Assistant Coach Vacancy

3 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

From everything I've read and heard, Roberts is a true, dyed in the wool, Hoosier.

Maybe recruits and their families won't recognize the name, but honesty, loyalty, and enthusiasm for the program are hard to fake, and easy for a recruit to sense. 

Those things can sell a program to a lot of kids and their parents.

Hope so! I think if we some strong play and development from TJD, Brunk,etc...this year it could go a long way to the Furst, Kaufman types on recruiting trail. 

• Replies 578
  • Created
  • Last Reply
51 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Yep....which is why the assistants have to have that (Schilling did). Archie can get whoever he wants on his staff and I'll support them. With each hire comes some risk though. The risk of Roberts is nobody will know who he is and his track record for UNCG doesn't play in the family rooms of top recruits. 

I would say that the vast majority, really probably everyone, on this board has no idea how Mike Roberts is received in a recruits living room. Literally none. Players and parents might love him, who knows? 

What good did all of that do Schilling? 

2 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I would say that the vast majority, really probably everyone, on this board has no idea how Mike Roberts is received in a recruits living room. Literally none. Players and parents might love him, who knows? 

What good did all of that do Schilling? 

At some point we'll all find out what happened with Ed. To me I don't think it came down to just KB Jr recruitment. Something else is up there....because track record wise no one can argue his bio and success....dating back to days at Nets with Cal, time with Bruiser at UMass, his Wright St teams and of course I think he helped put 7-8 guys from UCLA into the league. Not to mention all of the Indy talent he's helped over the years personally. 

7 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

At some point we'll all find out what happened with Ed. To me I don't think it came down to just KB Jr recruitment. Something else is up there....because track record wise no one can argue his bio and success....dating back to days at Nets with Cal, time with Bruiser at UMass, his Wright St teams and of course I think he helped put 7-8 guys from UCLA into the league. Not to mention all of the Indy talent he's helped over the years personally. 

We probably actually won't find out, but the reality is for whatever reason Schilling didn't work out at IU. A guy like Kenny Johnson who was a 'splashy' hire didn't really work out (he brought in a lot of questionable characters during the Crean years).

I'd bet Mike Roberts has a longer shelf life than either, and is probably more effective at the X's and O's stuff, which I'll take. 

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

Yep....which is why the assistants have to have that (Schilling did). Archie can get whoever he wants on his staff and I'll support them. With each hire comes some risk though. The risk of Roberts is nobody will know who he is and his track record for UNCG doesn't play in the family rooms of top recruits. 

And Yet....Schilling got no recruits and Ostrom has tore it up

15 hours ago, Parakeet Jones said:

I like this hire. I find it interesting that his overseas recruiting is mentioned. I was not one of the folks first and foremost  looking for a guy with a strong recruiting reputation, but I’m thinking maybe we are getting a guy who adds to our recruiting in a way we weren’t expecting or looking for. 

I find the part about overseas recruiting very interesting.  I don't know if there's another team in the B10 that has, historically, done as poorly as us in bringing in -quality- players from outside America.  It seems a lot of teams have really improved themselves by adding players from Europe, Australia, etc., especially when it comes to bigs and good shooters.  There will be times that the state of Indiana just doesn't have an abundance of those types of players and the ones nationally may be bound for the UKs, Dukes, NCs, and Kansassss of the CBB world.  Just look at what Few has done at Gonzaga with players that were from overseas. I'll take a little of that action.

5 hours ago, IUFLA said:

From everything I've read and heard, Roberts is a true, dyed in the wool, Hoosier.

Maybe recruits and their families won't recognize the name, but honesty, loyalty, and enthusiasm for the program are hard to fake, and easy for a recruit to sense. 

Those things can sell a program to a lot of kids and their parents.

You can guarantee he won't be telling recruits they should go to Duke.

#RoshownMcClown

38 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

You can guarantee he won't be telling recruits they should go to Duke.

And he will be telling and showing recruits, all the great places in B-town to eat.  Previous article stated he loves the eateries in Bloomington. 

None of us should have any problem with this hire.  He's bleeding Cream and Crimson.  Just like all of us on this board. 

Archived