Assistant Coach Vacancy

• Replies 578
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Ed got Romeo. Romeo got TJD. TJD got Franklin, Leal, Galloway....Ed is one of the most revered guys in Indiana. Only reason Romeo even considered us. Can't help folks if they don't see that.

How did Ed get Romeo? Ostrom and Archie were the leads there. Ed pulled in zero recruits in his time at IU. 

Roberts would be an excellent hire.  He has been around good teams, good coaches.  Is a coaches son, and former IU team captain.  Beyond learning from those before him, including Knight, he has been around Braun a coach known for development.

Speeking about Braun there is the New Trier HS connection with him and Comer. 

Roberts was highly regarded and has worked his way up the ranks.  His latest stop has also been excellent.

This team needs coaches that buy into Archie ball, which is basketball 247, and relate to the kids while developing them and adding a different point of view.  Roberts was a highly regarded player by his teamates and excellent coaches have beleived in him.

Hope this hire is true and welcome to another IU alumn who bleeds IU basketball.

9 minutes ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

How did Ed get Romeo? Ostrom and Archie were the leads there. Ed pulled in zero recruits in his time at IU. 

Schilling was referred to as one of the reasons the Lanfords liked IU.  They liked his track record of developing guards at UCLA and at his camps.  With that being said, who knows if they felt that way at the end.  Credit is given when talent goes on to the NBA.  Who really knows the full story.  Truth is as Dakitch said once, anyone can hold a clipboard and a stop watch and facilitate dribbling drills.   Not saying he didnt do more; however Dakitch has inside info.

13 minutes ago, Fiveoutofsix said:

Roberts would be an excellent hire.  He has been around good teams, good coaches.  Is a coaches son, and former IU team captain.  Beyond learning from those before him, including Knight, he has been around Braun a coach known for development.

Speeking about Braun there is the New Trier HS connection with him and Comer. 

Roberts was highly regarded and has worked his way up the ranks.  His latest stop has also been excellent.

This team needs coaches that buy into Archie ball, which is basketball 247, and relate to the kids while developing them and adding a different point of view.  Roberts was a highly regarded player by his teamates and excellent coaches have beleived in him.

Hope this hire is true and welcome to another IU alumn who bleeds IU basketball.

But what about his AAU connections :coffee:

I can’t imagine being upset about this. Do the people that are upset actually know a single thing about Mike Roberts the coach? What his recruiting ties actually are? They do recruit players at the schools he’s been at. Do you know anything about his actual coaching skills? Is he good at advanced scouting, implementing game plans, developing players? 

This position is for assistant basketball coach, not director of recruiting. You need a candidate that can actually coach the game, scout the future opponents, implement game plans, develop players, and yes do some recruiting. They are all part of the package. 

7 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I can’t imagine being upset about this. Do the people that are upset actually know a single thing about Mike Roberts the coach? What his recruiting ties actually are? They do recruit players at the schools he’s been at. Do you know anything about his actual coaching skills? Is he good at advanced scouting, implementing game plans, developing players? 

This position is for assistant basketball coach, not director of recruiting. You need a candidate that can actually coach the game, scout the future opponents, implement game plans, develop players, and yes do some recruiting. They are all part of the package. 

But..... But.....recruiting offers so much more instant gratification and is worth so many more online bragging points.

:coffee:

46 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Ed got Romeo. Romeo got TJD. TJD got Franklin, Leal, Galloway....Ed is one of the most revered guys in Indiana. Only reason Romeo even considered us. Can't help folks if they don't see that.

Ed started on Romeo and we made up ground and landed Romeo when Ostrom took over that recruitment. I’ve heard that from multiple places.

8 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

4 years of suck? I'd like for you to list 5 coaches in the country (P5) who have been on the gig for 7 years and did the same and kept their job. Short of Northwestern and Penn St.....I can't name any. I'll ask for your input though. Name the coaches please. Thanks!!

Remind me why you’re using 4 years of suck instead of 2? I’ll admit those 2 years were bad in  ‘12-‘13 and ‘13-‘14 and who knows how many other programs would’ve let him stay. 

But the year after in ‘14-‘15, they won 21 games, went 12-6 to finish 3rd in conference, and lost as a 9-seed in the first round to Cincy. 

The year after that, they won 26 games, again went 12-6 in conference to finish 3rd and lost in the first round of the tournament to Little Rock as a 5 seed. 

Obviously it’s never fun to lose in the first round but it happens pretty frequently and only one of those years was an upset (and coincidentally those two years are the only times he’s ever lost in the first round). 

So again I’ll ask, why keep harping on 4 years of suck when it’s really only 2?

24 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Remind me why you’re using 4 years of suck instead of 2? I’ll admit those 2 years were bad in  ‘12-‘13 and ‘13-‘14 and who knows how many other programs would’ve let him stay. 

But the year after in ‘14-‘15, they won 21 games, went 12-6 to finish 3rd in conference, and lost as a 9-seed in the first round to Cincy. 

The year after that, they won 26 games, again went 12-6 in conference to finish 3rd and lost in the first round of the tournament to Little Rock as a 5 seed. 

Obviously it’s never fun to lose in the first round but it happens pretty frequently and only one of those years was an upset (and coincidentally those two years are the only times he’s ever lost in the first round). 

So again I’ll ask, why keep harping on 4 years of suck when it’s really only 2?

Cool. You had two years of suck in years 8 and 9 followed by 2 absolute choke jobs in back to back years your program....for a total of 4 years of yearly and total March failure.You cool with that?

Since you said the condescending term of "so I'll ask again"....I'll respond with the so I'll ask again question....name me another program other than Purdue and the 2 I mentioned who kept their coach around under similar circumstances. I'll hang up and wait for your answer.

12 hours ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Sounds like IU would just be another stepping stone for Ryan Miller

Isn't every assistant job a stepping stone in one way or another?

Look, I don't have any inside info, and while I remember Mike Roberts as a player, I have no idea about his coaching chops. No idea if he's a good recruiter, game planner, developer of young basketball talent.

But, in Archie I trust...if Roberts is the pick, welcome aboard Mike.

16 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Isn't every assistant job a stepping stone in one way or another?

Look, I don't have any inside info, and while I remember Mike Roberts as a player, I have no idea about his coaching chops. No idea if he's a good recruiter, game planner, developer of young basketball talent.

But, in Archie I trust...if Roberts is the pick, welcome aboard Mike.

It is in many cases, but it’s also not uncommon to find assistants who stay in one place for many years. 

11 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

It is in many cases, but it’s also not uncommon to find assistants who stay in one place for many years. 

I understand what you're saying, but I believe that even guys who stick around a program forever, like Bill Guthridge at UNC, want to eventually advance, even if it takes 30 years.

If I was a head coach and had an assistant that I thought was happy at topping out as an assistant coach, I'd be looking for someone new.

Roberts actually has a nice resume. Everywhere he's been the program seemed to improve.

10 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Yep. Because in years 7-10 he went no tourney for 2 years and bounced in first round 2 years. Nowhere besides Illinois would that be allowed.

Well that model was very close to getting to the final four this year.  Right now we shouldn't expect to go where we are at and just get to where we want to be overnight so getting to where Purdue should be the first step.

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

Cool. You had two years of suck in years 8 and 9 followed by 2 absolute choke jobs in back to back years your program....for a total of 4 years of yearly and total March failure.You cool with that?

Since you said the condescending term of "so I'll ask again"....I'll respond with the so I'll ask again question....name me another program other than Purdue and the 2 I mentioned who kept their coach around under similar circumstances. I'll hang up and wait for your answer.

Lorenzo Romar - Washington. Missed all postseason for his last 5 seasons before he was fired.

Jim Christian - Boston College. Entering his 6th season with 1 first round NIT game as their only postseason.

Jerod Haase - Stanford. Entering 4th season, 1 NIT appearance.

You can pick the phone back up now.

1 hour ago, Zlinedavid said:

Lorenzo Romar - Washington. Missed all postseason for his last 5 seasons before he was fired.

Jim Christian - Boston College. Entering his 6th season with 1 first round NIT game as their only postseason.

Jerod Haase - Stanford. Entering 4th season, 1 NIT appearance.

You can pick the phone back up now.

Only Romar fits the initial criteria

Edit:  And he got canned too so he doesn’t fit either

Archived