any more or less important than the above listed. 

Just my 2 cents. Disagree. Every staff at the major/elite level has one guy who is just there to recruit. Look at what USC did today with Mobley. Hired his Dad....and will have multiple 5 star guys coming now. Even Beilein who is beloved tried to hire a guy just to get one player. Penny is doing it. We know Cal has done it. Several other examples of it as well. I'm just of the opinion if this position is the last one on the pole....get the guy who can deliver players. Archie already did that with Ed. He went 1-2. My guess is Archie is looking for a better percentage.

9 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Just my 2 cents. Disagree. Every staff at the major/elite level has one guy who is just there to recruit. Look at what USC did today with Mobley. Hired his Dad....and will have multiple 5 star guys coming now. Even Beilein who is beloved tried to hire a guy just to get one player. Penny is doing it. We know Cal has done it. Several other examples of it as well. I'm just of the opinion if this position is the last one on the pole....get the guy who can deliver players. Archie already did that with Ed. He went 1-2. My guess is Archie is looking for a better percentage.

This is an interesting interview with Jordan Sperber. I thought would be a good time to share. They really don’t go out into the job opening until the end for a short while and parroted what he said above.  But a great interview from an coaching/ Xs & Os perspective. Good talk about pack line too. 

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/podcast-on-the-brink/id479879119?i=1000445781169

30 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Hearing a lot of names but Elston is the only one I am hearing from everyone as the leader. A few saying Tonagel from IWU.

The least likely that I have heard is Damon Bailey.  As many have i have heard just about every name possible. One of the people that usually has solid Intel says Elston and a former D1 head coach are the most likely. They have not gotten the name of the former head coach though. Anyone out there able to add to this? Thanks

Tonagel is the guy I wanted from the beginning.  I know Elston has been with us for awhile but is he ready for a full time assistant job.

31 minutes ago, CoachSS said:

Maybe the end of next week or the one after. 

I believe Indiana's head coach is currently on vacation. And there really isn't anything to be doing at current writing since it's a dead period, half of the team isn't in town anyway, the list goes on and on. 

Without asking you to divulge much or anything. Would you say this position needs to be recruiter or hybrid?

Archived