Assistant Coach Vacancy

1 minute ago, Seeking6 said:

So now goalposts have been shifted from citing Mike Davis as saying Mike Roberts was The Boss....to now saying he's a darn good coach in the last 10 years.. Can't keep up guys. 

Same here. You’re delusional if you think Fife is coming to IU to be the 3rd assistant coach. 

• Replies 578
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

So now goalposts have been shifted from citing Mike Davis as saying Mike Roberts was The Boss....to now saying he's a darn good coach in the last 10 years.. Can't keep up guys. 

Other than Fife, who would not take the job if offered, who has the pizazz you are looking for?

Just now, OGIUAndy said:

Same here. You’re delusional if you think Fife is coming to IU to be the 3rd assistant coach. 

I said why all of a sudden is Mike Roberts supposed to be some lightning rod from past to present? I said if we were going to go down that path why not go after Fife. Far more experience, recruiting ability....coaching presence,etc.....

You saying I'm delusional? It's like the narcissist who feigns shock when something he/she says causes an outburst. I'll tap out on this gang. 

2 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

I said why all of a sudden is Mike Roberts supposed to be some lightning rod from past to present? I said if we were going to go down that path why not go after Fife. Far more experience, recruiting ability....coaching presence,etc.....

You saying I'm delusional? It's like the narcissist who feigns shock when something he/she says causes an outburst. I'll tap out on this gang. 

Perhaps we sounded out Fife.  I don't know.  But why would Fife be coming at this point.  He's Associate Head Coach at MSU (another coach is also Associate Head Coach).  If he came here, he would not likely be an Associate Head Coach.  Perhaps CAM would make Olson and Fife co-Associate head coach, but not sole associate HC and demote Olson.  Why make at best a lateral mover to an inferior program?

Roberts links to the past, which many/most on here wanted to see.

Roberts was not a star player. Name the stars who became great coaches. Guys like Roberts, the guys who had to work at it to see any playing time, are the kind of guys who excel at coaching.

Can’t remember the recruit, but there was one kid who described each of the coaches pursuing him, in one word. He called CAM, “passionate “. I could see Roberts being an extension of that passion. Every great sales person believes whole heartedly in their product. I could see Roberts being that guy.

Agree with 6 that until a few hours ago I probably hadn’t thought of Mike Roberts in ages. Doesn’t mean that he shouldn’t be considered as a viable candidate.

I have no idea who fills the spot but would be happy if Mike Roberts was that guy.

35 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Here is what I think you aren’t realizing. IU has their top assistant and lead recruiter in place. That is Ostrom and he’s pretty good at it. Mike Roberts comes from a lower tier program that has been fairly successful. I’m guessing he is being brought in to sell IU, help with x’s and o’s, and develop players which is something that most fans have been complaining about the past two years.

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

Yep. I'm sure to a very few and select few. Some kids don't buy it. Unless IU is trying to use the Painter model....I'd suggest 3rd assistant on the bench have a little more juice.

At this point, it appears that the Painter model is the goal the program is working toward.  Might not necessarily be a bad thing, I guess.

I’ve read multiple times people referencing that IU seems to be using the “Painter model”.  What if that model works better for IU than it actually does for Purdue. I guess I believe that if IU could begin to win more consistently the way Purdue has been able to, will actually allow IU to recruit the states best players better than Purdue ever could therefore have better results.  

2 hours ago, DC2345 said:

Here is what I think you aren’t realizing. IU has their top assistant and lead recruiter in place. That is Ostrom and he’s pretty good at it. Mike Roberts comes from a lower tier program that has been fairly successful. I’m guessing he is being brought in to sell IU, help with x’s and o’s, and develop players which is something that most fans have been complaining about the past two years.

Thanks. Not realizing a thing here. If Ed couldn't sell it....why would Mike Roberts who is tenth man on a team?

1 hour ago, FW_Hoosier said:

At this point, it appears that the Painter model is the goal the program is working toward.  Might not necessarily be a bad thing, I guess.

Yep. Because in years 7-10 he went no tourney for 2 years and bounced in first round 2 years. Nowhere besides Illinois would that be allowed.

5 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Thanks. Not realizing a thing here. If Ed couldn't sell it....why would Mike Roberts who is tenth man on a team?

How much work was Ed putting in?? Can you answer that? What I do know is that Ed didn’t land any recruits. The recruits that he started recruiting got switched to Ostrom and we made up ground. That’s what I’ve heard from multiple places. 

8 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Yep. Because in years 7-10 he went no tourney for 2 years and bounced in first round 2 years. Nowhere besides Illinois would that be allowed.

Who knows if he would’ve stayed if our current AD had been there at the time. Burke was a pushover. 

Since when is getting bounced in the first round such a big deal? Happens to a lot of good coaches. Pretty obvious those years were outliers. 

10 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Who knows if he would’ve stayed if our current AD had been there at the time. Burke was a pushover. 

Since when is getting bounced in the first round such a big deal? Happens to a lot of good coaches. Pretty obvious those years were outliers. 

4 years of suck? I'd like for you to list 5 coaches in the country (P5) who have been on the gig for 7 years and did the same and kept their job. Short of Northwestern and Penn St.....I can't name any. I'll ask for your input though. Name the coaches please. Thanks!!

18 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

How much work was Ed putting in?? Can you answer that? What I do know is that Ed didn’t land any recruits. The recruits that he started recruiting got switched to Ostrom and we made up ground. That’s what I’ve heard from multiple places. 

Ed got Romeo. Romeo got TJD. TJD got Franklin, Leal, Galloway....Ed is one of the most revered guys in Indiana. Only reason Romeo even considered us. Can't help folks if they don't see that.

Archived