Assistant Coach Vacancy

• Replies 578
  • Created
  • Last Reply
58 minutes ago, 68Hoosier said:

I have lived with one for 30 years now.  She is a teacher here in Indiana.  Not sure how she does it some day...

Oh yeah.  Starting out, my wife came home for years with smiles.  And late in her career, came home in tears.

Students changed. And admin support went away.

It was obvious that her last principle was working to get her retired.  Due to her salary. No support.  Once told her she was an embarasment to the school. A school she had taught in for decades.  And had won more teacher of the month awards than any other teacher !

Then, when my wife retired. The very same principle requested her for numerous long term replacements ! 

4 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

As a non-teacher, is anyone willing to summarize what is behind the implication of difficulty in teaching now versus before?  

As a teacher (this my 18th year) my opinion is that the breakdown of the family is the biggest issue. The everyone gets a trophy mentality has hurt too. It’s such a complex thing to try to even summarize in a couple of sentences. 

42 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

As a non-teacher, is anyone willing to summarize what is behind the implication of difficulty in teaching now versus before?  

This thread has really taken a turn 😀.

Anyways, I'm not a teach as well but my mom worked in a school for 20+ years, my MIL was a teacher for 20+ years and my wife now works in a school, so we hear a lot and are friends with a lot of teachers. There are a ton of issues, but the overarching theme I constantly hear from teachers is lack of support. Basically, parents in 2019 are THE WORST and in our 'cater to me', everyone is offended/gets a trophy society, at the very first sign of a parent complaining administrators bow down and succumb to complaining parents, no matter how absurd the complaint, while throwing teachers under the bus. Administrations rarely if ever support teachers.

Again, there are a lot of issues, but what I hear from family and friends the above is usually at the root. 

I taught special needs kids for 9 years. I feel like I did my part.

I served populations who were smart enough to know that they were different, but not able to overcome that. I also served families who had worn out their welcome with pretty much every support or advocacy group. I would get calls at 2-3 in the morning because Johnny had a run in with the law and no one else would help.

I agree with whoever said that the parents are a big part of the problem. Many times, the kids I worked with had no chance given what the parents were into 

55 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Anyways, I'm not a teach as well but my mom worked in a school for 20+ years, my MIL was a teacher for 20+ years and my wife now works in a school, so we hear a lot and are friends with a lot of teachers. There are a ton of issues, but the overarching theme I constantly hear from teachers is lack of support. Basically, parents in 2019 are THE WORST and in our 'cater to me', everyone is offended/gets a trophy society, at the very first sign of a parent complaining administrators bow down and succumb to complaining parents, no matter how absurd the complaint, while throwing teachers under the bus. Administrations rarely if ever support teachers.

Again, there are a lot of issues, but what I hear from family and friends the above is usually at the root. 

What you have heard is accurate. 

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

SPOT ON...HR’s top priority is diffusing complaints and appeasing them instead of leading people through them. Never want to take any firm stand on ANYTHING.

Another major issue is a bunch of suits who haven't been in the classroom in yrs or ever are making all the curriculum/testing decisions. They are clueless and have the teacher's hands tied in what they teach and how they manage the classroom. It has become a very frustrating job.

I have a client who teaches special needs kids.

The fear of lawsuits is real and is an overriding concern for most teachers. His administration has gone so far as to videotape his entire day so that if a parent brought suit against him that he wasn’t teaching to the student’s IEP, the school would have documented otherwise.

Can you imagine having your workday recorded? 

Talk about big  brother 

4 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I have been teaching high school for over 25 years and a number of things have changed dramatically. I still love teaching, but it is harder and harder each year. I started teaching in 1993 and still remember the day when the small high school I was teaching at got its first computer in the library. There were no computers in any of the teacher's rooms nor were there any cell phones for students to depend on.  Students, teachers and administrators were more connected and engaged. Over the past 20 + years, those students became parents around newer technology. They in turn, had kids that have now grown up around cell phones and technology. Bottom line, IMHO,  parents and students now have lower social skills more than ever because of their dependency on technology and lack of face to face communication. Parents expect teachers to raise their students and students are more and more disrespectful because values are so different today in alot of homes.

Basically, I feel it started when computers and other technology including cell phones slowly began taking up students lives. Don't get me wrong, technology has been wonderful for education, but IMO that is where the disconnect between students, parents and teachers began. 

13 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

As a teacher- I don't want to throw too much of a pity party.  I know every job has its BS.  And yes- we get the summers off.  

I think there's just a lot of pressure at the administrative level to impress the powers that be.  This has led to lots of changes that make things really complicated.  One law says this....another school district policy says this....seems like there's something new every year.  By the time you've taught 15 years you realize there's absolutely no way you could do everything you're supposed to do.  Everyone is trying to meet some insane standard, which means they usually just lie. 

What drives me craziest is I feel like I'm lying all the time.  I just say I do things in the classroom that I don't do. I say that I individualize my lessons, make modifications, use elements of Marzano, blah blah blah....I don't.  I can't.  I would never see my wife and two kids if I did.

So that's my number 1 beef about teaching right now.  It's not the kids, or the technology, or the parents.  it's the top-down management from the state that causes schools to prioritize meeting the demands of the politicians and policies, not the kids.  Ronald Reagan once said..."Government is not the solution to the problem.  Government is the problem."  Legislators in Indiana should adhere to this.  

I taught for 9.5 years, thankfully got on the fire department before aging out.  

Parents, lack of support from admin and parents,  kids really could care less, and the top down issues blazing just stated are all major issues.  I usually had control of my classroom and put up the best scores in the district, while having the most poverty in the district as well.  But dead honest,  we just drilled for the test for 3 weeks straight and I brided the hell out of the kids.  But they loved me because I was firm, fair, and consistent and loved them.  

Teaching is right at the top of important professions. I think most adults with common sense have the utmost respect for teachers.  Very important, tough, but critical job.  

We have been the world leader forever.  There are a variety of reasons for that, but the wisdom of universal education is maybe the biggest factor. 

As an aside, I would love to see a sociological study to see why parents today —who were generally raised by old school parents themselves— somehow have become a problem overall, helicoptering, being defensive, etc. I wonder what’s triggered all that?

I am in my 46 year teaching. Last 4 years have seen the most change. When Indiana allowed students to go wherever they wanted, and the money followed them, parents and students inherited power. Administrators are worried students will transfer and the funding as well.  Therefore,  they are less likely to really use what limited consequences they have. Makes teachers almost powerless. Just my opinion.

5 hours ago, Blazin Hazin said:

As a teacher- I don't want to throw too much of a pity party.  I know every job has its BS.  And yes- we get the summers off.  

I think there's just a lot of pressure at the administrative level to impress the powers that be.  This has led to lots of changes that make things really complicated.  One law says this....another school district policy says this....seems like there's something new every year.  By the time you've taught 15 years you realize there's absolutely no way you could do everything you're supposed to do.  Everyone is trying to meet some insane standard, which means they usually just lie. 

What drives me craziest is I feel like I'm lying all the time.  I just say I do things in the classroom that I don't do. I say that I individualize my lessons, make modifications, use elements of Marzano, blah blah blah....I don't.  I can't.  I would never see my wife and two kids if I did.

So that's my number 1 beef about teaching right now.  It's not the kids, or the technology, or the parents.  it's the top-down management from the state that causes schools to prioritize meeting the demands of the politicians and policies, not the kids.  Ronald Reagan once said..."Government is not the solution to the problem.  Government is the problem."  Legislators in Indiana should adhere to this.  

Lol...my mother in law was a teacher for over 30 years. My wife can’t stand teachers and says they complain too much lol including her mom. I don’t want to get murdered so while I greatly appreciate those that will be helping educate our youth I do think I could sit here and complain about my job and how corporations have changed and expectations are unrealistic and those Young kids I manage coming in have changed and blah blah blah but every job has its challenges. I don’t know what to say...it’s my generation that evidentially is raising these entitled kids etc so I’ve got no one to blame but myself and my friends growing up apparently. I think I could see it starting in the late 80s and the 90s and our parents no longer requiring kids to work, giving allowances, buying them cars, paying for their college, baby sitting their kids for them, putting their down payments on their homes for them. It was done out of love but it didn’t help them...it started a horrible trend. Now we are repeating and trying to do even more and all the time the kids are not learning to work for themselves in the classroom, work, and life. Add the Internet, calculators, computers etc that remove the hard labor of learning and it compounds. Remember when we had to actually go to the library and get an encyclopedia and spend hours reading through different scientific journals or history books to understand a topic before writing about it? Now you do a few google searches and it’s all there already summarized into quotable pieces and no real learning takes place. There is a place for all that and learning how to use it but we’ve substituted reading to our kids for the tv or pad to entertain them and we’ve taken away their jobs because now grown men mow the lawns and work the fields and young women arent taught to cook or work because we go out to eat every night and dad buys us the prom dress etc. 

I don’t have a clue about administration but if it’s like corporate management etc they are probably only worried about hitting the numbers and reaching goals that shouldn’t even be the measure of doing a good job. Pretty much sounds the same as everywhere else honestly. I thank anyone in ANY job that cares about the quality of their work and gives the best of themselves whether it is in the class room or at a restaurant or building a road or making my next car. As for steering our youth back....well it’s up to all of us...because I’d venture to say it’s our kids that are the next generation or the ones being talked about. Change will have to start with us.

Archived