Assistant Coach Vacancy

8 hours ago, IU Bud said:

Calbert was the #1 choice for the UE head coaching position. He answered 2 questions incorrectly according to my source. First, he didn't agree to improve/upgrade the nonconference schedule. The surprise answer was his reluctance to the community outreach UE required. It was felt he sabotaged his chances for getting the job.

Calbert seemed to get along very well with our players.  Nearly every player would come to Calbert during warm ups to talk and fist bump him at the end of the talk.  I have no idea how he is with X's and O's, but the players would love him.

Thanks for that info and welcome to the board!

• Replies 578
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, IU Bud said:

Calbert was the #1 choice for the UE head coaching position. He answered 2 questions incorrectly according to my source. First, he didn't agree to improve/upgrade the nonconference schedule. The surprise answer was his reluctance to the community outreach UE required. It was felt he sabotaged his chances for getting the job.

Calbert seemed to get along very well with our players.  Nearly every player would come to Calbert during warm ups to talk and fist bump him at the end of the talk.  I have no idea how he is with X's and O's, but the players would love him.

So he interviewed for the job, then purposely sabotaged the interview by saying he wouldn't play a tougher schedule and wouldn't do community outreach in his hometown? This sounds pretty out of character for him. 

6 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

I'm going to echo my early July thoughts. I think we've had a candidate identified but no real reason to hire right away. Doing it this way allows this candidate to be free of NCAA regulations,etc....until hiring is official. I applaud the strategy. If that's what has happened.

This pleases The Donger.

6 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

I'm going to echo my early July thoughts. I think we've had a candidate identified but no real reason to hire right away. Doing it this way allows this candidate to be free of NCAA regulations,etc....until hiring is official. I applaud the strategy. If that's what has happened.

This just reeks of conspiracy theory.

I wish we would just hire someone and get it over with.  I've been answering calls from numbers I don't recognize in hopes it's Archie calling to offer me the job.  No such luck, but my carpets are now clean and I found out about a wonderful new charity in Nigeria.

1 hour ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I think the hint from another board is that it is a current D-I assistant, not an AAU coach.

Very well could be. I don’t think  a coach at another school would be delaying coming though. Which was why I thought maybe an AAU coach. Either way, I’m not sure why you wouldn’t get the new coach in as the start of the year is closing in. 

Just now, Feathery said:

Very well could be. I don’t think  a coach at another school would be delaying coming though. Which was why I thought maybe an AAU coach. Either way, I’m not sure why you wouldn’t get the new coach in as the start of the year is closing in. 

I thought all of the summer circuits are done for the year so why the wait?

2 hours ago, Feathery said:

For what it’s worth, I don’t think the hiring process is over yet. The only real reason to wait if it’s another D-I assistant is because there are multiple candidates still in the running. 

10 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

If you're not hired, you can talk to recruits during a dead period.

Bingo. But this is only bingo if my early July theory is right. Have an agreement but wait to hire so this coach isn't restricted by NCAA rules until after the dead period,etc...to me it's a very good move. If in fact that's what is going on. I could be dead wrong. 

17 hours ago, 5fouls said:

I wish we would just hire someone and get it over with.  I've been answering calls from numbers I don't recognize in hopes it's Archie calling to offer me the job.  No such luck, but my carpets are now clean and I found out about a wonderful new charity in Nigeria.

You lie! You are dodging matrimony payments to 8 or 9 ex's. No way you answer calls from unrecognized numbers.

Here's my theory for sake of discussion.  

The reason that there is no hurry, is just maybe this hire could be connected to a pipeline or certain recruit/recruits.  Just waiting to see what develops in player interest and needs.  That and 3rd assistant coach just isn't important enough just to fill it to fill.  Find a guy that brings rare value.  This takes time.  Just my theory.  Could very well be way off.  

My thought process is changing. I keep on listening to those interviews w/ past Knight players on Hoosier Hysterics and am reminded how coaching and game planning outweigh talent. All of them in some form of another said Knight built his teams like getting parts for a car - and that one special person to drive the car (Isaiah, Cheaney, Guyton, etc.). It appears to me so far that CAM is taking a somewhat similar approach. The way CAM seems to be structuring his recruiting classes is prioritizing solid instate kids with special skill sets and then going after a homerun. It's panned out so far - we appear to be doing well on that front.

Caveat 1: I know CAM is not Bobby Knight and Caveat 2: I'm not saying (major) talent isn't important, but if you have a really good/smart coach and staff it's less crucial.

That said, I really hope we aren't hiring a coach to just bring in a recruit or two. I'm hoping he's going after an assistant with a knack for player development and game preparation so we can build that solid foundation that's ready for a special player to step into. 

I know some may disagree with me and say that this assistant needs to be a recruiting God and I respect that. And I'd agree if our coach were somebody different. (like Crean, who needed talent to succeed). But based on CAM's actions thus far - I just don't see him going that way. I see him as a 'system' coach and is looking for guys (players and coaches) to buy into and build his vision. 

18 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

My thought process is changing. I keep on listening to those interviews w/ past Knight players on Hoosier Hysterics and am reminded how coaching and game planning outweigh talent. All of them in some form of another said Knight built his teams like getting parts for a car - and that one special person to drive the car (Isaiha, Cheaney, Guyton, etc.). It appears to me so far that CAM is taking a somewhat similar approach. The way CAM seems to be structuring his recruiting classes is prioritizing solid instate kids with special skill sets and then going after a homerun. It's panned out so far - we appear to be doing well on that front.

Caveat 1: I know CAM is not Bobby Knight and Caveat 2: I'm not saying (major) talent isn't important, but if you have a really good/smart coach and staff it's less crucial.

That said, I really hope we aren't hiring a coach to just bring in a recruit or two. I'm hoping he's going after an assistant with a knack for player development and game preparation so we can build that solid foundation that's ready for a special player to step into. 

I know some may disagree with me and say that this assistant needs to be a recruiting God and I respect that. And I'd agree if our coach were somebody different. (like Crean, who needed talent to succeed). But based on CAM's actions thus far - I just don't see him going that way. I see him as a 'system' coach and is looking for guys (players and coaches) to buy into and build his vision. 

I am not going to hire a guy who will just lead us to one recruit this year because you need this hire to be for the long term.

1 hour ago, tdhoosier said:

My thought process is changing. I keep on listening to those interviews w/ past Knight players on Hoosier Hysterics and am reminded how coaching and game planning outweigh talent. All of them in some form of another said Knight built his teams like getting parts for a car - and that one special person to drive the car (Isaiah, Cheaney, Guyton, etc.). It appears to me so far that CAM is taking a somewhat similar approach. The way CAM seems to be structuring his recruiting classes is prioritizing solid instate kids with special skill sets and then going after a homerun. It's panned out so far - we appear to be doing well on that front.

Thought provoking post there...kudos...

My question would be, which part of the system? Seems like every assistant has a label...offense, defense, recruiting...

My own take would be offense...I saw plenty of improvement on the defensive side of the ball last year, but I think CAM does need to work on the offensive scheme.

2 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Thought provoking post there...kudos...

My question would be, which part of the system? Seems like every assistant has a label...offense, defense, recruiting...

My own take would be offense...I saw plenty of improvement on the defensive side of the ball last year, but I think CAM does need to work on the offensive scheme.

I guess, just somebody who is an all-arounder. If I had to choose - I'd want more of an offensive minded coach though. But before all that I want somebody who's really good at player development - specifically shooting. If we continue this recruiting method (and minimal transfers) we will need our players to improve and be ready to contribute major minutes as juniors. 

CAM is defense first and we are improving in that aspect. Although our weakness was offense last year, despite the lazy screens and occasional standing around, to my untrained eye the schemes didn't look bad. We got a LOT of open shots last year - we just couldn't make them. Hence, player development and shooting. 

Archived