Weight loss motivation

Alright gents (and ladies if there are any), I think it is time for this again.  I have had a pretty emotionally rough last year, and didn't cope well and have put on quite a bit of weight since we ended our weight loss thread last year.  I know my biggest thing has been how my mental health has caused me to gain weight, so I am going to work on improving my mental and physical health at the same time.  Who would have thought Fat Bastard from Austin Powers would have such a profound quote.  "I eat because I'm unhappy, and I'm unhappy because I eat.  It's a vicious cycle."  I'm going to try starting this thread up again, so if you want to join, let me know.

I am open to doing this any way people want, so if you have suggestions, feel free to throw them out.  I'll probably weigh in tomorrow because I'm feeling motivated to get started, but we'll probably try to start in a week or two.  People can join in at any time.  Hopefully we can get a pretty good group going on this again.

I'd also like to get back into running again, so I think it would be fun to have an HSN meet up and run a race like a 10k or half marathon.  There is one in Indianapolis each May.  Just throwing ideas out there, but that would be an incredible goal for people to shoot for.  I ran a half marathon a few years ago, and it was an incredibly rewarding experience.  I would love to do another one even though I probably couldn't run to the fridge and back at the moment!

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wish people well who choose to make the choice to drop lbs. I probably won't participate in the weekly weigh in portion as I did last year but will check in time to time. Settling in at a pretty good number/weight for me. Still doing the elliptical 5x per for 45 minutes each time, nightly walks with dog, and genuinely try to stay carb free for 75% of my meals. Doing those few things work for me. Good luck to all!

53 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Cool thread! I lost a ton of weight before my wedding last July (about 40 pounds in 3 months) but gradually have put it all back on. Want to get back on the right track. 

One thing to keep in mind: it didn't go on overnight, isn't going to come off overnight. Gradual, lasting changes are more likely to stick vs drastic, sudden losses.

A couple weeks ago I bought the scale in the link below. I thought it would be a good visual aid to have data compiled and graphed out.  Was really surprised with how much information it gives you.  I think it will help keep me focused on results. I recommend this or something similar.  

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.amazon.com/Bluetooth-FITINDEX-Wireless-Bathroom-Composition/dp/B078HW8BPY&ved=2ahUKEwiRj622ipLjAhVDOs0KHf93AUwQFjABegQIBRAC&usg=AOvVaw38GA833D4HAT9dzOAFIMD5

I use the Samsung fitness weight tracker. One thing I like that it does is that it calculates your weekly and monthly averages, and displays and graphs it along with your min and max for that period.

Some will say not to weigh yourself every day due to the daily fluctuations that your weight can have. This takes that out of the equation and provides a truer, Long term picture.

I do try to weigh myself at the same time every day though, and at least 4 days a week. And if some days I'm half a pound heavier, nothing to worry about, so long as the average is going in the right direction.

2 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

A couple weeks ago I bought the scale in the link below. I thought it would be a good visual aid to have data compiled and graphed out.  Was really surprised with how much information it gives you.  I think it will help keep me focused on results. I recommend this or something similar.  

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.amazon.com/Bluetooth-FITINDEX-Wireless-Bathroom-Composition/dp/B078HW8BPY&ved=2ahUKEwiRj622ipLjAhVDOs0KHf93AUwQFjABegQIBRAC&usg=AOvVaw38GA833D4HAT9dzOAFIMD5

I actually bought a smart scale today. Won't be here for a few days, but I can't wait to try it out and see what all it tracks.

1 hour ago, Zlinedavid said:

I use the Samsung fitness weight tracker. One thing I like that it does is that it calculates your weekly and monthly averages, and displays and graphs it along with your min and max for that period.

Some will say not to weigh yourself every day due to the daily fluctuations that your weight can have. This takes that out of the equation and provides a truer, Long term picture.

I do try to weigh myself at the same time every day though, and at least 4 days a week. And if some days I'm half a pound heavier, nothing to worry about, so long as the average is going in the right direction.

I agree. I think as long as people understand that their weight can fluctuate daily, they are fine weighing themselves every day. It is the people who don't get that and get frustrated who it can be a problem for. I actually think daily weighing with weekly and monthly data would help reinforce that it can fluctuate daily but still be on the right track.

11 hours ago, Leathernecks said:

I agree. I think as long as people understand that their weight can fluctuate daily, they are fine weighing themselves every day. It is the people who don't get that and get frustrated who it can be a problem for. I actually think daily weighing with weekly and monthly data would help reinforce that it can fluctuate daily but still be on the right track.

Agree. I think daily weighing is fine but pick one time and stick with it. Either right when you wake up or just before lunch,etc....I know from experience my weight can fluctuate as much as 5 lbs in a day with food/drink.

59 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

I had been looking on Craigslist and hadn't gotten to Facebook marketplace yet.  Good call!  Already found a brand new bench for half price.  Picking it up next week.  Let's hope I don't get scammed lol.

A ton of sales have moved to marketplace because you can at least check their profile, may even have mutual friends.  

9 hours ago, Leathernecks said:

I had been looking on Craigslist and hadn't gotten to Facebook marketplace yet.  Good call!  Already found a brand new bench for half price.  Picking it up next week.  Let's hope I don't get scammed lol.

Are you getting an Olympic or standard bench?

16 hours ago, Leathernecks said:

If you can find a good used one the Body Solid corner leverage gym is great. New, they're a little pricey.

Allows me to work out alone, without worrying about screaming for my wife to help me get these damned weights of my chest at 4 am 😁

6 hours ago, IUFLA said:

If you can find a good used one the Body Solid corner leverage gym is great. New, they're a little pricey.

Allows me to work out alone, without worrying about screaming for my wife to help me get these damned weights of my chest at 4 am 😁

I feel like there is a story behind that haha.

I'm probably going to get this for a squat rack.  It has good reviews for being pretty cheap, and is almost $100 cheaper on Ebay.  That machine does look pretty nice, but the price tag scares me!  I haven't seen any used ones in my search.

I like the idea of free weights instead of a machine so I can do a few more things.  At first I'll probably have 2 stations, one with the rack, and one without.  I want to get one decent bar, and if I can't find an extra decent, cheap bar I'll probably just take my one bar off when I need to.  Sounds annoying, but I don't want to spend any more money than I have to right now.

Archived