Assistant Coach Vacancy

2 hours ago, tdhoosier said:

My thought process is changing. I keep on listening to those interviews w/ past Knight players on Hoosier Hysterics and am reminded how coaching and game planning outweigh talent. All of them in some form of another said Knight built his teams like getting parts for a car - and that one special person to drive the car (Isaiah, Cheaney, Guyton, etc.). It appears to me so far that CAM is taking a somewhat similar approach. The way CAM seems to be structuring his recruiting classes is prioritizing solid instate kids with special skill sets and then going after a homerun. It's panned out so far - we appear to be doing well on that front.

Caveat 1: I know CAM is not Bobby Knight and Caveat 2: I'm not saying (major) talent isn't important, but if you have a really good/smart coach and staff it's less crucial.

That said, I really hope we aren't hiring a coach to just bring in a recruit or two. I'm hoping he's going after an assistant with a knack for player development and game preparation so we can build that solid foundation that's ready for a special player to step into. 

I know some may disagree with me and say that this assistant needs to be a recruiting God and I respect that. And I'd agree if our coach were somebody different. (like Crean, who needed talent to succeed). But based on CAM's actions thus far - I just don't see him going that way. I see him as a 'system' coach and is looking for guys (players and coaches) to buy into and build his vision. 

I think you've brought up a great point and one people don't seem to talk about much, but these coaches aren't just recruiters, they need to be able to scout future opponents, create gameplans, implement those plans, develop players, etc. 

The assistants split up the schedule and each one is responsible for the main scouting and game plan prep of a portion of the schedule, and you need to know what they're doing there. I'd rather have an assistant that's great at that part. 

• Replies 578
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I think you've brought up a great point and one people don't seem to talk about much, but these coaches aren't just recruiters, they need to be able to scout future opponents, create gameplans, implement those plans, develop players, etc. 

The assistants split up the schedule and each one is responsible for the main scouting and game plan prep of a portion of the schedule, and you need to know what they're doing there. I'd rather have an assistant that's great at that part. 

Which assistant had Nebraska and Michigan last year?!? haha. Maybe that's why Schilling is gone. 🤫

1 minute ago, tdhoosier said:

Which assistant had Nebraska and Michigan last year?!? haha. Maybe that's why Schilling is gone. 🤫

Could be, you never know. I remember when Kenny Johnson left and some thought the sky was falling, it came out that while being a good recruiter (though he now know how he did that) he was pretty weak on the X's and O's and game-planning side. 

We can beat most teams on Indiana HS talent alone if we game plan and execute correctly. So I do root for an x/o type coach. That said you need that assistant that can relate and get to these kids. Head coach doesn’t have time to work with each and every kid..especially during a game. A great assistant can reel the kid back in and focus him for the coach. A well respected player oriented assistant should appeal to recruits. You got guys that when the head coach rips a player that can then walk over and build the kids confidence back up. Part of me wants a super recruiter that is tied into a basketball rich area and can pull kids out but something tells me kids these days look at system, fit, head coach relationship, and playing time to get to pros. They may like a guy but if he isn’t getting them immediate playing time and into the pros playing a brand of ball that the kid likes it won’t matter how well you relate or know the assistant coach. So I go xo and talent development.

Good points, all.  I think the parts of the car thing is so appropriate.  This has been one of my issues for the past decade.  We were not building teams consistently to have the complementary pieces you want.  That's how we ended up with some awful seasons.  It's not the five best athletes.  It's how the parts go together.

3 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Good points, all.  I think the parts of the car thing is so appropriate.  This has been one of my issues for the past decade.  We were not building teams consistently to have the complementary pieces you want.  That's how we ended up with some awful seasons.  It's not the five best athletes.  It's how the parts go together.

Seems like there was a scene in the movie Hoosiers that referred to exactly what you are saying

For example, when Brunk was in high school, I was adamant that he was an "Indiana player" and that we should be all-in on him.  

You look at some of the shooters who came through, like the McDermott kid from Butler, Jaelen Sanford from Evansville area, and others, we could have used a couple of dead eye shooters. 

Bryant McIntosh.  The kid who went to TCU who can fill it up.  You could go on and on.

These would be the types of complementary pieces I wanted and I hope we are getting back to that way of thinking.

On 8/13/2019 at 7:54 AM, Seeking6 said:

I'm going to echo my early July thoughts. I think we've had a candidate identified but no real reason to hire right away. Doing it this way allows this candidate to be free of NCAA regulations,etc....until hiring is official. I applaud the strategy. If that's what has happened.

I just don't see this.  Who is going to A) Work for free, and B) Work without some kind of written promise to hire?  Because if either of those exist, I'm sure it would be an NCAA violation.  Besides if someone were dumb enough to work for free and without a contract, they probably aren't smart enough to be an assistant, and they have a history of bad decisions.

38 minutes ago, Muddy River said:

I just don't see this.  Who is going to A) Work for free, and B) Work without some kind of written promise to hire?  Because if either of those exist, I'm sure it would be an NCAA violation.  Besides if someone were dumb enough to work for free and without a contract, they probably aren't smart enough to be an assistant, and they have a history of bad decisions.

If I were finacially set, I could absolutely see myself as a volunteer assistant at IU.  That would be kind of a bucket list item. 

7 hours ago, NotIThatLives said:

Do you think Fred would approve with his witch hunt enforcement team?  

Nope. But I think Fred owes Archie after asking/strongly suggesting he keep a few guys around the first year or two for the sake of APR numbers. Just my two cents but I think Archie knows it's time to go....and more importantly Fred does too.

2 hours ago, Muddy River said:

You do understand that Urban Meyer basically did what I outlined for his time between Florida and Ohio St. This practice has been going on for years. Trust me...nothing I'm saying or suggesting is earth shattering. 

To answer your question about compensation. Plenty of people work "for free" as you call it...with intentions it might lead to a bigger payday down the road. Again. Nothing earth shattering. 

I hope we do not hire the assistant for a while. This has been a great thread. If we hire an assistant, what else are we gonna discuss until Hoosier Hysteria.

I think Archie is holding off on the announcement to benefit basketball forum activity in the off season.

Such a nice guy, thanks Arch!

3 hours ago, bluegrassIU said:

what else are we gonna discuss until Hoosier Hysteria.

What kind of beer from upland do you think they will serve in AH.  Will they stick with wheat then maybe a darker beer like a amber or porter?  Will they have a wider selection like champagne believer for the ladies?  Will seasonal beer be in play like Octoberfest?  Could football games and basketball games see different offerings because of said seasons?  I could spend days on this topic

8 hours ago, iuthruandthru said:

What kind of beer from upland do you think they will serve in AH.  Will they stick with wheat then maybe a darker beer like a amber or porter?  Will they have a wider selection like champagne believer for the ladies?  Will seasonal beer be in play like Octoberfest?  Could football games and basketball games see different offerings because of said seasons?  I could spend days on this topic

Campside please!

9 hours ago, iuthruandthru said:

I heard kegs aren't allowed in Assembly Hall so like the frats they are going to haul in truck loads of canned Natty Light. 

33 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

I heard kegs aren't allowed in Assembly Hall so like the frats they are going to haul in truck loads of canned Natty Light. 

Banning kegs from the frats was one of the dumbest things the administration ever did.  We just bought three dozen half-gallon handles of vodka every night instead...

3 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Banning kegs from the frats was one of the dumbest things the administration ever did.  We just bought three dozen half-gallon handles of vodka every night instead...

And because you didn't want too many cups around (in case the Dean stopped by) we had to take our Margaritas upside down. The humanity!

tumblr_owist2SAhN1swms2fo2_400.gif

7 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

You sir are correct.  Went from drinking 4.8% beer to everclear fruit punch that was probably pushing 20%.  Or handles of beam night.

Archived