Way too early BIG power rankings

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 7/8/2019 at 6:05 PM, CoachSS said:

I really liked him at the start of the year but as the season went on, I grew less and less interested with his game. It seemed his only offensive interest was driving to the basket in hopes of getting fouled so he could shoot free throw's. In the Illini's last five games of the season, Feliz scored 59 points. A solid per-game average. But 29 of them came at the FT line. He hit only 3 three-pointers after the clock struck Midnight on December 31st. I don't think that's very good for a Big Ten guard. 

I think we can agree his defense is pretty solid but I just don't rate his game very highly. I don't think he's a good shooter from deep (small sample size of only a season, yes) and his handle looks average, at best. While he is an athletic fit for Underwood, no doubt, I'm not sure he is that talented of a basketball player. 

I'm glad you chimed in. Always nice to get sensible and measured takes. Thank you!!!! -SS

Interesting. You are correct, his strength on offense is driving and getting to the rim to score or get fouled (and occasionally dish to a teammate). Early in the season he was frequently out of control and forced way too many drives, getting shots blocked and turning it over. His biggest improvement was curtailing those drives and becoming much better at knowing when to attack and when to pull back. His efficiency numbers were better in conference than in non-conference which is unusual for a first year player.

His outside shot does need work, but that's why he's a guy coming off the bench and not starting. If we could only combine him with DaMonte Williams, who has a pretty decent outside shot but is very reluctant to try and score....

Archived