Build the list. Rank IU's top all time BB players

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Zlinedavid said:

I believe this was meant to be categorical, not ordinal.  Translation: There's no order or rank implied by the numbers. 

So I can add Priller now because eventually we would make it to him anyway?  

I thought it was an interesting topic when it was a true ranking.  If it's just a list, then someone can just post a link to a database of all players and be done with it.

11 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Sticking with my theory that this thread is more interesting if we are truly trying to rank players.

#24 - Yogi Ferrell

I would put myself at around 45 since I use to play a lot of games when I was a kid pretending to play for IU

21 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

So I can add Priller now because eventually we would make it to him anyway?  

I thought it was an interesting topic when it was a true ranking.  If it's just a list, then someone can just post a link to a database of all players and be done with it.

Hey. I'm flexible.

Changing out 1) Walt Bellamy for 1)  Calbert Cheaney. 

10 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

It's ok.  We''ll go with rankings, instead of just listing. I just changed my number one. 

Also what are you grading on as well, is it the most talented or who had the best career.  To me there might be some who might be more talented but not on top of my list because they did not win at a high level or did not stay long enough to have the stats.

9 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Also what are you grading on as well, is it the most talented or who had the best career.  To me there might be some who might be more talented but not on top of my list because they did not win at a high level or did not stay long enough to have the stats.

Boy are you difficult.  Just kidding.  Honestly did not think about all that.  Just guys I felt stood out from the crowd. 

Sorry Scott, but any list without Jimmy Rayl on it is incomplete.

In no particular order, Schlundt, Leonard, Dees, Bellamy, Rayl, Tom and Dick Van Arsdale, McGlocklin, May, Buckner, Benson, the rest of the 75 and 76 teams, McGinnis,  Landon Turner, Woodson, Downing, , Thomas, Cheaney, Alford, Bailey, Henderson, Guyton, Olidipo, Morgan, and maybe a few more fo the defensive greats.  Also, Everett Dean, Branch McCracken and Bobby Knight.

Any tem with all of those guys would be pretty hard to beat in any era.

10 minutes ago, IUguy said:

In no particular order, Schlundt, Leonard, Dees, Bellamy, Rayl, Tom and Dick Van Arsdale, McGlocklin, May, Buckner, Benson, the rest of the 75 and 76 teams, McGinnis,  Landon Turner, Woodson, Downing, , Thomas, Cheaney, Alford, Bailey, Henderson, Guyton, Olidipo, Morgan, and maybe a few more fo the defensive greats.  Also, Everett Dean, Branch McCracken and Bobby Knight.

Luke Brown, by himself, could beat any combination of those players in their prime, playing 1 on 5.

According to at least one poster here.   9_9

12 minutes ago, IUguy said:

Of all those guys you listed there.  The only two I did not see play were Dean, and McCracken.

I think it is hard to rank the players across generations.  Does Cheaney look as good now when he likely would never have stayed past his Sophomore year?  Do V.O. and Zeller look better if they stay another year and be part of a starting five that has 4 NBA players (V.O., Zeller, Vonleh, and Ferrell)?  If that group goes to a Final 4 or wins a Championship, does that move any of those 4 up the list?  What if Gordon plays 2 or 3 years more?  Langford?  Cheaney and Co. came in as a super class and went 8-10 in the Big Ten.  He scored 17 ppg his Freshman year and 21 ppg his sophomore.  Are we looking at him like we do Langford, V.O., Vonleh, Gordon, etc. if he played in today's game?

On 7/2/2019 at 10:34 AM, milehiiu said:

Of all those guys you listed there.  The only two I did not see play were Dean, and McCracken.

They were coaches.  If you watched Bellamy and Rayl, McCracken was their coach.  Not sure how long he was there, but it was for a long time, ending around 1963/64.  He may have coached some of the other early players I listed, or maybe it was Dean before him.

Archived