George McGinnis on the Radio Today

9 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Every time I hear Jay Bilas carrying on about Zion Williamson and how "we've never seen a player like him" I think, "Yes I have. Only George McGinnis was better."

It's funny. My uncle is in town from Seattle and we were talking earlier today about hoops, IU,etc...and McGinnis name was brought up. Without hesitation he brought up his Washington team with Downing and one other (I forget his name). He said McGinnis besides a couple others was so far advanced. Made everyone look silly. He even posed his 1 handed shot. GM was before me but I'm going to find some video. Wish I could have seen him play.

29 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

It's funny. My uncle is in town from Seattle and we were talking earlier today about hoops, IU,etc...and McGinnis name was brought up. Without hesitation he brought up his Washington team with Downing and one other (I forget his name). He said McGinnis besides a couple others was so far advanced. Made everyone look silly. He even posed his 1 handed shot. GM was before me but I'm going to find some video. Wish I could have seen him play.

Had the pleasure of watching "Big George". Both as a Hoosier. And a Denver Nugget.

03-11-79 Washington Bullets at Denver Nuggets 

46 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

The other guy was probably Wayne Pack. He played at Tennessee Tech and eventually for the Pacers. 3 guys on 1 high school team who played in the pros.

The only other high school team I saw that was in the same class as that 1969 Indianapolis Washington team was the East Chicago Washington team in 1971. Pete Trgovich (UCLA), Junior Bridgeman (Louisville), and Tim Stoddard (NC State) all played for that team. Stoddard eventually pitched for the Cubs.

19 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

The other guy was probably Wayne Pack. He played at Tennessee Tech and eventually for the Pacers. 3 guys on 1 high school team who played in the pros.

The only other high school team I saw that was in the same class as that 1969 Indianapolis Washington team was the East Chicago Washington team in 1971. Pete Trgovich (UCLA), Junior Bridgeman (Louisville), and Tim Stoddard (NC State) all played for that team. Stoddard eventually pitched for the Cubs.

Pack was his name! My uncle is an IU guy class of 81 or so but grew up in Carmel before being in Seattle. The great part was he said the lineup in 7 seconds like it was last night's team. Fun times to discuss.

29 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

You nailed it in terms of that EC Washington team. Considered by many to be one, if not the greatest high school teams to ever play in Indiana.  Not only did Stoddard become a pro baseball player, but Bridgeman spent time in the NBA.

1971 East Chicago Washington Senators - A Team For The Ages 

50 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

You nailed it in terms of that EC Washington team. Considered by many to be one, if not the greatest high school teams to ever play in Indiana.  Not only did Stoddard become a pro baseball player, but Bridgeman spent time in the NBA.

1971 East Chicago Washington Senators - A Team For The Ages 

Thanks, good stuff. I remember that game very well. Elkhart had a kid named Carl Macon that was very good, but he couldn't beat a great team like EC Washington by himself.

The funny thing is, Trgovich was the most highly thought of coming out of high school, and was recruited by John Wooden at UCLA. But as you said, Bridgeman, who was 3rd fiddle on that EC Washington team had a 10+ year career in the NBA, and is still top 10 in career scoring for the Bucks.

All 3 guys played in an NCAA final 4. Stoddard in 74 (won), Trgovich in 73, 74, and 75 (won in 73 and 75) and Bridgeman in 75 (lost by 1 point to UCLA in the semis).

Great memories. What I wouldn't give to hear Tom Carnegie and Tony Hinkle call just one more game...

2 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

His one-handed shot was unique and deadly accurate.  Find some video...you're in for a treat.

18 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Pack was his name! My uncle is an IU guy class of 81 or so but grew up in Carmel before being in Seattle. The great part was he said the lineup in 7 seconds like it was last night's team. Fun times to discuss.

Your uncle and I are about the same age then. Those were really special years in Indiana high school basketball. 

Me and my dad would watch the Indianapolis semi-state, then the finals...every year from about 1964 into the late 70s. Great memories. 

3 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Your uncle and I are about the same age then. Those were really special years in Indiana high school basketball. 

Me and my dad would watch the Indianapolis semi-state, then the finals...every year from about 1964 into the late 70s. Great memories. 

Yep. My Mom went to Carmel in 60's and my Dad went to Arlington at same time. The stories about O and plenty other high school stars, games, Hinkle, sectionals,etc.... is why even being raised in Chicago there was no way I wasn't going to IU. 

Archived