Way too early BIG power rankings

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

8th is a fair ranking for IU.

As far as some of the other teams.

• Purdue is going to miss Carsen more than people think
  • Penn State always seems to underachieve.  I will be surprised if IU finishes behind them.
  • I will be shocked if Wisconsin finishes as low as 11th.  They may not have the talent as years past, but they have a winning culture, and that means something.

I found the ranking lacking. In terms of IU.  Not one mention of Indiana's dark horse.  As TDH put it.  IU's forgotten man.  Jerome Hunter.  Understood that his status remains up in the air. However any discussion of power rankings begs Hunter's return to the lineup IMHO.

And what about another wildcard.  Mention was made of De'Ron.  But over looked the fact that this may be the first year he comes in injury free.

IU Basketball: Jerome Hunter’s Status Still Uncertain Going Into the Summer – The Daily Hoosier

14 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

I found the ranking lacking. In terms of IU.  Not one mention of Indiana's dark horse.  As TDH put it.  IU's forgotten man.  Jerome Hunter.  Understood that his status remains up in the air. However any discussion of power rankings begs Hunter's return to the lineup IMHO.

And what about another wildcard.  Mention was made of De'Ron.  But over looked the fact that this may be the first year he comes in injury free.

IU Basketball: Jerome Hunter’s Status Still Uncertain Going Into the Summer – The Daily Hoosier

I've let my IU bias cloud my outlook the last 3 seasons.  Not going to fall for it again.  Not sure the core of this team has what it takes to be a big winner.  Maybe in another year or two, but until then, 6th-10th sounds like the place IU should be.  

If IU finishes 8th in the B1G, CAM will be swirling around the drain.  Right now 2020 recruiting has not produced anything of note except more expectations.  2021 is a deep and talented class in the state, but if CAM hasn't got a contract extension,  there's no guarantee that he'll be around to coach them very long.

Don't get me wrong I like CAM and he's got potential, but the results as far as record are negligible at best.  I don't like changing coaches frequently, but I need to see results before I'm going to fall in love. 

Hard to take seeing us 8th but understandable after last years debacle and then losing our two best players. Early ratings do not mean anything but who would have guessed that a few years into the Archie era we would be ranked below Illinois and Penn State...ouch.

Hopefully TJD, Hunter, Rob etc make this early pre-season ranking look bad.

Unfortunately, 8th seems reasonable, although I think the Big Ten is wide open this year.  There just doesn't seem to be any team that is loaded with talent. Sucks that OSU has not missed a beat with their new coach. I hope IU can finally surprise all of us and have a much better year than expected.  If Davis and Hunter are healthy, that would certainly help.

Seems fair. Honestly until we win and win consistently middle of the pack is what we are. I don't know what all of the other teams have but to me IU is potentially the biggest wild card in conference. As others have said if Hunter is healthy he's a top 40 addition, if Davis is healthy we know the impact he can have.....add in TJD/Brunk and another year of experience of RP. 4-5 new additions. Might make us pretty good actually but until we prove it 8th seems about right.

2 hours ago, Chad B said:

Unfortunately, 8th seems reasonable, although I think the Big Ten is wide open this year.  There just doesn't seem to be any team that is loaded with talent. Sucks that OSU has not missed a beat with their new coach. I hope IU can finally surprise all of us and have a much better year than expected.  If Davis and Hunter are healthy, that would certainly help.

MSU says hello.

6 hours ago, Chad B said:

This early projection has 6 BIG teams in the top 20.  Good ol IU comes in at 55.

http://www.barttorvik.com/trankpre.php?conlimit=All&state=All&year=2020&sort=

20 hours ago, 5fouls said:

I've let my IU bias cloud my outlook the last 3 seasons.  Not going to fall for it again.  Not sure the core of this team has what it takes to be a big winner.  Maybe in another year or two, but until then, 6th-10th sounds like the place IU should be.  

I tend to agree.  I do think outside of MSU that we're as talented as anyone in the league.  But until Archie proves he can coach I just have to doubt him from here on out.  He's failed us too many times already.

20 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

I tend to agree.  I do think outside of MSU that we're as talented as anyone in the league.  But until Archie proves he can coach I just have to doubt him from here on out.  He's failed us too many times already.

🤣 How has he failed us so many times since he has been here only two years.  You are so brain washed from your time at rivals that you can't think for yourself.  I guess coaches like Wright, Bennet and coach K would have lost you after two years as well.  Archie did quit well at a mid major and took them to an elite 8 so that proves he can coach.  also another year he took at team of 6 scholarship players and no one taller than 6'6 to the tournament as well.

7 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

🤣 How has he failed us so many times since he has been here only two years.  You are so brain washed from your time at rivals that you can't think for yourself.  I guess coaches like Wright, Bennet and coach K would have lost you after two years as well.  Archie did quit well at a mid major and took them to an elite 8 so that proves he can coach.  also another year he took at team of 6 scholarship players and no one taller than 6'6 to the tournament as well.

Uh those absolute choke jobs to ISU and FW at home.  Failing to make the dance with 2 of the top 6-7 guys in the B1G last year who were healthy all season.  The other absolute choke job against OSU in the NCAA tourney play in game.  Losing Brooks to our most hated rival when he was an in state kid and his father's college coach was on staff.  We could go on and on.

13 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

Uh those absolute choke jobs to ISU and FW at home.  Failing to make the dance with 2 of the top 6-7 guys in the B1G last year who were healthy all season.  The other absolute choke job against OSU in the NCAA tourney play in game.  Losing Brooks to our most hated rival when he was an in state kid and his father's college coach was on staff.  We could go on and on.

Is that a new avatar ? 

1 hour ago, dbmhoosier said:

Failing to make the dance with 2 of the top 6-7 guys in the B1G last year who were healthy all season.

Who was that?  Romeo was hurt most of the year, and Morgan wasn't thought of as one of the best 6-7 in the B1G, so I'm curious who you are referring to?

12 minutes ago, Muddy River said:

Who was that?  Romeo was hurt most of the year, and Morgan wasn't thought of as one of the best 6-7 in the B1G, so I'm curious who you are referring to?

https://iuhoosiers.com/news/2018/12/18/mens-basketball-morgan-earns-usbwa-oscar-robertson-national-player-of-the-week-honors.aspx

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/college-basketball-rankings-the-top-100-and-one-best-players-for-the-2018-19-season/

1 hour ago, dbmhoosier said:

Romeo was injured most of the year and while losing to ISU and Fort Wayne was  not good that was early on so I can forgive those games.  You need to look at things in the long view and not be so short sited.  Just go back to your home on rivals where more people will agree with your point of view.  I would bet Fepaugh needs to someone to kiss his back side over there and you use to do a good job of that.

19 hours ago, Brass Cannon said:

That seems to be a very fair ranking. But as an IU fan also pretty unacceptable. That both the schools that made hires the same year as us are ahead of us is unacceptable. 

I've tried to point this out in the past. Evidently there are endless excuses why everyone else just does better.

8th is pretty pitiful for year 3. But I would bet it ends up more like 10 or 11.

Archived