Assistant Coach Vacancy

6 hours ago, BGleas said:

I posted earlier in the thread about UVA's top assistant. Villanova's top assistant coached at Niagra and Hoftra before going to Villanova. 

This isn't to say that Roberts will end up being great, I don't know, but I think the point is that the people complaining have no clue if he can actually coach or not, which is really the important part. Both Kenny Johnson and Ed Schilling were fancy, splashy hires, but I've heard both are questionable in the actual coaching the game side of the equation which is probably most important. 

plus johnson is as crooked as he is fat

• Replies 578
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, IndyResident16 said:

Ostrom is widely regarded as the lead recruiter for IU. Schilling was likely that third guy on IU's bench and didn't pull his weight. I see Roberts role as more of scouting/big man developer. He's probably Purdue's version of Brantley. Former player with in-state ties that is responsible for coaching their bigs. Someone like Roberts embraces the Indiana culture and history and genuinely seems like he wants to be here. 

If we're being honest, if IU really wanted a "recruiter" for their third assistant coach, the best they were going to get is someone from the AAU ranks. And while that may seem like a flash in the plan hire, chances are it doesn't work out in the long run. I'll take a guy who is fundamentally sound, has ties to the school/state he's coaching in and take my chances.  

i'm glad miller avoided hiring from the aau ranks. most of those "coaches" are involved in shady cash payouts to players in return for steering their charges to a particular school. they may be able to bring a top recruit with them initially but seldom have coaching chops of their own. in short, they are bag men. re: kenny johnson

44 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Well if we get this hire out of the way and can get a commit from Cross shortly then we will really run out of things to talk about until November.

Pshaw.  Hoosier Sports Nation will always find things about basketball to talk about.

Repeat after me. 

Hoosier Sports Nation is Great

Hoosier Sports Nation is Great !

HOOSIER SPORTS NATION IS GREAT !!

32 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

I like this hire. I find it interesting that his overseas recruiting is mentioned. I was not one of the folks first and foremost  looking for a guy with a strong recruiting reputation, but I’m thinking maybe we are getting a guy who adds to our recruiting in a way we weren’t expecting or looking for. 

Noticed that comment as well. Love to hear that! I shared my opinions obviously....but Roberts is a Hoosier again and I'll support him the same way I did Davis, Sampson, Crean, Archie,etc.....just hoping this and all of our hires pay off. Love our Hoosiers so much it hurts sometimes to see BS programs pass us by. 

I remember asking a year or two ago if IU's staff had a coach known for developing bigs. The answer I got back was Schilling! Now Schilling is gone and it appears Roberts is in and an opposing coach notes his Big development?? Anyway, If true welcome back coach Robert's!!

4 minutes ago, Indykev said:

Everyone wanted a former player on the bench. Appears if true we now have one. So what's the problem. From what I can tell, one of few former players that sat on Coach Knights bench as a Grad Assistant.

It seems Archie is truly making IU basketball, IU basketball again. Let's hope it has the kind of results we all had in mind!!

17 minutes ago, Indykev said:

Everyone wanted a former player on the bench. Appears if true we now have one. So what's the problem. From what I can tell, one of few former players that sat on Coach Knights bench as a Grad Assistant.

Only speaking for myself. We had to plenty to choose from that are a little bit more connected. I'm not sure if Mike Roberts will play in recruits family rooms. Just my two cents. For him...it will take 2-3 guys....2-3 years from now to say the reason they are in the league is because of Mike Roberts. That's my concern. 

1 hour ago, Drroogh said:

I remember asking a year or two ago if IU's staff had a coach known for developing bigs. The answer I got back was Schilling! Now Schilling is gone and it appears Roberts is in and an opposing coach notes his Big development?? Anyway, If true welcome back coach Robert's!!

Not to downplay much.....but taking the word of a Southern Conference assistant as a reason to get excited about a hire? You can understand why everyone isn't rainbow and unicorn time. 

Disclaimer: People will come along and say this assistant or this program or this coach had success,etc...in a smaller conference. My point remains. IU Hoops has ran out of the credit business given our last 20 years. We've missed the tourney 7 of the last what? 11 years? Sorry if I'm not wholeheartedly and blind allegiance buying what's being sold. Just me. 

27 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Not to downplay much.....but taking the word of a Southern Conference assistant as a reason to get excited about a hire? You can understand why everyone isn't rainbow and unicorn time. 

Disclaimer: People will come along and say this assistant or this program or this coach had success,etc...in a smaller conference. My point remains. IU Hoops has ran out of the credit business given our last 20 years. We've missed the tourney 7 of the last what? 11 years? Sorry if I'm not wholeheartedly and blind allegiance buying what's being sold. Just me. 

That’s completely fair at this point. And, your not alone. 👀 💰

On 8/20/2019 at 3:12 PM, 13th&Jackson said:

That makes sense. He checks a lot of boxes. From an article about UNCG's appearance at Assembly Hall in 2014:

Roberts is now an the associate head coach for the Spartans under former prep school teammate Wes Miller, who described his long-time friend’s homecoming.

“I’ve known Mike since I was 15 years old,” Miller said. “We went to prep school together before he came to IU. Let me just say he is passionate about Indiana. He is passionate about Bloomington. His eyes just light up when he speaks about his whole experience here, not just the basketball experience. (Thanksgiving) night he makes me go out in 15-degree weather and walk around downtown showing me every restaurant and place he used to hang out. He was really excited to be back.”

As far as Miller is concerned, getting Roberts back to Indiana more often just might be a good idea.

“Any time we can get Mike Roberts back to the state of Indiana, he’s a happy camper,” the UNC-G head coach said. “And if we can get him to Bloomington, he’s going to be really happy.”

https://www.hoosiersportsreport.com/2014/11/roberts-still-passionate-about-basketball-iu/

After reading this yesterday, I was completely on board if Coach Roberts was the pick. Welcome back!

2 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Only speaking for myself. We had to plenty to choose from that are a little bit more connected. I'm not sure if Mike Roberts will play in recruits family rooms. Just my two cents. For him...it will take 2-3 guys....2-3 years from now to say the reason they are in the league is because of Mike Roberts. That's my concern. 

Seems to me Archie has that same issue. How many has he "Put" in the league?

Whether or not this is a good hire wont be determined for quite some time. But I will echo what some of the others have said, which is that I am very glad that it wasn't an AAU coach. I'd be interested to see what the staying power is of AAU coaches who get hired as assistants is. I know that the profession has very high turnover rates overall anyways, but I would bet that most AAU coaches that get hired are probably out of the collegiate coaching ranks very quickly.

8 hours ago, Indykev said:

Yep....which is why the assistants have to have that (Schilling did). Archie can get whoever he wants on his staff and I'll support them. With each hire comes some risk though. The risk of Roberts is nobody will know who he is and his track record for UNCG doesn't play in the family rooms of top recruits. 

8 hours ago, Indykev said:

A decent number if you include his assistant coaching days at Arizona, Ohio State, etc. Just off the top of my head, he coached Evan Turner, Kosta Koufos, and Jon Diebler at Ohio State.

He also coached Derrick Williams and Solomon Hill at Arizona...

And Jeff Ayres during his one season at Arizona State, along with Julius Hodge and Cedric Simmons at NC State.

5 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

The risk of Roberts is nobody will know who he is and his track record for UNCG doesn't play in the family rooms of top recruits. 

From everything I've read and heard, Roberts is a true, dyed in the wool, Hoosier.

Maybe recruits and their families won't recognize the name, but honesty, loyalty, and enthusiasm for the program are hard to fake, and easy for a recruit to sense. 

Those things can sell a program to a lot of kids and their parents.

Archived