Assistant Coach Vacancy

9 hours ago, BGleas said:

I would say that the vast majority, really probably everyone, on this board has no idea how Mike Roberts is received in a recruits living room. Literally none. Players and parents might love him, who knows? 

What good did all of that do Schilling? 

From all the interviews I heard today talking about Roberts is that he is viewed as a very good recruiter.  Just because he was not at a power 5 school and not recruiting top 20 players does not mean he can't recruit.  he did very good at the level he was at and should be able to do the same at this level.  I was at home sick today and was watching YouTube a lot of the day and heard one interview with Tom Coverdale.  He said Mike is one of his best friends and stated that Mike has a fire inside him and is a very intense coach.

• Replies 578
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We may not know what Coach Roberts can be for our program. To be determined as they say. Having said that. I think Archie pulled a rabbit out of the hat. A former player. Someone, I am willing to bet was on no one's radar. Albeit, a bench player. Yet, one, despite that, has expressed his love of,and for IU.  Not just now. But for years  based on what we are now reading about him. To the extent, that people from his last coaching gig are saying it is a major loss, not to have him any longer.

Dan Dakich. A former player who thought a former IU player (Steve Alford) should have been hired by IU as a HC.... should be thrilled with this pick.

Archie has been recruiting the state from inside out.  NOW. He has gone outside of the state. To pull a former Hoosier back into the state.  What's not to love about that ?

1 hour ago, milehiiu said:

We may not know what Coach Roberts can be for our program. To be determined as they say. Having said that. I think Archie pulled a rabbit out of the hat. A former player. Someone, I am willing to bet was on no one's radar. Albeit, a bench player. Yet, one, despite that, has expressed his love of,and for IU.  Not just now. But for years  based on what we are now reading about him. To the extent, that people from his last coaching gig are saying it is a major loss, not to have him any longer.

Dan Dakich. A former player who thought a former IU player (Steve Alford) should have been hired by IU as a HC.... should be thrilled with this pick.

Archie has been recruiting the state from inside out.  NOW. He has gone outside of the state. To pull a former Hoosier back into the state.  What's not to love about that ?

Always seems that bench guys always make the best coaches. Add on top of that, his love for the school and his extreme intellect...liking the choice more and more.

14 minutes ago, OGIUAndy said:

What other school’s fans get this fired up over the hiring of the 3rd assistant coach? At some point the chickens will come home to roost. 

Depends. If we were UK, Duke, Carolina, Virginia, Sparty...or a few others of course not. Right now...like it or not...we are a top tier program that keeps getting 5th place results. Something has to change. This hire to me is one that is made by a coach who has 100% full control and autonomy. Right now our coach is headed into his 3rd year....with more ammo being used against him vs for him on the recruiting front. That's my only concern. 

4 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Depends. If we were UK, Duke, Carolina, Virginia, Sparty...or a few others of course not. Right now...like it or not...we are a top tier program that keeps getting 5th place results. Something has to change. This hire to me is one that is made by a coach who has 100% full control and autonomy. Right now our coach is headed into his 3rd year....with more ammo being used against him vs for him on the recruiting front. That's my only concern. 

“Right now our coach is headed into his 3rd year...with more ammo being used against him vs for him on the recruiting front.”

Not sure how you would know that to be a fact, but to play along... if that were true, wouldn’t that mean that opposing schools view CAM as a threat?

I would much rather be in that position than to be considered an afterthought.

3 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

“Right now our coach is headed into his 3rd year...with more ammo being used against him vs for him on the recruiting front.”

Not sure how you would know that to be a fact, but to play along... if that were true, wouldn’t that mean that opposing schools view CAM as a threat?

We see things differently. No harm or foul. Just saying if IU doesn't make tourney this year....the Roberts hire won't be our concern. Anyone that has an ounce of basketball recruiting knowledge will understand what will happen. 

PS...play along? Be better. Seems like an odd choice of terms for cordial conversation.  Of course they view him as a threat....which is why I said what I said. 

3 hours ago, IU Scott said:

From all the interviews I heard today talking about Roberts is that he is viewed as a very good recruiter.  Just because he was not at a power 5 school and not recruiting top 20 players does not mean he can't recruit.  he did very good at the level he was at and should be able to do the same at this level.  I was at home sick today and was watching YouTube a lot of the day and heard one interview with Tom Coverdale.  He said Mike is one of his best friends and stated that Mike has a fire inside him and is a very intense coach.

Yeah, I think what a few people are forgetting is that UNCG recruits players too. You know who they recruit? Players that play AAU with the same kids that are being recruiting by ACC, SEC and Big Ten schools, etc. These top AAU programs have kids on them that play mid-major and low-major. Mike Roberts would need relationships with these programs to recruit kids to UNCG  

He might not be someone like Kenny Johnson that comes from the AAU system, but I think that’s a good thing, and I guarantee Roberts is much, much better at actually coaching basketball than someone like Kenny Johnson. 

I also listened to the Coverdale interview, it was great. 

8 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Yeah, I think what a few people are forgetting is that UNCG recruits players too. You know who they recruit? Players that play AAU with the same kids that are being recruiting by ACC, SEC and Big Ten schools, etc. These top AAU programs have kids on them that play mid-major and low-major. Mike Roberts would need relationships with these programs to recruit kids to UNCG  

He might not be someone like Kenny Johnson that comes from the AAU system, but I think that’s a good thing, and I guarantee Roberts is much, much better at actually coaching basketball than someone like Kenny Johnson. 

I also listened to the Coverdale interview, it was great. 

Great post. From someone who has rubbed elbows with some of the all time NBA greats. Thanks for your input. As always. It is a treasure to have you as an active member of Hoosier Sports Nation.

10 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Right now our coach is headed into his 3rd year...with more ammo being used against him vs for him on the recruiting front.

It's called an Absolute. Some on the board are allowed to speak this way. :coffee:

Archived