Assistant Coach Vacancy

• Replies 578
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Cutter said:

One week and classes will be starting. I guess we will find out soon if the delay has a purpose or things didn’t go as smooth as this Hoosier fan would like. Any updated rumblings about any candidates?

Or, there is no delay at all. Maybe this is just the time it took. We know there were recruiting periods earlier in the summer and we know Archie, and I'm sure others in the athletic office took vacations, and potentially the target candidate took a vacation as well. Maybe this is just the time it took based on the time of year and competing priorities. 

40 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Or, there is no delay at all. Maybe this is just the time it took. We know there were recruiting periods earlier in the summer and we know Archie, and I'm sure others in the athletic office took vacations, and potentially the target candidate took a vacation as well. Maybe this is just the time it took based on the time of year and competing priorities. 

Yes that may be true. I think it is very important that Archie makes a really good hire. When hired he confided in brother Sean and friend Cal to get  input on assistant coaches, schilling and bruiser were the result of that. Obviously Schilling is gone and bruiser, and this maybe just me but he has been less than stellar so far. Maybe I am missing the east coast recruiting connections bruiser has but haven’t seen much other than offers at this point. That is ok with me if he is a strong bench and practice coach because I am all in on the Indiana kids. I think this hire is really important and looking forward to a announcement.

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

You're doing nothing to help the conspiracy theorists.

I think Fred has told Archie who he has to hire and Archie is trying to determine if he wants to stay or go elsewhere. :coffee:

11 minutes ago, Cutter said:

Yes that may be true. I think it is very important that Archie makes a really good hire. When hired he confided in brother Sean and friend Cal to get  input on assistant coaches, schilling and bruiser were the result of that. Obviously Schilling is gone and bruiser, and this maybe just me but he has been less than stellar so far. Maybe I am missing the east coast recruiting connections bruiser has but haven’t seen much other than offers at this point. That is ok with me if he is a strong bench and practice coach because I am all in on the Indiana kids. I think this hire is really important and looking forward to a announcement.

I don't know. I think we tend to make a lot of assumptions about what the coaches do/don't do when we have maybe 1% of the available information on who they are, how they interact and what they're responsible for. I have no idea how well Bruiser is doing or what he's contributing, but not sure how you can say he's been 'less than stellar'? Do you have access to his pregame scouting reports? Maybe he's great at that, being that he has 20 years of division 1 head coaching experience and another 10 as an assistant. 

Are you just looking at east coast recruiting when saying Bruiser is 'less than stellar'? Assistant coaches have far more responsibilities than just recruiting. We do know that Ostrom is the lead recruiting assistant and Archie is the closer, so while all coaches need to recruit, maybe that's not Bruiser's main focus especially given the focus on inside-out. Given his experience, maybe he's best at scouting opponents and building gameplans? I would bet he's better at that than Ostrom or Schilling. 

This is not me calling you out, so please don't take it that way, I just think as a group we make a lot of assumptions, especially in a topic like this, when we really know very little of the information. 

4 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I don't know. I think we tend to make a lot of assumptions about what the coaches do/don't do when we have maybe 1% of the available information on who they are, how they interact and what they're responsible for. I have no idea how well Bruiser is doing or what he's contributing, but not sure how you can say he's been 'less than stellar'? Do you have access to his pregame scouting reports? Maybe he's great at that, being that he has 20 years of division 1 head coaching experience and another 10 as an assistant. 

Are you just looking at east coast recruiting when saying Bruiser is 'less than stellar'? Assistant coaches have far more responsibilities than just recruiting. We do know that Ostrom is the lead recruiting assistant and Archie is the closer, so while all coaches need to recruit, maybe that's not Bruiser's main focus especially given the focus on inside-out. Given his experience, maybe he's best at scouting opponents and building gameplans? I would bet he's better at that than Ostrom or Schilling. 

This is not me calling you out, so please don't take it that way, I just think as a group we make a lot of assumptions, especially in a topic like this, when we really know very little of the information. 

I qualified my statement by saying bruiser may be a good bench and practice coach and as you point out other aspects of coaching he may be performing well and I don’t know. I am putting this out there looking for information, do you have anything?

Nicely stated, BGleas.  I think the same could be said for IU's recruiting.  We aren't privy to Archie's war room, how he stacks the players, what he envisions, etc.  He may be recruiting two kids at a position, one very hard and the other he keeps contact just in case.  Or, he wants to see improvement in a kid, and tells him so.  We don't know the internal discussions the staff has, nor do we know what he tells a particular kid one-on-one.

There are certain players I get enamored with, but in the end, as a fan, you cannot get too worked up because we don't know the full story.  Since sports are results-oriented, that's when a coach can be judged.  

I don’t know the full story or even part of it but I am certain of the facts we have really sucked Archie’s first two years and I am glad he is prioritizing Indiana kids. He needs to make this hire a really good hire because as a fan for over 50 years I have not been real impressed with the on court performance . There can never be a season where you loose 12 out of 13. Game preparation and opponents scouting seemed nonexistent. We had injuries but basically did the same thing with a lot of the same players on the court during this horrible loosing streak. Even Archie said it was embarrassing. Hopefully things will get better this year. But you know second place is just the first looser they talk to

2 minutes ago, INDenizen said:

Does anyone know who Nick Baumgart is? All of a sudden there are several tweets about IU and I've never heard of him before. Just curious.

Like I posted in the other thread, not sure who he is but is known enough that Peegs follows him on twitter.

32 minutes ago, INDenizen said:

Does anyone know who Nick Baumgart is? All of a sudden there are several tweets about IU and I've never heard of him before. Just curious.

Seems to be an Evansville based guy. He’s mentioned here: https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/the-daily-hoosier-report-the-latest-in-iu-news-and-recruiting-notes-07-01/ 

https://www.linkedin.com/in/nbaumgart

20 minutes ago, INDenizen said:

Just name recognition for me. He doesn't say IU stuff often but when he does (like a few on here) it's better to listen. Kind of like when ND Kendrick has something to say. My guess is since both are from same part of the world they share scoop.

2 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

Anyone want to harbor a guess? Anyone know who it will be?

Kenny Johnson. Based on the clues from Rabby. This also explains why things took so long because of all the background work that would need to be done.

For those that don’t know I believe the clues where: 

AAU ties to some big programs

IU ties

Been a college assistant for several years

17 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

Kenny Johnson. Based on the clues from Rabby. This also explains why things took so long because of all the background work that would need to be done.

IU ties

This would be amazing, lol.

4 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

that better not be the name since he was at UL when everything hit there so I doubt it would be him.

We can't assume guilt by association if so then you could say Crean was dirty casue KJ was on his staff and CAM is because he was with Sean. I am sure that if he is the next assistant coach then due diligence has taken place. 

32 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

IU ties

Is it worth the baggage?

Archived