Build the list. Rank IU's top all time BB players

On 7/2/2019 at 10:30 AM, Madison22 said:

Luke Brown, by himself, could beat any combination of those players in their prime, playing 1 on 5.

According to at least one poster here.   9_9

Sorry Madison, but I must have a memory lapse.  I just don't remember Luke Brown.  When did he play?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, IUCrazy2 said:

I think it is hard to rank the players across generations.  Does Cheaney look as good now when he likely would never have stayed past his Sophomore year?  Do V.O. and Zeller look better if they stay another year and be part of a starting five that has 4 NBA players (V.O., Zeller, Vonleh, and Ferrell)?  If that group goes to a Final 4 or wins a Championship, does that move any of those 4 up the list?  What if Gordon plays 2 or 3 years more?  Langford?  Cheaney and Co. came in as a super class and went 8-10 in the Big Ten.  He scored 17 ppg his Freshman year and 21 ppg his sophomore.  Are we looking at him like we do Langford, V.O., Vonleh, Gordon, etc. if he played in today's game?

Good points. Vic (hello, national player of the year and #2 draft pick after leading us to a B1G title) is clearly on the list, however anyone wants to rank him. Always hard to rank players across generations and those who play for the U only a year or two, though everyone recognizes McGinnis has to be on the list -- while he played only one year after sitting out (as then required) his frosh year. EJ has to be on the list. Vonleh, well, no lol.

11 minutes ago, IUguy said:

They were coaches.  If you watched Bellamy and Rayl, McCracken was their coach.  Not sure how long he was there, but it was for a long time, ending around 1963/64.  He may have coached some of the other early players I listed, or maybe it was Dean before him.

Dean (1918-1921) and McCracken (1928-1930...he played for Dean) were both All-American players at IU as well as coaching them

29 minutes ago, IUguy said:

They were coaches.  If you watched Bellamy and Rayl, McCracken was their coach.  Not sure how long he was there, but it was for a long time, ending around 1963/64.  He may have coached some of the other early players I listed, or maybe it was Dean before him.

You are correct. Both were coaches.

However, prior to that time, they both played for IU. And that is what I was referring to. I did not see either of them as players.

Everett Dean

Branch McCracken

However, I did watch McCracken, as he took Jimmy Rayl out of the game early when Jimmy tied his record of 56 points in a game.   Never giving Jimmy a chance to break his own record, and set a new single game scoring record for IU.

On 7/3/2019 at 11:02 AM, milehiiu said:

You are correct. Both were coaches.

However, prior to that time, they both played for IU. And that is what I was referring to. I did not see either of them as players.

Everett Dean

Branch McCracken

However, I did watch McCracken, as he took Jimmy Rayl out of the game early when Jimmy tied his record of 56 points in a game.   Never giving Jimmy a chance to break his own record, and set a new single game scoring record for IU.

I was there, sitting right by the bench.  I remember it well.

37 minutes ago, IUguy said:

I was there, sitting right by the bench.  I remember it well.

That's cool.  I saw it on tv.  Did you feel as I ?  Where you disappointed when Branch sat Jimmy down, with plenty of time to break his own record ?

32 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

That's cool.  I saw it on tv.  Did you feel as I ?  Where you disappointed when Branch sat Jimmy down, with plenty of time to break his own record ?

Yep!  Jimmy was amazing that night.  Shooting, driving and free throws.  I don't remember how many outside shots he hit, but if there was a three point line back then he probably would have been close to 70.

Archived