Assistant Coach Vacancy

• Replies 578
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I applaud Purdue for sticking with Matt Painter. It was a smart move and it's paid off. When you have a coach you believe in, you need to stick with him. It's not the same criteria, but Jay Wright went six seasons (years 9-14 at Villanova) in the middle of his Nova career where he didn't get out of the second round of the tournament. That run included a 13-19 season and three straight double-digit loss seasons. 

In Jay Wright's first 14 years at Villanova he missed the tournament 4 times and only got to the Sweet Sixteen or further 4 times (granted one of those was a Final Four). 10 of 14 years were either tournament misses or not getting out of the first/second round. 

When you have a coach you believe in and believe is the right guy, you need to have patience. There will be down periods. But you trust the guy and have patience he'll work through it. For anyone that answers back with Crean, he wasn't 'the guy', very few believed he was the right coach. There's a difference. 

9 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

http://www.goduke.com/SportSelect.dbml?SPID=1845&SPSID=22725

Here is the Duke coaching staff and all of them are former Duke players who did not have experience  when they were hired at Duke.

I posted earlier in the thread about UVA's top assistant. Villanova's top assistant coached at Niagra and Hoftra before going to Villanova. 

This isn't to say that Roberts will end up being great, I don't know, but I think the point is that the people complaining have no clue if he can actually coach or not, which is really the important part. Both Kenny Johnson and Ed Schilling were fancy, splashy hires, but I've heard both are questionable in the actual coaching the game side of the equation which is probably most important. 

7 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I posted earlier in the thread about UVA's top assistant. Villanova's top assistant coached at Niagra and Hoftra before going to Villanova. 

This isn't to say that Roberts will end up being great, I don't know, but I think the point is that the people complaining have no clue if he can actually coach or not, which is really the important part. Both Kenny Johnson and Ed Schilling were fancy, splashy hires, but I've heard both are questionable in the actual coaching the game side of the equation which is probably most important. 

I am more worried if the coach can game plan and actually develop Basketball players over if he is a great recruiter.

6 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I believe there are a large portion of fans that equate "on court" success during playing days to success as coaches. Hence the desire for Fife, Cheaney, etc. 

Roberts is a brainiac that understands the game better than most. I think you'll see Archie confide in Roberts during in-game situations more than the others. 

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

It is funny you criticize any name that come sup but when asked who you would prefer you have no names besides Fife who is not coming here.

I said I liked Adams yesterday. This isn't criticism by the way. You take it as criticism because it doesn't fit what you want. Others of us call this conversation, dialogue....back and forth. Criticism is reserved for other things. If Roberts is the guy...so be it. Wasn't my first choice. I like Adams....his connections in this state run deep. Roberts has to me more risk involved. Just my two cents though.

1 hour ago, Zlinedavid said:

Lorenzo Romar - Washington. Missed all postseason for his last 5 seasons before he was fired.

Jim Christian - Boston College. Entering his 6th season with 1 first round NIT game as their only postseason.

Jerod Haase - Stanford. Entering 4th season, 1 NIT appearance.

You can pick the phone back up now.

I appreciate you listing those guys....but none actually fit what I asked for. Name a coach who was at a school for 7 years....and had similar 4 year stretch that Painter had....while still keeping their job? I'll hang up and wait for you answer too. Thanks!

11 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I am more worried if the coach can game plan and actually develop Basketball players over if he is a great recruiter.

But isn't that what the head coach and first 2 assistants for? Maybe I'm dead wrong but how many times is 4th guy on the pole responsible for total game plan?

17 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I appreciate you listing those guys....but none actually fit what I asked for. Name a coach who was at a school for 7 years....and had similar 4 year stretch that Painter had....while still keeping their job? I'll hang up and wait for you answer too. Thanks!

Fran McCaffery is approaching that territory. Missed the tournament in years 7 and 8 but didn't have near the success that Painter did his first 6 years. 

1 minute ago, Seeking6 said:

But isn't that what the head coach and first 2 assistants for? Maybe I'm dead wrong but how many times is 4th guy on the pole responsible for total game plan?

Typically how it works is the three assistants split up the schedule and each one is responsible for 1/3 of the schedule in terms of advanced scouting and gamplan prep. So yes, all three assistants need to be able to scout future opponents and implement gameplans. 

23 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Ostrom is widely regarded as the lead recruiter for IU. Schilling was likely that third guy on IU's bench and didn't pull his weight. I see Roberts role as more of scouting/big man developer. He's probably Purdue's version of Brantley. Former player with in-state ties that is responsible for coaching their bigs. Someone like Roberts embraces the Indiana culture and history and genuinely seems like he wants to be here. 

If we're being honest, if IU really wanted a "recruiter" for their third assistant coach, the best they were going to get is someone from the AAU ranks. And while that may seem like a flash in the plan hire, chances are it doesn't work out in the long run. I'll take a guy who is fundamentally sound, has ties to the school/state he's coaching in and take my chances.  

9 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Most of the time all assistant coaches are given games to do the scouting report for and the HC over sees them but does not always do all the work.

I’d much rather hire a rising coach, where you have a shot of capturing high upside.  A coach with power five experience who’s bounced around from one situation to another is less appealing. 

Take a look at Roberts’  bio.  He’s developed players and been around winning situations.  He looks like an ideal candidate as he’s worked up to s job like this.  If he’s indeed the guy, kudos to Archie for how he conducted the search.  He’s not just hiring his buddies like you see so much in sports.  

http://www.uncgspartans.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=32200&ATCLID=209255391

15 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

BGleas gave a really good example in Jay Wright. It wasn’t year 7 but rather year 9. It took him until year 4 to make the tournament for the first time and from 2009 -2010 until 2015-2016, he didn’t make it past the Sweet 16 with 1 year of not making the tournament and multiple first round exits. 

Painter and Wright’s first 7 years were pretty comparable overall. 

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

Remind me why we are debating how good Painter is? I mean, I understand the point that it took him awhile to get here, but ultimately why does it matter? Purdue obviously made the right choice by being patient, are you trying debate that they didn't? As a die hard IU fan I'd gladly switch Purdue's last couple of years of success with our lack of success. And you're not going to find a complete apples to apples comparison to Matt Painter's tenure just like you can't (although we've been trying really hard) to find a complete apples to apples comparison to CAM - it's an unwinnable game. Painter is a good coach - he proved that, especially last year. I can hate Purdue, but I can also see that they are the top dog in the state right now. I don't like it, but it's reality. I'm willing to wait for CAM if he's ultimately the 'right' guy - hopefully his success will come quicker than Painter's and hopefully Roberts is the right guy to help him get there. 

2 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

I could take the '4th guy on the pole' discussion down a totally different path.  :coffee:

Archived