Weight loss motivation

26 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

I feel like there is a story behind that haha.

I'm probably going to get this for a squat rack.  It has good reviews for being pretty cheap, and is almost $100 cheaper on Ebay.  That machine does look pretty nice, but the price tag scares me!  I haven't seen any used ones in my search.

I like the idea of free weights instead of a machine so I can do a few more things.  At first I'll probably have 2 stations, one with the rack, and one without.  I want to get one decent bar, and if I can't find an extra decent, cheap bar I'll probably just take my one bar off when I need to.  Sounds annoying, but I don't want to spend any more money than I have to right now.

No, it's just a recurring nightmare 🙂

I always preferred free weights myself, because you have to control the weight and that in itself strengthens you. But, at this point in my life, I have to strike a balance between maintaining strength and safety. Us old fellas can pull things we didn't even know we had.

Good luck getting your equipment. It's is much better having your own stuff as opposed to going to a gym. I was never worried about the "social aspect" of working out. I just wanted to get in there and get my work done. Much easier at own house.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

No, it's just a recurring nightmare 🙂

I always preferred free weights myself, because you have to control the weight and that in itself strengthens you. But, at this point in my life, I have to strike a balance between maintaining strength and safety. Us old fellas can pull things we didn't even know we had.

Good luck getting your equipment. It's is much better having your own stuff as opposed to going to a gym. I was never worried about the "social aspect" of working out. I just wanted to get in there and get my work done. Much easier at own house.

That's one of the things I like about a rack.  I can set the safety bars in there, so I won't have to worry about the weights falling on me.  I think without those, it is easy to not do enough weight for fear of dropping it on yourself.

I ordered the things I mentioned, so the only thing I still need is the weights.  I guess they are kind of important.  At least weights are pretty easy to find used, and even rusty ones can be restored pretty easily.  The home gym will hopefully be up and running in no time!

There is no chance I'd be going to a gym.  Too far away, and I've never been somebody who likes to work out around people.

4 hours ago, Leathernecks said:

That is one of the benches I was choosing when I bought mine. Looks solid.  I ended up buying a York bench from wayfair.

The thing I found was you need a good bar.  This is one that I have and recommend 

https://www.amazon.com/CAP-Barbell-Olympic-1000-Pound-Capacity/dp/B001K4OPY2/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?keywords=cap+olympic+bar&qid=1562129823&s=gateway&sprefix=cap+oly&sr=8-3

A good bar has enclosed bearings and not the Allen screws that hold hold the sleeves on. 

12 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

That is one of the benches I was choosing when I bought mine. Looks solid.  I ended up buying a York bench from wayfair.

The thing I found was you need a good bar.  This is one that I have and recommend 

https://www.amazon.com/CAP-Barbell-Olympic-1000-Pound-Capacity/dp/B001K4OPY2/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?keywords=cap+olympic+bar&qid=1562129823&s=gateway&sprefix=cap+oly&sr=8-3

A good bar has enclosed bearings and not the Allen screws that hold hold the sleeves on. 

I had seen that about getting a good bar. Everywhere I looked people said don't skimp on the bar. I went with this one from Amazon. Looks to be in a similar range to the one you got which should hopefully do well for anything I'll need it for.

https://www.amazon.com/XMark-Lumberjack-Olympic-Manganese-Phosphate/dp/B01NBTGVNI/ref=redir_mobile_desktop?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&ref_=ya_aw_od_pi

My aunt's yard was his pretty hard in storms in May. I'll get to the weight loss motivation of this post shortly. Anyway she has two big barns full crap in her backyard. You want to lose weight? Go out in this heat (I've been helping her about 30 hours per week) and pickup trees, leaves, glass, shingles....I rented a roto tiller today and did a 20 yard by 25 yard area where new barns will go. Down 7 lbs!! Haha....although I just cracked a cold on so I'll be hydrating incorrectly.

3 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

My aunt's yard was his pretty hard in storms in May. I'll get to the weight loss motivation of this post shortly. Anyway she has two big barns full crap in her backyard. You want to lose weight? Go out in this heat (I've been helping her about 30 hours per week) and pickup trees, leaves, glass, shingles....I rented a roto tiller today and did a 20 yard by 25 yard area where new barns will go. Down 7 lbs!! Haha....although I just cracked a cold on so I'll be hydrating incorrectly.

10 lbs. in 5 days for me working in this stuff...

Been awhile but growing up my grandpa worked a small farm and garden that I worked on, I helped with my friends dads watermelon farm turning vines and harvesting.  Loading hay bales on to trailers.  

Point is, I was into sports most of my life, but farm work was the hardest and most rewarding work I've had to do.  I loved every minute of it. 

3 hours ago, BDB said:

I'm in.  Are you going to be doing the spreadsheet again?  It's going to be a rough couple of months as we have a vacation to Seattle and down the left coast the beginning- mid August.

I probably will. I'm going to have my first weigh in tonight, and I'll see how many others want to post theirs and go from there.

I got a smart scale that is supposed to measure body fat, so I might add that to it even though I've read that scales like that are notorious for fluctuating on those measurements. At least if used as an average over a long time it could give an idea of how things are progressing.

Well, had my first weigh in.

Came in at 271.1 pounds, and 33.3% body fat.  Holy crap, didn't know I had put on that much weight.

Looking forward to starting a new lifestyle tomorrow.

If anybody else wants to join in, post your numbers here and I'll get them organized tomorrow.

1 hour ago, Leathernecks said:

Well, had my first weigh in.

Came in at 271.1 pounds, and 33.3% body fat.  Holy crap, didn't know I had put on that much weight.

Looking forward to starting a new lifestyle tomorrow.

If anybody else wants to join in, post your numbers here and I'll get them organized tomorrow.

Damn Bro.  Out of curiosity, how tall are you?

Just now, rico said:

Dang LN..........start drinking lite beer!

I don't even drink!  I'd probably be 300+ if I did.

I've always had a big build though.  Even when I played baseball in college and ran 10+ miles a week along with practice, sprints, and lifting I still weighted 215.  And we didn't lift to bulk up at all.  I'm hoping to get down to that again.

It's just been a really stressful few months, and I (clearly) didn't cope very well.  Luckily the stress is mostly gone, and I've gone through my coping phase of eating a lot, so now I'm ready to go on my new phase.

1 minute ago, Leathernecks said:

I don't even drink!  I'd probably be 300+ if I did.

I've always had a big build though.  Even when I played baseball in college and ran 10+ miles a week along with practice, sprints, and lifting I still weighted 215.  And we didn't lift to bulk up at all.  I'm hoping to get down to that again.

It's just been a really stressful few months, and I (clearly) didn't cope very well.  Luckily the stress is mostly gone, and I've gone through my coping phase of eating a lot, so now I'm ready to go on my new phase.

Maybe you ought to start drinking?  LOL  You will be fine, best of luck.

31.7% BF

I'm 6'3" so I at least carry it well.

Weighed in at an all time 293 last April. Lost some and kept it off. A succession of injuries put me out and I got lazy but kept it off. Time to lose the rest of this fat suit.

Goal is 15% BF which would put me at 228.  

I had a friend lose 40lbs in a 2 year time frame. He swore his main trick was chugging two big glasses of water everytime before he ate... he would also take longer between each bite before he would start eating. Doing both of these methods he got the "full" feeling quicker and it cut down on his intake per meal drastically. Hope that can help someone. 

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

I had a friend lose 40lbs in a 2 year time frame. He swore his main trick was chugging two big glasses of water everytime before he ate... he would also take longer between each bite before he would start eating. Doing both of these methods he got the "full" feeling quicker and it cut down on his intake per meal drastically. Hope that can help someone. 

I think I shared last year. I went from 230 to 154 in one year about 13 years ago. Here's what I did. No beer, no carbs. Absolutely none. No cheat days. No I've been doing good so I'll eat some fries.  I walked 45 minutes at a 4.2 on treadmill pace 3x per day (early morning, lunch time, and after dinner) and over the course of the year I started adding push ups, weights, and running. I decided to take a full year off of the bad. Changed my life. I'm still in the 173 range but daily elliptical and walking/biking are a part of the life. Now I complain about 177 instead of 227.

For anyone out there thinking they have such a huge hurdle. I can tell you it can happen inside of a year. 

21 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I think I shared last year. I went from 230 to 154 in one year about 13 years ago. Here's what I did. No beer, no carbs. Absolutely none. No cheat days. No I've been doing good so I'll eat some fries.  I walked 45 minutes at a 4.2 on treadmill pace 3x per day (early morning, lunch time, and after dinner) and over the course of the year I started adding push ups, weights, and running. I decided to take a full year off of the bad. Changed my life. I'm still in the 173 range but daily elliptical and walking/biking are a part of the life. Now I complain about 177 instead of 227.

For anyone out there thinking they have such a huge hurdle. I can tell you it can happen inside of a year. 

That's awesome!  I wouldn't mind losing 74 pounds in a year, but that is some dedication!  I need to teach myself some healthier habits before I'd be ready to jump into that.  I'm working on finding some healthier recipes and planning my meals ahead of time, and I am hopeful to work my way up to something like that.  I know myself enough to know I could never do it cold turkey.

9 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

That's awesome!  I wouldn't mind losing 74 pounds in a year, but that is some dedication!  I need to teach myself some healthier habits before I'd be ready to jump into that.  I'm working on finding some healthier recipes and planning my meals ahead of time, and I am hopeful to work my way up to something like that.  I know myself enough to know I could never do it cold turkey.

I won't try to play teacher. Weight loss is a personal thing. Just know it can be done. What helped me and to this day 10+ years later is I take a couple hours on Sunday night and make carb free foods to have in fridge. Could be 40 Bob Evans sausages. I always have an egg/mushroom/asparagus type casserole ready to heat. Could be just deviled eggs. Or 99 cent cheese slices from the store. Those couple of hours on a Sunday to me at least (besides the daily commitment to exercise) is my most important time of the week. 

13 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I won't try to play teacher. Weight loss is a personal thing. Just know it can be done. What helped me and to this day 10+ years later is I take a couple hours on Sunday night and make carb free foods to have in fridge. Could be 40 Bob Evans sausages. I always have an egg/mushroom/asparagus type casserole ready to heat. Could be just deviled eggs. Or 99 cent cheese slices from the store. Those couple of hours on a Sunday to me at least (besides the daily commitment to exercise) is my most important time of the week. 

I always hear that meal prepping is one of the best ways to lose weight.  I'm going to try to start making some meals ahead.  I think just having some quick options available in the fridge would be a huge help.  

Archived