Assistant Coach Vacancy

1 hour ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I think so too. Any time you poach another D-I program's top assistant you're probably making a good hire. The IU connections are gravy after that.

Same guy on Twitter (Nick Baumgart) who said it would be announced today or tomorrow just confirmed that Mike Roberts was indeed the name he'd been hearing, but was never able to confirm it. So this sounds legit. Same guy said Ryan Miller was/is in the running: https://gofrogs.com/coaches.aspx?rc=28&path=mbball

• Replies 578
  • Created
  • Last Reply
39 minutes ago, OGIUAndy said:

Same guy on Twitter (Nick Baumgart) who said it would be announced today or tomorrow just confirmed that Mike Roberts was indeed the name he'd been hearing, but was never able to confirm it. So this sounds legit. 

Mlike Roberts was a grad assistant at Texas tech under Knight, 2 years at Cal assistant, four years at rice and 3 plus. Years at UNC Greensboro.

This is just my 2019 recruiting world opinion. Maybe in the long haul a guy like Mike Roberts would be exciting. I'd prefer someone with a little more splash or whatever...just my two cents. We see what's happening at Memphis and they can't even fill their available spots. My opinion only......the last guy on the assistant bench should be for recruiting and recruiting elite prospects. If the head coach and his first/second assistants are who we think they are.....the last guy should be like a Travis Steele type. 

3 hours ago, dbmhoosier said:

If it's Mike Roberts that would be an enormous letdown.

Are you just looking for a flashy name?   If so, Miley Cyrus just separated from her husband.  Think of the splash she would create.  

I know nothing about Roberts' coaching history, so I can't judge.  But, I'm not going to be so narrow-minded to write him off because his name does not have cache'

1 minute ago, Seeking6 said:

This is just my 2019 recruiting world opinion. Maybe in the long haul a guy like Mike Roberts would be exciting. I'd prefer someone with a little more splash or whatever...just my two cents. We see what's happening at Memphis and they can't even fill their available spots. My opinion only......the last guy on the assistant bench should be for recruiting and recruiting elite prospects. If the head coach and his first/second assistants are who we think they are.....the last guy should be like a Travis Steele type. 

Someone passionate about Indiana basketball is going to be a better salesman to the kind of kids we're trying to recruit than someone that is more style than substance.  

9 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Everyone wants IU to get back to being "IU". I think moves like this are steps in the right direction. My brother mentioned that he recalls reading an article about him from 2005.  Mike Davis called him "The Boss" and predicted he would be a great coach someday. Same article said Roberts was recruited by Pat Knight. So this hire, if true, opens the door even more. 

2 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Someone passionate about Indiana basketball is going to be a better salesman to the kind of kids we're trying to recruit than someone that is more style than substance.  

Mike Roberts could sell what Indiana BB is all about. 

6 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Like who out there would be a splash hire for you? because I doubt any of us can really name many assistant coaches in the country.  I couldn't tell you who are assistant coaches at UVA and they just won the national championship.

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

Like who out there would be a splash hire for you? because I doubt any of us can really name many assistant coaches in the country.  I couldn't tell you who are assistant coaches at UVA and they just won the national championship.

Everyone wanted Archie to bring us full circle. I like what he's doing. When the results come, it will be a lot more fun than if we started winning the Calipari way. I think some Indiana kids who have or will pass on us, will regret it in the long haul. 

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

Say if it is  Mike Roberts then I was wondering what the holdup has been on this hire.  Also I would like to see this hire since we have the same last name and good to see my name mentioned with IU.

Heard  Ryan Miller was/is in the running, may have changed his mind, turned us down?  https://gofrogs.com/coaches.aspx?rc=28&path=mbball Who knows. And it's not set in stone that it is Mike Roberts. But it sure does make a lot of sense. 

36 minutes ago, OGIUAndy said:

Everyone wants IU to get back to being "IU". I think moves like this are steps in the right direction. My brother mentioned that he recalls reading an article about him from 2005.  Mike Davis called him "The Boss" and predicted he would be a great coach someday. Same article said Roberts was recruited by Pat Knight. So this hire, if true, opens the door even more. 

So now the very people who think and/or thought Mike Davis didn't know what it took to recruit Indiana and ran him out of town....now 15 years later Davis is now being used as a reason why this potentially could be a smart hire? Sorry. The irony is laughable. 

27 minutes ago, OGIUAndy said:

Heard  Ryan Miller was/is in the running, may have changed his mind, turned us down?  https://gofrogs.com/coaches.aspx?rc=28&path=mbball Who knows. And it's not set in stone that it is Mike Roberts. But it sure does make a lot of sense. 

Sounds like IU would just be another stepping stone for Ryan Miller

So now the very people who think and/or thought Mike Davis didn't know what it took to recruit Indiana and ran him out of town....now 15 years later Davis is now being used as a reason why this potentially could be a smart hire? Sorry. The irony is laughable. 

If that’s how you want to interpret that, so be it. I was giving some reference to Mike Roberts the player. And Mike Davis has turned out to be a fairly successful head coach regardless. 

6 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Mike Davis has been a darn good college basketball coach the last 10 years or so.

Just now, OGIUAndy said:

If that’s how you want to interpret that, so be it. I was giving some reference to Mike Roberts the player. And Mike Davis has turned out to be a fairly successful head coach regardless. 

Slow down. You said Mike Davis said that Mike Roberts was The Boss.....per your brother. I'm saying that before today at Noon no one on this board was asking what Mike Roberts was doing....now all of a sudden he's some conduit to the glory days because he had a Knight/Tech relationship?

PS...If we're trying to find old players who can also be useful on recruiting and coaching and bringing back yesterday with today why not go after Fife? Why choose a dude who has been in Carolina for 8 years at a third tier school??

2 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Mike Davis has been a darn good college basketball coach the last 10 years or so.

So now goalposts have been shifted from citing Mike Davis as saying Mike Roberts was The Boss....to now saying he's a darn good coach in the last 10 years.. Can't keep up guys. 

Slow down. You said Mike Davis said that Mike Roberts was The Boss.....per your brother. I'm saying that before today at Noon no one on this board was asking what Mike Roberts was doing....now all of a sudden he's some conduit to the glory days because he had a Knight/Tech relationship?

PS...If we're trying to find old players who can also be useful on recruiting and coaching and bringing back yesterday with today why not go after Fife? Why choose a dude who has been in Carolina for 8 years at a third tier school??

So Fife is going to leave MSU? Why? 

42 minutes ago, OGIUAndy said:

Everyone wanted Archie to bring us full circle. I like what he's doing. When the results come, it will be a lot more fun than if we started winning the Calipari way. I think some Indiana kids who have or will pass on us, will regret it in the long haul. 

Yep.  That Brooks kid will regret it.  Whatever happened to his thread on the recruiting forum anyway.  I may go see if I can find it.

Archived