Assistant Coach Vacancy

2 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

Hearing a lot of names but Elston is the only one I am hearing from everyone as the leader. A few saying Tonagel from IWU.

The least likely that I have heard is Damon Bailey.  As many have i have heard just about every name possible. One of the people that usually has solid Intel says Elston and a former D1 head coach are the most likely. They have not gotten the name of the former head coach though. Anyone out there able to add to this? Thanks

Of all the names I've heard mentioned I think Elston would be the worst hire by far.  Tonagel would be great.

• Replies 578
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, milehiiu said:

I am on board with you on Calbert.  Not sure.  But I am thinking things soured for what ever reason,  before he left for St. Louis.  It would be a shame if that is true.

I really hope IU didn't somehow burn a bridge with Calbert and basically ruin their chances of ever getting him back on the staff. Plus he left while CTC was still there, so hopefully he doesn't have any issues with CAM.

If he actually interviewed/applied, then you got to think we're still good with him.

58 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

Of all the names I've heard mentioned I think Elston would be the worst hire by far.  Tonagel would be great.

I think I have to agree with you on the Elston point. He's not proven anything, and I don't see how he would provide a boost with recruiting.

I'm intrigued by Tonagel, but wouldn't he be more of a X's and O's guy than a recruiter?

57 minutes ago, Indykev said:

Elston is the team baby sitter. I would not understand that hire if true.

I'd hire Pat Knight before Elston and I'm serious.  If Derek is serious about getting into coaching he needs to take an assistant job at a mid major and then prove himself.

I have no evidence pro or con beyond Elston's playing days at IU so I'm not even going to hazard a guess about his readiness to step into an assistant position at any level.  All I can say for certain is that given his relative short tenure at IU, Elston would be a surprise from an outsider point of view, but that says nothing about his performance during that tenure.

7 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

I have no evidence pro or con beyond Elston's playing days at IU so I'm not even going to hazard a guess about his readiness to step into an assistant position at any level.  All I can say for certain is that given his relative short tenure at IU, Elston would be a surprise from an outsider point of view, but that says nothing about his performance during that tenure.

Nothing against Elston because I actually like the guy and want him to move up. But an IU caliber team can’t be that first step. No way. 

15 hours ago, milehiiu said:

I am on board with you on Calbert.  Not sure.  But I am thinking things soured for what ever reason,  before he left for St. Louis.  It would be a shame if that is true.

Maybe Calbert isn't interested in coming back to College Coaching anytime soon? Maybe it was a courtesy interview on his part to allow Archie to get to know him better and get his input on things?

I don't have inside info. Just spitballin'.

I like Elston in many ways.  Listening to the podcast with him, he is learning.  I’m impressed with how he takes notes and is learning.  But I agree he needs to earn his stripes before getting an IU level job. Maybe he could try coming up at Ball State or Indiana State, learn, develop, and prove himself before moving up to IU.  

I am not buying the Elston is not ready argument.

The great Coach K.  You know who.  Long time, and current HC of Duke University. Guy, I think has won a few national championships.

Played for "The General".  But came out of the Army as a captain. Sat on Knight's bench as a graduate assistant. And then eventually, moved on to Duke as a HC.  Tell me Elston is not more qualified than Coach K was, when he went onto Army, and then Duke.

14 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

I am not buying the Elston is not ready argument.

The great Coach K.  You know who.  Long time, and current HC of Duke University. Guy, I think has won a few national championships.

Played for "The General".  But came out of the Army as a captain. Sat on Knight's bench as a graduate assistant. And then eventually, moved on to Duke as a HC.  Tell me Elston is not more qualified than Coach K was, when he went onto Army, and then Duke.

So we are Army in this example?  That’s depressing 

10 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

So we are Army in this example?  That’s depressing 

Nope. Flip it around.  We are Coach K. Knight saw something in him, others failed to see. Knight saw the potential, having coached K.  Duke took a chance on Coach K. Coming out of Army.  And was rewarded with multiple national championships.  All I am saying. IS. Elston, actually has more college coaching background than Coach K had when he came out of the Army as a captain.

Love how you challenge me, BC. 

15 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Nope. Flip it around.  We are Coach K. Knight saw something in him, others failed to see. Knight saw the potential, having coached K.  Duke took a chance on Coach K. Coming out of Army.  And was rewarded with multiple national championships.  All I am saying. IS. Elston, actually has more college coaching background than Coach K had when he came out of the Army as a captain.

Love how you challenge me, BC. 

K proved he had something at Army before Duke took a chance on him. Has Elston actually proved that?

10 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

K proved he had something at Army before Duke took a chance on him. Has Elston actually proved that?

Agreed K got a foot in the door at Army.  I am for giving Elston a foot in the door as well.  Have watched him on the sidelines for years.  Think time is now. To pay off for his loyalty.  Can we not agree. That over this time. He has not learned ?  I think so.  And I think his time is now. If not at IU. Perhaps somewhere else.  But like Calbert, and a couple of others. I hope we don't grow to regret it.  Dan Dakich. Being the exception.

Keep challenging me BC. I love it. And this is not a put down on you. I think you are a great IU fan. 

5 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Agreed K got a foot in the door at Army.  I am for giving Elston a foot in the door as well.  Have watched him on the sidelines for years.  Think time is now. To pay off for his loyalty.  Can we not agree. That over this time. He has not learned ?  I think so.  And I think his time is now. If not at IU. Perhaps somewhere else.  But like Calbert, and a couple of others. I hope we don't grow to regret it.  Dan Dakich. Being the exception.

Keep challenging me BC. I love it. And this is not a put down on you. I think you are a great IU fan. 

Normally I would agree to give Elston a chance but I think we need somebody with connections in prep schools at the moment. Maybe if Flint moves in in a year or two then we can give Elston a shot. 

7 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Normally I would agree to give Elston a chance but I think we need somebody with connections in prep schools at the moment. Maybe if Flint moves in in a year or two then we can give Elston a shot. 

So. Are you saying Elston has not been in contact with Indiana schools during his tenure at IU ?  I honestly don't know if that is the case. However, being so connected to the program, I would hazard a guess that he is well aware of what is going on in Indiana. Especially, since Archie's inside out proclamation. 

14 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

So. Are you saying Elston has not been in contact with Indiana schools during his tenure at IU ?  I honestly don't know if that is the case. However, being so connected to the program, I would hazard a guess that he is well aware of what is going on in Indiana. Especially, since Archie's inside out proclamation. 

I think we have the inside part pretty well handled. I think we need somebody national connections 

7 minutes ago, Zuckerkorn said:

I realize we all have feelings about what traits or background the new assistant should have, but isn't the most important (only?) thing that they are capable and mesh well with Archie and the other members of the program?

That and deliver in state 5 stars annually. Otherwise I'm cool with whatever else happens. Haha

On 8/6/2019 at 7:13 AM, IUaic said:

Maybe Calbert isn't interested in coming back to College Coaching anytime soon? Maybe it was a courtesy interview on his part to allow Archie to get to know him better and get his input on things?

I don't have inside info. Just spitballin'.

Calbert was the #1 choice for the UE head coaching position. He answered 2 questions incorrectly according to my source. First, he didn't agree to improve/upgrade the nonconference schedule. The surprise answer was his reluctance to the community outreach UE required. It was felt he sabotaged his chances for getting the job.

Calbert seemed to get along very well with our players.  Nearly every player would come to Calbert during warm ups to talk and fist bump him at the end of the talk.  I have no idea how he is with X's and O's, but the players would love him.

I'm going to echo my early July thoughts. I think we've had a candidate identified but no real reason to hire right away. Doing it this way allows this candidate to be free of NCAA regulations,etc....until hiring is official. I applaud the strategy. If that's what has happened.

Archived